Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Koryu Bujutsu & Seitei Iaido

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Mahan
    Fred, how often do you have classes?

If I'm out with a cold one night, there are still as many as 4 other classes that week I can attend. Watching one class isn't gonna make any difference in the long run. Some of us train in small enclosed spaces where airborn germs spread easily. Students at our dojo who are contagious are encouraged not to come to class.
    Fair enough. I'll say no more of it then.

*edit*

Forgot to answer yer question. I train two times a week unfortunetly...Wouldn't mind more.
    Last edited by Fred27; 10th August 2006 at 16:59.
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dejongtheo

Why do these people go on talking about zen? Do they really think seiteikata is sword fighting? Do they think they stand a chance with seiteikata? I wonder....
    Theo,

If their goal is to gain rank in their countries kendo federation iai section, then at some point they have to demonstrate knowledge of koryu. If someone shows up and says I only want to learn the iai section of your koryu, then I can see that as being a problem. Also if they begin to modify kata to look more like seitei iai or other koryu more commonly found in the kendo federation then that to is a problem. But these are problems with PEOPLE not the seitei iai.

Iai IS a part of swordsmanship, does seitei iai alone make you a capable swordsman, probably not, but the kendo federation is huge and encompasses kendo, iaido and jodo, it would be incorrect to state that all kendo federation iaidoka only do seitei iai.

Lets look at a fictional kendo federation fellow, 8years in the federation, practicing Kendo(3dan), Iaido(3 dan) and Jodo(3 dan). A unique fellow, but not overly rare, probably has no time for a girlfriend. What do think his skill set would be? Does he have a good base from which to pursue koryu? Would he be considered a capable swordsman? This fellow would likely know all 10 kendo no kata (7 tachi vs tachi, 3 shoto vs tachi), 12 Sei tei iai kata (tachi vs tachi),12 Sei tei jo kata (jo vs tachi) and have nearly 8 years of kendo shiai under his belt.

I think he would be very capable, but this is only one path and not the most efficient if your goal is to study a specific koryu. I know in my journey through the kendo federation the koryu I have been exposed to have been those I have been lucky to blunder into.
    Nulli Secundus

Ed Chart

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7