Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Takamatsu in China

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Likes (received)

Default Takamatsu in China

Hi

Does anyone know of a good resource telling of Takamatsu's time in China as im interested in reading all about it.
    Ive found little bits and read Soke's Essence of Ninjutsu but id like to read in more depth about it and all the challenges he fought.

Thanks very much.
    karl Burton

Likes (received)

Hello, here is a link to the dojo where i train there is a little info on Takamatsu Sensei on there hope this is ok, it also mentions the time he went to China.
    http://www.bujinkanmanchester.co.uk/takamatsu.htm
    Giuseppe Storto,

Bujinkan Ninpo/Budo Taijutsu
    Shadow Warrior Bujinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Thank you Giuseppe, but ive seen a lot of similar information and it has only piqued my fascination in the subject. Im really looking for more complete accounts if any exist.

I feel its something we could benefit from knowing as we all aspire to take in Takamatsu's teachings. but then again i understand if Hatsumi Soke wants to keep some memories of his mentor to himself for personal reasons or due to the stories containing sensitive information which he would rather transmit verbally if at all.
    karl Burton

Likes (received)

Not quite on-topic, but not completely off-topic either: Anybody ever notice that some of the Takamatsu-den, most especially those of questioned provenance (Gyokko, Koto, Togakure...) have taijutsu kamae that look more like they came from Chinese arts?

Just as an example, outside of Okinawan/Japanese karate, has anyone ever seen anything like Gyokko-ryu 'hicho no kamae' in any other koryu Japanese close-quarters fighting system? What about Koto-ryu "hoko no kamae'? Or any of the Gyokko-/Koto-ryu kamae for that matter?

And that's just the kamae...what about the movement? Circles and lines? Generating power from the foot, knee, hip, spine?

Makes ya wonder...
    Eric Baluja

Fukai kiri teme mo motenai kaku reru daizan.

Likes (received)

i think u could start a new thread on that one.

Gyokko Ryu was supposed to have come from China originally anyway. And if you look back a bit, its speculated that virtually all Asian martial arts have come from India originally.

Also, similarities can be seen between all (good) martial arts because they utillise the innate strengths and weaknesses of the human body.

i learnt (saw) a move in lesson last week which is very similar to a wing chun move, uses rolling elbow to push opponents arm down but after that its different. similarities are bound to pop up, its the style which differs more prominently.

anyway, back on topic!? . . .
    karl Burton

Likes (received)

I just received an e-mail today advertising a new book about Takamatsu Sensei:

"Takamatsu Toshitsugu - the last shinobi" by Wolfgang Ettig

The link provided was:
    www.takamatsu-sensei.info

Disclaimer: I have no connection to this book, nor do I know the author. I have not read it, nor have I purchased it yet.
    Evan London
    Dojo-cho, Jinenkan Inazuma Dojo
    Orange, CT
    www.Jinenkan-Inazuma.com