Hi all, new user here (been browsing the forums for about a week, though ). I'm looking into picking up martial arts again (did a small amount of TKD and aikido in college) and have narrowed it down to either Shorinji Kempo or some style of karate. While I was easily able to find the main SK branch dojo in NYC, it's a bit harder finding karate dojos, for the usual reasons (large noise-to-signal ratio).

Complicating things is the fact that I think I'd prefer a style that tends to mix hard/soft, and which is more traditionally oriented and less competition-oriented. So Shotokan and Kyokushin are out, and ones I've found that sound interesting include Goju-ryu, Wado-ryu or Uechi-ryu. Trying to find dojos for specific, non-mainstream-in-the-US styles like these has proven fairly tough so far.

So: can anyone reading this recommend quality dojos in Manhattan (alternately, Jersey City/Hoboken might also work, but I strongly prefer Manhattan) for the above styles, or for other styles that might fit my loose criteria above? I'm still browsing through a lot of other similar forums and websites, but figure it can't hurt to ask specifically.

Thanks in advance for any responses