Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kihon Happo

Likes (received)

Question

Manaka Sensei,

First off, I would like to thank you for taking the time to answer all these questions. Your insights are appreciated by all

I do have a few questions though, regarding the kihon happo. You have mentioned how students should focus on the basics, working on striking, kihon happo, sanshin no kata, ukemi, and the like. I just wonder, how do we know we are doing the kihon happo properly? One could ask one of many teachers throughout the Bujinkan, Genbukan, or Jinenkan, but there would be many answers.

Also, what advice would you give to help improve one's kihon happo?

Finally, I was wondering about ganseki nage in the Gyokko Ryu system. Does Gyokko Ryu have ganseki nage in the scrolls and, if it does, does it look like a "normal" ganseki nage? I ask because I keep hearing contradictory statements and hope to get an answer from you, Sensei

Thank you very much. I look forward to reading your replies.

Steve Gladstone

Fumio Manaka Guest

Gyokko Ryu does not have Ganseki Nage as one of its fundamental techniques. Something similar appears in the kata but it needs to be practiced in a way specific to that kata.

The Kihon Happo I learned from Hatsumi Sensei long ago is the Kihon Happo I am teaching to everyone now. Hatsumi Sensei told us that was what he learned from Takamatsu Sensei, and I trust what he said at that time. I have a sense that the Bujinkan now is Hatsumi Ryu.

The secret to making the Kihon Happo your own is to practice correctly.

Manaka Unsui