Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Face punches and groin kicks back in Kyokushin

Likes (received)

Default Face punches and groin kicks back in Kyokushin

I got this information fromt he kyokushin4life forum but thought some of you that don't know about it would be interested. Kancho Royoma is trying to reintroduce face punches, groin kicks, full grabbing, and throws back into Kyokushin competition. Here is a link with some information and pics of an exhibition showing it: Kyokushin-bakka?

I for one would like to see this happen and compete under these rules.
    Brian Culpepper

Likes (received)

Seems like it would be welcome news for the more "hardcore" karate competitors. I'd like to see the details, but I can't seem to access the linked site from my computer.

It sounds exciting from a spectator's point of view. But I wonder how they'll minimize getting the competitors' faces "rearranged" from full-contact punches. Or is this something that the players will simply agree to take a chance on?
    Hieroteo Villarosa V

Likes (received)

I wrote this up somewhere else, it's just an opinion, but I think it's somewhat valid:

The argument being made here, in my opinion, is a rebuttal to what Seido Karate has done with the K-1 Grand Prix, only within a bare hands venue. There is also a consideration of prestige that older Kyokushin players probably lament with respect to the huge popularity that K-1 has received.

This popularity issue is not only about Kyokushin, which has split into several different entities since Mas Oyama died, but also the ramifications concerned with keeping a sensibility in hard hitting karate that Kyokushin endeavored to provide since it’s inception. Kyokushin was one of the first “sporting” styles that did away with a more casual point system and declared itself the “proof” in the pudding.

Added to this is the element of money where what is popular reaps the rewards of televised airplay, pay for view, and increased student attendance.

And as an aside, I don't know know how you accomodate face punches without any hand protection or padding to the brain bucket, at least legally.

-Brad Burklund
    Brad Burklund

Likes (received)

Sounds cool, but isn't this pretty much what the Daido-juko (sp?) guys have done already?

From the link it looks like light mitts and head-gear would be the norm.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

The Pagan Barbarian Kingdom of the Netherlands
    Likes (received)

Brian,

Thanks for the link. I couldn't find any info about throws or groin kicks. Do you have some more details about the regulation of those techniques?

Yours,
    Remi Vredeveldt

"Hysterical knowledge is often mistaken for historical knowledge"

Boni enim duces non aperto proelio, in quo est commune periculum, sed ex occulto semper adtemptant Vegetius Liber III, 9:5

Likes (received)

At present time I can't find the groin kicks and this might not be added...yet, but I know that Royama and others are trying to possibly add it. Here is an excerpt towards the bottom of the page about the throws and a picture of it being attempted/done in one of the two exhibitions that took place:

"You'll notice Judo-style throws and that the fighters grab each other much more than when constrained by the set of Kyokushin tournament rules used until now. This author is not qualified at this point to give a complete explanation of rules, but it is clear that whereas wazari or ippon can be achieved by a successful throw, all floor fighting is prohibited. As soon as these fights went to the mat (and sometimes the fighters went to the mat fairly hard) the fight was stopped and the fighters were returned to face off in a neutral standing position. As soon as more information is available, we will post it here."
    Brian Culpepper

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Burklund

And as an aside, I don't know know how you accomodate face punches without any hand protection or padding to the brain bucket, at least legally.

-Brad Burklund
    I don't train in any striking arts, but I wanted to respond to the comment above. Not from any personal experience, but from what I have read, and herd, those small 8 oz gloved they wear in the UFC are not meant to provide protection to your opponents face / brain bucket. With taped up hands & wrists, and the power these guys jit with, they provide virtually no protection in that area. There purpose is to protect the fighters hands from breaking.
    Tim Mailloux

Likes (received)

Well, protecting the hands is certainly part of it - but the main reason gloves were introduced to MMA (and headbutts were banned) was to reduce the amount of cuts. Less blood = more palatable to sanctioning committees and the wider TV audience.

Fewer cuts also lead to fewer stoppages from cuts, which are usually provide a fairly dissappointing end to a fight for both fans and participants - Kyokushin is going to have to bear this in mind if they intend to keep it bare-knuckle.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

Well, if the new rules happen the way it happened in these exhibition fights, it won't be bareknuckle anymore. Having fought with 8 ounce gloves a few times in Muay Thai I can say that these gloves on the website looked smaller.
    I'd also like to add that if these new rules do take place that kickboxers and thaiboxers will have much more of a chance in Kyokushin tournaments. With punches allowed to the face and grabbing/clinching...I can't wait.
    Brian Culpepper

The Pagan Barbarian Kingdom of the Netherlands
    Likes (received)

Thanks for the quote Brian, I must have missed it.

I like the ideas, now let's hope other kyokushinkai organisations will implement those rules as well
    Remi Vredeveldt

"Hysterical knowledge is often mistaken for historical knowledge"

Boni enim duces non aperto proelio, in quo est commune periculum, sed ex occulto semper adtemptant Vegetius Liber III, 9:5

Likes (received)

I like the idea.

Problem is that these days its less about the competitiors and more about the fans.

Sorry to say it, but rules that don't bring in fans will be changed and the ones that do will be inacted.

Say what you will about UFC/Pride, etc. they understand the fan base and they have no problems making changes to keep it.

If the overall purpose is to add to the training of the fighters then its an excellent idea.

If the idea is to make it more popular with the general public, then I wish them good luck and hope for the best!
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.