Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Police Jo?

Likes (received)

Default Police Jo?

Hiya all,

Does anyone know about the jo techniques used by Japanese police? Is the jo used to restrain or incapacitate felons? The only jo I have witnessed is the more destructive strikes and blows used in jodo/jojutsu.

Cheers,

Scott
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottUK
    Hiya all,

Does anyone know about the jo techniques used by Japanese police? Is the jo used to restrain or incapacitate felons? The only jo I have witnessed is the more destructive strikes and blows used in jodo/jojutsu.

Cheers,

Scott

If I am not mistaken the the Japanese "Boys in Blue" study/studied Shinto Muso Ryu Jo.
    There are a couple of folks on E-Budo you will want to PM or email with this question.

1) Meik Skoss
    2) Steve Delany
    [CENTER]Robert Rousselot

[B][I]Yeah, I’m humble…..I’m just not obsequious--- me [/I][/B]
    [B][I]Human behavior flows from three main sources; desire, emotion, and knowledge --- Plato[/I][/B][/CENTER]

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRousselot
    If I am not mistaken the the Japanese "Boys in Blue" study/studied Shinto Muso Ryu Jo.
    I think so to. I think it was Shimizu Takaji (among others of his generation) that taught a modified version of jodo in Tokyo police-dojos more suited for police duties.
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Mark Murray Guest

There are a couple of folks on E-Budo you will want to PM or email with this question.

1) Meik Skoss
    2) Steve Delany
    You lost me here. Why do we need to PM? Is this some secret that can't be answered here in the forum? I'm actually interested in this answer, too.

Thanks,

Mark Murray Guest

Just a few relevant articles:

http://www.furyu.com/archives/issue2/Muso.html

http://www.aikidojournal.com/article.php?articleID=18

http://www.koryubooks.com/library/dlowry11.html

Do the Japanese police still study jodo or do they study a modified version in keijojutsu? Or do they study both?

Thanks,

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Murray
    You lost me here. Why do we need to PM? Is this some secret that can't be answered here in the forum? I'm actually interested in this answer, too.

Thanks,

So that they know this thread is here.........or can they some how sense it's presence?
    [CENTER]Robert Rousselot

[B][I]Human behavior flows from three main sources; desire, emotion, and knowledge --- Plato[/I][/B][/CENTER]

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Murray
    Just a few relevant articles:

http://www.furyu.com/archives/issue2/Muso.html

http://www.aikidojournal.com/article.php?articleID=18

http://www.koryubooks.com/library/dlowry11.html

Do the Japanese police still study jodo or do they study a modified version in keijojutsu? Or do they study both?

Thanks,
    Hm..I can't qoute any sources, but I have a tiny fragment of memory that says the jo has slowly gone out of style ever since the war and is being replaced by more modern weapons & techniques. Not sure if it applies to riot-police though.
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred27
    Hm..I can't qoute any sources, but I have a tiny fragment of memory that says the jo has slowly gone out of style ever since the war and is being replaced by more modern weapons & techniques. Not sure if it applies to riot-police though.

Nope, not really. Most of your local Cops here (as far as I have seen) still have a jo while on duty at a koban and the Riot Police I know still train in it, among toehr things, as part of their job.
    [CENTER]Robert Rousselot

Likes (received)

Nope, not really. Most of your local Cops here (as far as I have seen) still have a jo while on duty at a koban and the Riot Police I know still train in it, among toehr things, as part of their job.
    Ah oki, my bad then. I can't remember where I heard of it, but the above mentioned was the impression I got.
    Fredrik Hall

Likes (received)

Yep, Robert is spot-on. Every cop I saw had a piddly little gun and a chuffin' big stick.

Just can't imagine them applying restraint with a jo - just a good beating...
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Yep, Robert is spot-on. Every cop I saw had a piddly little gun and a chuffin' big stick.

Just can't imagine them applying restraint with a jo - just a good beating...
    My (former) aikido-sensei showed me a few moves to restrain a suspect with a jo...or rather he demonstrated it on me. Quite effective actually! I had a pain in my shoulder for 2 days afterwards. :P
    Fredrik Hall

Likes (received)

I believe a number of officers (if not all of them) undergo training in taihojutsu, which incorporates techniques from jodo, aikido, kendo and Wado Ryu karate. The weapons they train with include the baton and jo.
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S
    I believe a number of officers (if not all of them) undergo training in taihojutsu, which incorporates techniques from jodo, aikido, kendo and Wado Ryu karate. The weapons they train with include the baton and jo.

Japanese cops usually train in all or some of the following: Kendo, Aikido, Judo, and Jo.
    Several years ago I was invited to watch the local police station put on a martial arts demo. Among the above mentioned I saw them do some sort of "art" that included punching and kicking but I wouldn't really call it "karate".
    [CENTER]Robert Rousselot

Likes (received)

Hiya all,

Cheers,

Scott
    Dear Scott

There are no fellons. The jo is not used. what we feel is what we are just watch and learn, if you are willing to die, then contact me.

sincerely yours Bert Sijben.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by bert sijben
    Dear Scott

There are no fellons. The jo is not used. what we feel is what we are just watch and learn, if you are willing to die, then contact me.

sincerely yours Bert Sijben.

what the heck are you trying to say??
    [CENTER]Robert Rousselot

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast