Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kenjutso/Iaijutso in or around Dallas, TX

Likes (received)

Default Kenjutso/Iaijutso in or around Dallas, TX

Greetings,
    I am looking for a Kenjutso/Iaijutso dojo somewhere in the dallas area. If anyone could help I would really appreciate it. Been trying to find a suitable sword art school for some time. Thankyou for your time and consideration.

Respectfully,
    Vince Inglhofer

Likes (received)

Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu is taught in Denton TX by John Ray sensei. He is the senior instructor in the US for the 22nd soke, Ikeda Takashi.

http://www.dentondojo.com/
    Douglas Wylie

Do not learn philosophy from fortune cookie.

Likes (received)

Hello Vince,
    Japanese sword arts are pretty slim pickings for an area with as much population as DFW. Shoot me an email and I can fill you in on pretty much everything in the area.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Oh I don't think it's all that bad comparatively. Ray-sensei's up here in Denton, you're in Plano, and then there are at least two different Kendo groups. One in Addison and one in Southlake.

4 isn't too bad considering how little there is in other areas.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

I guess you're right. But I think of the Los Angeles area, or the Seattle area, or New York. They've got bunches of choices. I've always felt that, for the number of people that live in this area, there just seems to be a lack of interest in the Japanese arts in general. Especially when you consider that there are several universities and several large Japanese companies in the area. Too many cowboys, not enough samurai!
    Paul Smith

Likes (received)

Vince,

You are more than welcome to swing by the dojo and watch practice during any of the regular training sessions listed on the website Doug posted. Saturday morning is a good choice, as we all head down to a mexican food place for late breakfast. It's a good oppurtunity to ask questions and get to know people.
    Charles Mahan

and building new ones.

Likes (received)

thankyou guys very much for your prompt reply....unfortunately saturdays are out for me.....I work commission and Sat is one of the best days.....cant miss it.....but I am off on Thursdays......but this week I am preparing for Scarborough Faire......as I will be working the Angelsword booth. If you guys ever want an exceptionally made weapon check out the website Angelsword.com or come swing by Scarboroughe Faire down by Waxahachie. Should be pretty fun.

Likes (received)

whoops...forgot my name....lolz

Vince Inglhofer

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by nugget96
    thankyou guys very much for your prompt reply....unfortunately saturdays are out for me.....I work commission and Sat is one of the best days.....cant miss it.....but I am off on Thursdays......but this week I am preparing for Scarborough Faire......as I will be working the Angelsword booth. If you guys ever want an exceptionally made weapon check out the website Angelsword.com or come swing by Scarboroughe Faire down by Waxahachie. Should be pretty fun.
    I don't know if Ricky Mangus is working the booth this year, but if he is say hi. I'm afraid we aren't really much interested in the swords at Angelsword for training purposes. Unless they've changed substantially in the last couple of years or so, the katana like swords don't really meet our needs. Don't get me wrong, they look like nice weapons, and there's a lot of cool stuff coming out of Angelsword, but not really anything that we can use for training.

Having worked commission for 5 years I can sympathize. Saturday is typically our most crowded class, so perhaps it's just as well. There are classes on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday as well. Tuesday night doesn't start until 7pm so it's easier to deal with traffic.
    Charles Mahan

and building new ones.

Likes (received)

Default thread drift

<<I guess you're right. But I think of the Los Angeles area, or the Seattle area, or New York. They've got bunches of choices.>>

Sorry for the thread drift but I just realized that the Baltimore, DC, Northern VA area (all within an hour or so drive from any one location, depending on traffic) has a lot of Koryu. I know of off hand:

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Yagyu Shinkage-ryu heiho and Seigo-ryu batto
    Jikishinkage-ryu heiho
    5 Shindo Muso-ryu jo grous with the various weapons
    Katori Shinto-ryu
    Muso Shinden-ryu
    Masaki-ryu manrikigusari
    Toyama-ryu batto/Nakamura-ryu batto
    Mugai-ryu iai-heiho
    a branch of Heki-ryu kyudo

And I might be missing a few.

I am not including kendo, seitei iai, judo, aikido, karate, etc. dojo either.

Wow!
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Mark Murray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kendoguy9
    <<I guess you're right. But I think of the Los Angeles area, or the Seattle area, or New York. They've got bunches of choices.>>

Sorry for the thread drift but I just realized that the Baltimore, DC, Northern VA area (all within an hour or so drive from any one location, depending on traffic) has a lot of Koryu. I know of off hand:

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Yagyu Shinkage-ryu heiho and Seigo-ryu batto
    Jikishinkage-ryu heiho
    5 Shindo Muso-ryu jo grous with the various weapons
    Katori Shinto-ryu
    Muso Shinden-ryu
    Masaki-ryu manrikigusari
    Toyama-ryu batto/Nakamura-ryu batto
    Mugai-ryu iai-heiho
    a branch of Heki-ryu kyudo

And I might be missing a few.

I am not including kendo, seitei iai, judo, aikido, karate, etc. dojo either.

Wow!
    wow, is right. I knew there were a few, but not that many.

Could you list the 5 SMR jo groups? I knew of a few, but not that many.

Where is the Daito ryu located? Do they have open seminars? If PM is better, that'd be okay.

Thanks and sorry for the thread drift,

Likes (received)

Huff-sensei(MJER Seitokai/ZNIR under Maruyama-sensei) still has a few students training in Woodbridge, Va as well.
    Charles Mahan

and building new ones.

Likes (received)

the angesword weapons are designed to do one thing......CUT......and they are superior in doing it.....the top 5 places in tamashigiri are held with his swords. anyways.....ill be getting a bokken from them as well. I have already emailed and gotten a response from the sensei at The Dojo.....he informed of a location in plano....that is even closer to me.....but that one is more toward tamashigiri........what do you guys think as a good course of action......learning cutting....or the more intense discipline and solo forms at the dojo in denton. Thank you guys for all your help and information.

respectfully,
    Vince Inglhofer

Likes (received)

Well. Paul Smith, who posted above, is the guy in Plano that Ray-sensei pointed you towards.

I'm reasonably certain Smith-sensei does more than just tameshigiri. We don't do it at all in Denton. It was banned within our organization by the 21st soke. What you might ought to do is ask Smith-sensei if it is ok to sit in on a class and observe.
    Charles Mahan

and building new ones.

Likes (received)

I'm reasonably certain Smith-sensei does more than just tameshigiri.
    Yup!
    Most of our practice consists of kata and kumitachi. We only cut once every six to eight weeks.

... the top 5 places in tamashigiri are held with his swords.
    Gotta point out that the cutting competition that Mr. Watson held at the Texas Ren Faire is not tameshigiri. First, he was using Bugei wara, which is very easy to cut. Second, tameshigiri is about testing what a person has learned in their practice. It is as much about proper attitude and body positioning as it is about completing the cut. It's very easy to learn how to cut something with a sharp sword (or even a dull one for that matter). It's much harder to learn how to properly use a Japanese sword in the manner that it was intended to be used.

Cheers,
    Last edited by pgsmith; 7th April 2006 at 17:10.
    Paul Smith

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast