Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Miyamoto Musashi

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Likes (received)

Default Miyamoto Musashi

Does anyone know the name of the sword style that he used? Just asking, that's all.

Likes (received)

The name of the school that he created is Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu. More information about the school (which is still extant today) can be found here ... http://www.hyoho.com/Hyoho1.html

And before you get jumped on, you have to add your full name to each post. The easiest way is to click "user CP" at the top, and add your ful name as your signature.

Cheers,
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Hi Paul, I was lurking , waiting and stalking for the kill Good save ! He owes you big...
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

Hi Paul, I was lurking , waiting and stalking for the kill Good save ! He owes you big...
    What can I say, it was twofer day. He got information and advice, all for the same price!
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Musashi most likely learned Tori-ryu first, a comprehensive bujutsu system that included single-sword, dual-sword, jutte, kodachi, and shuriken techniques.

From this Musashi formed Enmei-ryu kenjutsu. By the time he wrote "The Book of Five Rings", he had created Niten Ichi-ryu.
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, žonne he ęt guše gengan ženceš longsumne lof, na ymb his lif cearaš. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reyer
    Musashi most likely learned Tori-ryu first, a comprehensive bujutsu system that included single-sword, dual-sword, jutte, kodachi, and shuriken techniques.

From this Musashi formed Enmei-ryu kenjutsu. By the time he wrote "The Book of Five Rings", he had created Niten Ichi-ryu.
    I'm interested in your source for this. I've never heard of Tori-ryu before. Musashi's father was an expert with the jutte, but as far as I understood Musashi had developed the ryoto waza on his own.
    Alex Bradshaw

bradshaw.jp

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reyer

Shuriken techniques are not listed in any of the surviving documents on Tori-ryu.

More often than not you have researchers or writers quoting other researchers or writers who quote other researchers or writers in Japan recycling the same information without checking the original sources...this was particularly rampant during the airing of the NHK Musashi drama (shivers). In fact, there is an ongoing lawsuit over this very matter that still has not been resolved, yet.

However, he was very proficient with the spear and known for using in conjunction with a other weapons.
    Jason Jennings