Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Okinawan tea?

Likes (received)

Default Okinawan tea?

Has anyone ever come across okinawantea.com ?

...besides JUST now?

I was curious if anyone has had any experience with it. To ME it sounds like if it DOES what it says it does, it's because it's full of flesh eating parasites they don't mention or something horrible like that.

Juuuussssst curious.
    Anthony Ray Ferguson

Likes (received)

Default Jasmine tea? Tumeric tea? What is "rare Okinawan tea"?!

They seem to be lacking any current data on their website...

From Japan Update:

Okinawa reputation changes from longevity to obsesity
    Posted: June 22, 2006

Okinawa has long been known as the land where people live to very ripe old ages.

That’s changing somewhat, and while women are still living longer than those anywhere else in Japan and much of the world, the fate of men is dying. Literally, the longevity of Okinawa males has nose dived from best to 26th out of the country’s 47 prefectures.

As if that’s not enough, new reports from the government are saying Okinawans are fatter than Japanese elsewhere. It’s particularly true in men and women over 30, and obesity is generating multiple cases of increased blood pressure, blood sugars and body fat. Okinawa men are at the top of that negative list, with women in a close race for second.

The Okinawa government is scrambling to force a turnaround, creating programs that promote healthier lifestyles. The problem, says a medical doctor, is that society has caught up with Okinawa. Fast foods, fatty foods, western foods and fried foods are heading the take-away lifestyle now sweeping Okinawa.

Okinawa’s traditionally healthy diet, which included foods such as seaweed, goya and black vinegar that promote health, are being shunned by the younger generation.

A recent study shows Okinawa has, per capita, more fast food restaurants and convenience stores than any other place in Japan. Doctors say caloric intake is about the same all across Japan, but that Okinawans are stuffing themselves with three times the amount of fats as elsewhere in the country.

Translated, that means lots of deep fried and stir fry foods loaded with saturated fats.
    Nullius in verba

Likes (received)

Okinawan tea is nothing more than partially fermented green tea. From reading it, they add jasmine for flavoring.

You can get partially fermented tea, look for Oolong, at any most any Asian grocery store for a whole lot less than the website offers it for.

As to benefits, There is some indication, but not conclusive, that fermented teas may help lower the risk for some types of cancer, may help lower cholesterol, and can stimulate weight loss.

Likes (received)

Ahaaa.

I see, thanks for the replies fellas
    Anthony Ray Ferguson

Likes (received)

Default Some tea info...

The story A New Natural Relaxant gives some good information on the theraputic benefits of green tea.

I'd shy away from any sensationalistic claims, like you'll lose huge amounts of weight by drinking a special kind of tea, and just enjoy the natural benefits of a healthy lifestyle.

酒は百薬の長!
    Nullius in verba

Likes (received)

It's a shame to see the Okinawan diet become more westernized.
    The same thing happened in Hawaii and look what happened to them.
    Later they found that the adoption of a traditional diet did wonders
    to lower blood sugar and high blood pressure, not to mention obesity.

Peace
    Ray Baldonade
    Chibana-ha Shorin-ryu

"Love many, trust few and do wrong to none". Chan Yau-man

CC1 Guest

Green tea definitely has advantages, but I would steer clear of that website.

Americans tend to drink too many cold drinks. Warm/hot green tea is said to aid in the bodies circulation. I was having a few health problems a while back and dropped the soda and ice water, and began drinking green tea (occasionally) and just water. My tests did a complete 180 and I am better for it now. This could have been partially from just quitting the soda, but I do believe that there is something to the green tea theory.

You can buy it most anywhere though, no need to use that website.

Likes (received)

we sent my youngest son to Japanese school for a few years when he was very young. he use to complain about a "brown" tea they seved at school. i don't remember the name but it was a grain based tea i believe. that tea is quite good for the body. never heard of that "rare" Okinawan tea though.
    Ricky Wood

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Woody
    ...a "brown" tea they seved at school. i don't remember the name but it was a grain based tea i believe....
    Mugi cha: roasted barley tea. Especially popular in the winter months.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default Mugicha

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens
    Mugi cha: roasted barley tea. Especially popular in the winter months.
    AFAIK, it's considered a summer drink, (almost) always being served cold.
    Nullius in verba

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by eelecurb
    AFAIK, it's considered a summer drink, (almost) always being served cold.
    You appear to be correct. A quick Google came up with hits for iced mugicha, etc.

At the Zen Center I used to attend it was served hot in the winter, but the leader of the group was not Japanese, and also had some "quirks."

Thanks for the correction.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Mugi cha, that's it thank you.
    I remember it being seved cold and in the summer also.
    Ricky Wood

Likes (received)

I am sure mugi-cha is drunk in the suimmer here, but the usual choice at parties where alcohol is forbidden is uron-cha.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan