Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 35 years ago....

Likes (received)

Default 35 years ago....

... The singer Jim Morrison died. 07/03/1971 BBC webpage on Morrison.

A band that in the late '60's was part of the peace in Vietnam movement. But it also signals the end of the free love movement and the ideal of a new tomorrow. And yet the albums still sell.

The Stones are still touring. Although they can no longer break guitars (as they are more robustly made), these pensioners still make money touring.

So if we could bring back Morrison for one final gig, who would go? Who would you see? Which band would you reform/raise from the dead, to pay huge money out of your pocket and smoke the old weed to, get out the lighter and wave it in the air (mostly hoping to set someones hair on fire). For me, it would be The Doors. Just to see if he pulls the same stunt in Miami like he did in 1969.

Likes (received)

Without pause or hesitation it would have to be Hendrix.

I've seen tributes and I've seen copies... but none play with the raw emtion and feeling that he did...

A great loss...
    Sam Oram

Likes (received)

Agreed, the Doors & Led Zep as a double bill...

...with Lenny bruce, John Candy and Bill Hicks as warm-up acts.
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Sad thing is... while some great people die before their peak, many will reach the heights and then hang aroud until they've become an irritation. In the latter case, it sometimes takes a few years of mourning to elapse before people can get down to reminiscing with nostalgia. Worst of all, are the ones who simply never die.

How long do we have to wait before we can say that the Rolling Stones were the greatest band ever?

I'd like to watch a few more River Phoenix movies, some James Dean, some Jean Seberg. Concerts of Janis Joplin would be good, but you just don't know what direction these people would have gone in, had they continued their journeys... Frank Sinatra was a very different performer at the end of his career than he had been at the start.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

I don't recall the Doors being big activists on Vietnam. In fact Morrison's main occupation seems to have been having a good time, either with drugs , alcohol or women. Who knows though, he was an enigmatic character

I second Hendrix coming back for one last gig, Led Zeppelin with Bonham, and although he isn't dead yet Eddie Van Halen when he was the young virtuoso on guitar, not the burned out has been who is a shadow of his former self.

I would like to add Stevie Ray Vaughan who just seemed ready to do his best work when he died.
    Mark Chow-Young