Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Ryoen-ryu Naginatajutsu (Shimizu Nobuko)

Likes (received)

Default Ryoen-ryu Naginatajutsu (Shimizu Nobuko)

I ran across that school' name and a couple of forum/google search didn't raise many information.
    Exept that the founder/soke (?) is Shimizu Nobuko sensei...

Any of you as more (from first hand training for exemple )?

North Queensland Australia. On the barrier reef.
    Likes (received)

I attended a seminar recently in which Komei juku MJER and rouen ryu naginata were taught. Shimizu sensei taught the naginata section. It was interesting and Shimizu sensei was a patient and keenly interested instructor. I don't think Shimizu sensei invented it- I got the impression that she had studied other extant naginata ryu and then been taught Ryoen ryu tech/kata . She urged the attendees to practice the kata of old schools so that they wouldn't be forgotten.
    I learned a good deal.
    Lurking in dark alleys may be hazardous to other peoples health........

Likes (received)

Shimizu Sensei was graded to 8th dan in Jikishinkage Ryu Naginata by the late soke Toya Akiko Sensei. Due to political differences, Shimizu Sensei broke from Jikishinkage Ryu and founded her own style. The main difference between Ryoen Ryu and Jikishinkage is that Shimizu Sensei's style uses the weapon more in a manner appropriate to a real naginata as opposed to the light practice weapon used in Jikishinkage Ryu. Because of her close relationship with Sekiguchi Komei Sensei the uchitachi parts have a chiburi and noto similar to Komei Jyuku MJER.

Shimizu Sensei is not only highly skilled and a gifted teacher, but she's also a very fine person.

Phil Davison
    Phil Davison

Likes (received)

I train in Ryouen Ryu Naginatajutsu as well as Yamauchi-Ha MJER Iaijutsu. I do not know much about Jikishinkage Ryu, but Ryouen Ryu is very combative and I enjoy it very much. Most of the bunkai and kumitachi I have done through Royouen Ryu usually has uchitachi using a sword. There is also quite a bit of tanto waza that she has shown us as well.

Hope it helps.
    Brandon Burkett
    Yamauchi-Ha Muso Jikiden Eishin-ryu Iaijutsu

Likes (received)

Thank you!

Likes (received)

I forgot to ask: do you know what Ryoen means in that context? Why this name was chosen?

Likes (received)

Well.. 10 years passed since the last post, so maybe this answer will be useless... but If anyone has questions about the Ryûha, every question is welcome.
    A Little bit of story of Ryôen ryû naginatajutsu.

Shimizu Nobuko sensei is a health condition as far she's 74 years old.
    She born and raised in Kôchi and learned judô from her father who was judô sensei.
    Arround 1965/67 she began to study Ogasawara ryû reihô, receiving the menkyô kaiden and shihan grade as well the name Genryûsai Ryôen (that's because the name of the school she created) in 1984.
    Arround 1978-1980 she began Jikishinkage ryû naginata till 8ºdan hanshi tora no maki.
    Arround 1998 she started Musô Jikiden Eishin ryû iaijutsu (Yamauchi-ha Komei Jyûku) under the guidance of 21st Sekiguchi Komei sensei, till kyôshi grade today.
    At the beggining of XXI century, after the 17º sôke of Jikishinkage ryû Toya Akiko (Shimizu sensei's sensei) passed away, she was not confortable with the new direction of the ryûha, so she decided left Jikishin. But Shimizu sensei wanted continue the teaching of naginata based in Toya Akiko sensei teachings. So she took her Ogasawara ryû name and created a new ryûha, based on 3 koryû teachings:
    - Naginata/tantô of Jikishinkage ryû.
    - Reihô of Ogasawara ryû.
    - kenjutsu (uchitachi) from Musô Jikiden Eishin ryû.
    About the Ryôen ryû waza, the school has 3 series. 1st: Shôden kumitachi is 10 paired kata naginata vs tachi. 2nd: Ryû no bu: 5 solo kata. 3rd: Tora no bu: 7 kata paired: naginata vs tachi and tantô vs tachi. 1st and 3rd series are based in Jikishinkage ryu waza, based, but not equal. 2nd serie was created by Shimizu sensei based in Jikishinkage ryu. The meaning of solo waza in Ryôen ryû is to use a shinken naginata. Shimizu sensei told me that, except Toya sensei and few of the senior students, noone in Jikishinkage ryû wanted to use never shinken naginata because "it's so heavy". Shimizu sensei always was suported by Toya sensei when she decided to use it, even when some of her sempai said no.
    the 32 sôke of Ogsawara ryû, Ogasawara Tadamune (Shimizu sensei's sensei) gave permisión to use the sangaibishi kamon to Shimizu sensei, so this was the Ryôen ryû kamon till last year, but in november 2015 she registered Ryôen ryû as a cultural property in her town Yoshikawa (Saitama), and as she don't wanna have troubles with the current 33 sôke Ogasawara Keishôsai who is her friend, so she changed a Little bit the kamon when she registered the school.
    Ryôen ryû is not a koryû, but any people who want leran Shimizu sensei teachings is welcome. Outside Japan there is 4 countries with their shibuchô with Ryôen ryû name (because Shimizu sensei has sons with surname Shimizu, that's way she gave surnema Ryôen): Spain (Ryôen Ryûko), France (Ryôen Rinka - Normandie / Ryôen Shôtaro - Paris), Czech Republic (Ryôen Ienobu) and New Zeland (Auckland). In Japan Shimizu sensei teach in Saitam (Yoshikawa), Tôkyô (Shinagawa) and Kanagawa.
    Sekiguchi Kenryû - MJER iaijutsu (Komei Jyûku) Spain hombu.
    Ryôen Ryûko - Ryôen ryû naginatajutsu Spain hombu.

8. Likes cxt, Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

Interesting read.

Thanks for updating the thread.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Likes (received)

Times flows differently on forums that elsewhere on the internet!
    As I started the thread 13 years ago please have my thanks for detailed answer!

Likes (received)

Time really does flow differently on these ancient internet forums. I'm glad someone posted an answer for you back in 2016, and you got caught up with it now. It's almost like a message in a bottle, finally floating up onto a shore and being found by the intended recipient,nafter years at sea. :0)
    Cady Goldfield

12. Likes pgsmith liked this post
    Likes (received)

It's my pleasure ^_^
    I'm happy that you readed my answer so many years after your question.
    So, another 4 years has passed since my last reply, so I'm updating news about Ryôen ryû.
    Shimizu sensei is still alive, but now she has arround 78 years old, so she¡s not traveling outside Japan as much as she want.
    Also keiko and movements inside Japan is every day more complicated for her, due her home is far away the main cities. This also affected some Ryôen ryû dojo arround the world, so many of them stop training.
    Our Spain group went to Japan on 2018 for the first (and maybe, and sadly) the last seminar in Shimizu sensei's town, Yoshikawa, in Saitama.
    In this seminar, Shimizu sensei corrected me all the waza of the school, both parts shidachi and uchidachi, and also she teached some Chôku Jyûshin ryû kusarigamajutsu. This school is a betsu den inside Jikishinkage ryû naginatajutsu, but just people inside the shôgo sistem (Renshi, Kyoshi,hanshi) are allowed to learn it. Shimizu sensei created Ryôen ryû because she wanted to teach her version of Jikishinkage ryû kata as she understood 17th sôke Toya Akiko teachings, so Ryôen ryû kata are with the same principles of Jikishinkage ryû but diferent forms. But because Chôku Jyûshin ryû is not Jikishinkage ryû, Shimizu sensei could teach as is. This school of kusarigamajutsu was created in the early Meiji by Inoue Jyûshinsai, a student of Satake Yoshinori and Satake Kanryûsai, first coulple sôke of Jikishinkage ryû naginatajutsu since it's independance from Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage ryû. Inoue Jyûshinsai was also menkyô kaiden in Kyoshi Meishi ryû kenjutsu, and studied another koryû like Toda ryû, Yagyû Shinkage ryû, Muhen Muteki ryû and Ittô ryû. He took the tantô-wakizashi curriculum from Jikishinkage ryû naginatajutsu, and with all his knowledge, created this kusarigamajutsu school. So, from 2018, we're training also this school, just in the Spain honbu.
    Here it's a report of this memorable seminar in Yoshikawa.
    https://ameblo.jp/nakaharashigeto/en...401276990.html
    Also, because we're now in quarantine in Spain, I post here a video of basic naginata gymnastics to do at home. Sorry that's in Spanish, but I hope the movements could be interesting for you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy25joYAxhk&t=8s
    Best regards, and keep safe from the coronavirus

14. Likes pgsmith, Cady Goldfield liked this post
    Likes (received)

Marcos

I just gotta say, I love your baby in the background! Starting early with the 見学!

Made me smile. Sounds like its rough over there. Stay healthy, and stay training!

16. Likes pgsmith liked this post
    Likes (received)

Hahah, yes, my baby is training too with his toy xD
    Yes, things here in Spain are quite serious, today we've arround 120.000 infected and 11.000 dead. But not also my family but all the people I know and dojo students are all safe. Take care you too, this gonna be serious also in other countries.

18. Likes pgsmith liked this post
    Likes (received)

Thank you for the update and the video, Marcos. My Spanish is not fluent, but I could understand when you said explained that couldn't use the naginata in the house. :0)s

We can hope that the corona virus will run its course within the next few months, and that you will be able to travel to Japan again to train with your teacher next year.
    Cady Goldfield