Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I need help please.

Likes (received)

There is no Niten Ichi Ryu in Texas that I'm aware of.

The Yagyu Shinkage Ryu school will cover both kenjutsu and iaijutsu; it's a complete sword art.

In San Antonio, there is iaido (the modern -dou form of iaijutsu), and there's also several iaido dojo in Lubbock, Dallas, and the Houston area (including Mugai Ryu in Houston). But no Niten Ichi Ryu.
    -L.

Likes (received)

The Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu in Denton is affiliated with the Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Seitokai. Our rank certificates list the style as MJER Iai-heiho. Of course the 22nd soke of MJER, Ikeda-soke, is also the president of the Zen Nippon Iaido Renmei. I would avoid getting to hung up on the distinction between Iaido and Iaijutsu. There's a pretty big difference between Kendo and Kenjutsu systems, but the distinction between Iaido and Iaijutsu is very gray.

To my knowledge there are no Niten Ichi Ryu dojos anywhere in Texas.

BTW, The Iaido in San Antonio is Yamauchi Ha Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu and is not modern at all. It is a group associated with Scott Irey-sensei up in Seattle. It is pretty thoroughly koryu. That is assuming you are referring to Dianne Mirro-sensei's Iai group at River City Iaido. I think there is also a Kendo renmei group there that does the ZNKR Setei Iai which is fairly modern.

There are a few Mugai Ryu folks who would argue that the Mugai Ryu in Houston is less than orthodox.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

I thought Mirro-sensei's group WAS the group that did ZNKR stuff as well? Or is it just that the kendo dojo shares space with them?
    -L.

Likes (received)

She seperated from the Kendo Renmei group a few years ago and joined Irey-sensei's group. I think there is still a ZNKR dojo in the same place, and maybe there are a few students who do both, but they are seperate groups with different instructors, doing very different iai.
    Charles Mahan

and building new ones.

Likes (received)

i appreciate all the help, i probable should just learn one sword for now.
    William J. Toohey

We mortals are but shadows and dust, but they who are legend never perish.

Likes (received)

Even if you found a Niten Ichi Ryu dojo, one sword is all you would learn for quite some time...

Good luck with the Shinkage Ryu - you're lucky to have such a school nearby...!
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Default Opportunities in Waco ...

Hey Lane,
    Waco has its own opportunities. I believe that there is a dojo at Baylor that practices Minoru Mochizuki's Yoseikan Aikido. From what I understand, aikido is a bit of a misnomer since they don't resemble most of the aikido groups out there. Anyway, they have their own sword curriculum as part of their practice.

Phil Farmer, a member of e-budo, could tell you more about it if you shoot him a PM.

Cheers,
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Yes; I dropped by their practice the other day. Honestly, everyone there was nice and helpful, but it just didn't seem something that really matched up with what I wanted, and counter-productive to some other, non-Japanese arts that I'm training in (specifically, they did quite a bit of Shotokan karate, which is counter-productive to my Thai boxing).

I'm thinking (really hard) about driving up on Sundays to the Dallas Kendo Kyokai for iaido and kendo practice.
    -L.

Likes (received)

The DFWKIK guys are good folks. If that doesn't work out, Denton's only another half hour up the road.
    Charles Mahan

and building new ones.

Likes (received)

I did check out the Denton dojo's web page. I'm still young and dumb enough to like hitting people with sticks, however. But by all means, I'll keep my mind open.

Thanks guys.
    -L.

Likes (received)

Well, you would get to hit people with sticks eventually, but we don't do kumitachi during the first 5 or 6 years of the curriculum.
    Charles Mahan

and building new ones.

Likes (received)

And see, I don't know where I'll be living three years from now (hopefully the Dallas area).

Like I said, I'm not precluding anything yet. I may drop by sometime and just check everything out, when I have time.

Right now, though, I'm 2 weeks away from finals. Eek.
    -L.

Likes (received)

Default Baylor Cross-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Haygood
    Yes; I dropped by their practice the other day. Honestly, everyone there was nice and helpful, but it just didn't seem something that really matched up with what I wanted, and counter-productive to some other, non-Japanese arts that I'm training in (specifically, they did quite a bit of Shotokan karate, which is counter-productive to my Thai boxing).
    I can understand that. Just to let you know though - The Baylor Yoseikan dojo cross trains a lot with the Shotokan dojo. If you found it to be more Shotokan in focus it might have been on the Shotokan night (I don't remember if they do one night of each or this one this week the other the next). It might be worth a second look and a talk with John Harrell who is the Yoseikan Sensei there. Chris Flood is one of the Shotokan Sensei and is ikkyu in Yoseikan and suppose to test for Shodan in Yoseikan soon. Chris might also be able to point you in the right direction in where to look (he has trained in lots of places).
    Robert Cheshire
    Yoseikan Teacher
    www.yoseikanbudo.us
    www.fagri-igraf.org/

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Haygood
    I thought Mirro-sensei's group WAS the group that did ZNKR stuff as well? Or is it just that the kendo dojo shares space with them?
    The River City group (in San Antonio) practices both MJER and ZNKR iaido. The two groups are taught under different instructors and students may practice one or the other, but not both. Most of the students do, however, also train in kendo regardless of the iaido style practiced.

Chris Gamel
    Chris Gamel

Likes (received)

Oh, I have nothing against the Yoseikan organization or the Baylor group. I met sensei Harrell and a lot of the students, and they're all really, really nice people. I think it's a great place to train, but just not really what I'm looking for.
    -L.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast