Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Range of Motion in Joints...

Likes (received)

Default Range of Motion in Joints...

specifically the big toe joint. I can't seem to get my toes to bend upward by much. Is there anyway to increast the ROM in these joints?
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,
    Tatsujin Photography & Design

Likes (received)

It's all genetics.....you have to live with what you have.
    Shawn Bailey

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnBailey
    It's all genetics.....you have to live with what you have.
    May be. I did a lap around our dojo in SHIKKO (knee walking) every class for two years and it did nothing for my ROM.
    Don J. Modesto
    Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    ------------------------
    http://theaikidodojo.com/

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Chambers
    ...I can't seem to get my toes to bend upward by much. Is there anyway to increast the ROM in these joints?
    First, exactly what are you trying to do?

Are you having trouble pulling your toe upward under its own power (a matter of the muscles that control that movement), or is the ROM small even when trying to bend your toe up with your hand (a matter of the structure of the joint itself)?
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

I can bend it further by hand than with muscle control. How would you work that muscle?
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,

Likes (received)

The passive range of motion of a joint (you/someone else externally moving it) is always more so than the active RoM (moving it with your own musculature).

I'm afraid I don't think there's much that can be done to inscrease the range of motion.
    JC McCrae

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Chambers
    I can bend it further by hand than with muscle control. How would you work that muscle?
    Okay, we've elliminated a problem in the joint, since your PROM (Passive Range of Motion) seems to be adequate.

Increasing the AROM (Active Range of Motion) may or may not be possible. It depends somewhat on how the nerves and brain section that control the extensor muscles are wired, and -- suprisingly -- it's not the same in all people. Some have more control of the individual muscles than others. But most people can increase their AROM somewhat.

You need to start by developing the fine motor control in the flexors and extensors. One exercise is to practice lifting one toe or group of toes without lifting the others. Sit on the edge of a chair in bare feet, with your feet flat on the floor. While looking at your feet, try to lift just your big toe a fraction of an inch. Then try to lift all your toes, then just the four small toes, then all the toes, and then back to just the big toe. Repeat the cycle several times with each foot. Do this every night, increasing the amount of lift gradually.

Another exercise is to practice picking up objects, like sticks and pencils, with your toes, and then releasing them when and where you want. Sit on the edge of your bed and do this just before going to sleep every night. Start with a few reps on a thick stick and work your way up to several reps on a thin pencil.

Don't expect large or quick improvements. Slow and stready wins this race.

HTH.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Oh, almost forgot:

Get a basic anatomy book -- I recommend The Anatomy Coloring Book and some crayons or colored pencils -- and study the anatomy of the foot and leg.

Studies have shown that the better you can visualize what's moving what, the better you can learn to control it.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Maybe I am one who can't improve it. I am already a pro at picking things up with my feet. hell, I can even write with one of them.

But I will give the above a shot. Thank you all.
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,

Likes (received)

I have a similar problem with both my big toes. In my case, I think it is due to many many years of kicking resulting in arthritis at the first tarsometatarsal joint (the joint between the big toe and the foot) and scarring in the ligaments and capsule around the joint. Interestingly, in my case, there is very little difference between the AROM and PROM in these joints. I occasionally stand on the ball of my foot and push my knee forward to try and increase the ROM (my logic is that I am stretching the ligaments on the sole of my big toe and the joint capsule).

The main problem with losing dorsiflexion (bending back) of the big toe is the difficulty with kicking. In my case, it is exquisitely painful if I kick anythig vaguely firm with the ball of my foot. I have had to adapt my kicking style by having more dorsiflexion at the ankle joint to compensate for the loss of dorsiflexion at the big toe.
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

Default prom

I to have this problem although my passive range of motion is the same as my active range of motion any idea why this is?
    thanks

Shakra Richardson

Likes (received)

If your passive range of movement (ROM) is the same as your active ROM it means that there is something inside or around the joint stopping it moving before the the muscles that move the joint are fully contracted.

Things can can cause this include bony spurs around the joint, foreign bodies in the joint and scarred ligaments or joint capsule on the side opposite to the direction of movement.

If your passive ROM is the same as your active ROM, then the joint should have a hard end feel (a feeling of bone hitting bone - or trying to push a hinged door past it limit) ie, there is no give.
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"