Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tenshin Hamada Hanshi

Likes (received)

Default Tenshin Hamada Hanshi

Does anyone have any information on this individual? He teaches out of Norfolk VA (ODU). The ODU website states that he teaches Karate, Jujutsu, Aikijutsu, Iaido, and Kobujutsu (Naginata, sojutsu, jojutsu, etc...).

I sent an e-mail to his organization (DNBK) inquiring about what Ryu-ha he specifically taught, and was told that I should only worry about training and not what Ryu were being taught. I cannot exactly verify his credentials if I don't know what the gentleman teaches. Can anyone help me out with some info? Thanks.

Very Repsectfully,
    Glenn Marquay

A small piece of grass under the shadow of the Willow Tree.

Maryland, USA, by way of Bavaria, Germany, Texas, Indiana and Virginia
    Likes (received)

Never heard of him, myself, but I know some of the budo folks in Norfolk and I'll inquire.
    Chuck Gordon
    Mugendo Budogu
    http://www.budogu.com/

Likes (received)

from http://www.dentokanhombu.com/history.htm:

"A few years after returning from Panama I observed my good friend Bill Stockey performing a rather long sword kata named Seisui No Ken (“Sword in the Shadows”). It is an unusual sword kata because it is quite long, unlike other sword kata I had learned, which are rather short. It is also an all-standing kata. Bill had been a long time student of Tenshin Hamada, the international director of the famous Dai Nippon Butokukai, and he related an interesting story behind this long sword kata. The kata was the invention of Sensei Hamada’s father, Seishin Hamada. Seishin Hamada had been a teacher at the Butokukai and master of Itto-Ryu. Itto-Ryu is a classical form of Japanese sword founded by Ittosai Ito (1560-1628). Prior to founding Itto-Ryu, Ito had been a master practitioner of Shinkage-Ryu. The long kata I observed was Seishin Hamada’s compilation, into a continuous flowing form, of the numerous short Itto-Ryu kata. It contains the essence of Itto-Ryu, a style closely associated with modern day Kendo and Daito-Ryu Aikijujutsu. Bill was gracious enough to teach me Seisui No Ken and I have incorporated it into the Dentokan Iaijutsu syllabus.

Later Bill and I joined forces to form the Dento-Shoshin-Ryu style of Iai-Jutsu. It is a compilation of my study of Mugai-Ryu and Toyama-Ryu, coupled with Bill's study of Itto-Ryu.

Dentokan Iaijutsu is a Gendai (modern) martial art by definition (i.e., post Meiji Restoration). It has both classical and modern traditions behind its development. But, more importantly, it is designed to meet the needs of our modern day membership"

How long have you been training with Clodig sensei?

Regards,
    Jim

Likes (received)

I've been training with Clodig Sensei for a little more than a year.
    I am currently on overseas deployment, but will return to San Diego, and continue my training under him.
    I was checking out Hamada Sensei, because I will be moving back to VA Beach in a couple of years, and wanted to start my search for good training.
    Does anyone else know anything about this Sensei, and what Ryu-ha he teaches?
    Thank you very much,
    Glenn Marquay

A small piece of grass under the shadow of the Willow Tree.

Likes (received)

why not ask him, yourself?

HHamada@odu.edu
    Michael Hobson

Mukyudoka

Likes (received)

I sent an e-mail to his organization (DNBK) inquiring about what Ryu-ha he specifically taught, and was told that I should only worry about training and not what Ryu were being taught.
    I think that answers the question....

Best,
    Ron

Likes (received)

My teacher Ken Tallack Kyoshi is the Canadian representative for the DNBK so I have heard of Hanshi Hamada. I don't know what ryu-ha he teaches but I do know he is held in high regard. A couple of the black belts from my dojo had the opportunity to attend a week of training with him in Virginia last summer and they described it as being the most intense training they have ever experienced. I believe if you were able to train with him, it would not be wasted time.
    This coming October he will be at the Canada Rensai Taikai in Toronto. I am hoping at that time to be presented with my DNBK certificate for Shodan from him.
    I know it's not much, but take it for what it's worth.

While we are on the topic, as a side note, I am looking for a copy of Hanshi Hamada's book Quintessence of Japanese Martial Arts: Historical and Philosophical Perspectives. Amazon.com says it is out of print, but if anyone knows where I could get a copy it would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers!
    Bill Ecklund

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought." - Basho