Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodachi iaijutsu?

Likes (received)

Default Kodachi iaijutsu?

Hello...Sorry if this have been mentioned before.

I saw the Twilight Samurai movie, very good movie by the way, and the character had trained in a kodachi school. Was this based in a historical school?

I've done some searching for iaijutsu using only the kodachi, but couldnt find anything specific. I did find some kodachi-(iai-type)-kata, but that was in connection with a koryu jujutsu I believe.

So anyone know of any ryu that handles the kodachi (alone) in iaijutsu (besides the koryu jujutsu-type) or kodachi kenjutsu...(if that word makes sense)
    Last edited by Fred27; 20th July 2006 at 21:39.
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

I believe MJER has a few sets for kodachi iai. Very rare. The one set I have seen is done with a partner.
    Nulli Secundus

Ed Chart

Likes (received)

One of Draeger's books mentions a school which practices batto with a short sword, I think. Perhaps Sekiguchi ryu...

Likes (received)

Default Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu Kodachi Forms

Greetings,

In the Tachitai no Denof Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu, there are 10 techniques for two persons: 7 where Aite uses Katana and 3 where Aite uses Wakizashi (Kodachi).

Thought you might like to know...
    Michael Gennan Alexanian
    General Manager & Head Instructor
    United States Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu
    Michigan Honbu Dojo

"Do not regret being ignored; regret being ignorant."
    Ryuko

Likes (received)

We've got 5 kodachi kumitachi kata in Mugairyu, all start with both seated, wearing kodachi.

Regards,

r e n

Likes (received)

A lot more traditions than I thought..had no idea of the MJER kodachi-set though. Why is it rare by the way? Is it not part of Mainstream MJER anymore and only taught by certain sensei?

We've got 5 kodachi kumitachi kata in Mugairyu, all start with both seated, wearing kodachi.
    Is there a bit of ju-jutsu involved in that with like joint-locks or is it "pure" kenjutsu?

Greetings,

In the Tachitai no Den of Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu, there are 10 techniques for two persons: 7 where Aite uses Katana and 3 where Aite uses Wakizashi (Kodachi).

Thought you might like to know...,
    Now THAT sounds like fun..sorry for sounding unprofessional but it does!

One of Draeger's books mentions a school which practices batto with a short sword, I think. Perhaps Sekiguchi ryu
    Hm...Sekiguchi ryu is also a koryu jujutsu...maybe it was from that ryu I saw those kodachi techniques...In the clips I saw (long ago) there were two men, both armed with kodachi sitting in seizan facing each other. The katas I saw started with uchidachi attacking and the shidachi used his kodachi in the saya to perform blocks, pinnings and/or jointlocks and then finishing off his opponent off with his (drawn) kodachi. I cant remember where I saw these clips, but my impression is that it wasn't a kenjutsu thing but stricktly related to koryu-jujutsu.

Anyways, thanks for the replies. I was kinda inspired to find out more ever since I saw the movie "Twilight Samurai". It was the first time I've ever seen the kodachi used in that way...From my limited view and experience it didn't exactly look like a "hollywood-creation" either.

The iaijutsu with a kodachi-part was also very interesting. I asked my sensei if he knew any iaijutsu(do) kata, or kenjutsu kata, with a kodachi but no such luck. It would be interesting to try it out...if anything it might help teach me (further) the vital importance of proper ma-ai and zanshin. The first duel portrayed in the movie was actually a very good example of this.
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Within the latter [Araki-ryu]'s curriculum is a very important kata set... a study of heavy-armor grappling techniques utilizing dual iai... short sword against long sword (Amdur, 2002).
    This quote comes from Ellis Amdur's book Old School. I have no idea what these kata are like, but I find it very interesting that he describes them as grappling kata that begin with short sword vs. long sword iai.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred27
    ...or kodachi kenjutsu...
    It's not exactly what you were descrbing, but in a similar vein the Kendo-no-kata includes kodachi versus odachi waza.

Three of them, I think. Don't quote me on that though. (Neil?)
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default Kodachi v's Odachi

The Tsutsumi Ryu has as part of its 3rd Dan a section that uses the kodachi against attacks with the odachi. These are done standing and are primarily done to show the similarity between the ju jutsu soft blocks and the kodachi movements. The original set was eight techniques.

Both Shodan and Nidan have Kentai Ichi no Kata to show the relationship between the strikes with odachi and the unarmed techniques of ju jutsu. The techniques highlight the footwork, body movement and striking (mainly the target area) between ju jutsu and swordwork

Greg Palmer

Maryland, USA, by way of Bavaria, Germany, Texas, Indiana and Virginia
    Likes (received)

Default Sekiguchi Ryu

Hm...Sekiguchi ryu is also a koryu jujutsu.
    Sort of ... best I can figure, there are two main branches of Sekiguchi extant today (maybe some smaller offshoots, but these are the two primary). One focuses mainly on the batto/iai and from what I've seen and read, practices very little of the other parts of what used to be a sogo budo. The other lineage has apparently focused on the jujutsu, but still retains some of the other portions of the system.

I had a conversation with Kiyama Hiroshi Sensei a few years ago, wherein he indicated that he'd had a menjo/mekkyo in SKR when he was a younger man - pre-WWII - he was 85 or 86 at the time we spoke. He said SKR, back then, included sword, staff, an assortment of small arms, jujutsu and kempo. It was apparently a favored system of some of the secret police types and was almost abandoned after WWII, but had been resurected in the current two branches in recent decades. Offered to introduce me to the current headmaster of the style if and when I get to Japan to visit him.

There are, IIRC, a couple of SKR folks here on E-budo. They could probably give better and more info on the system and what it contains today.
    Chuck Gordon
    Mugendo Budogu
    http://www.budogu.com/

Likes (received)

A lot more traditions than I thought..had no idea of the MJER kodachi-set though. Why is it rare by the way? Is it not part of Mainstream MJER anymore and only taught by certain sensei?
    Hey Fred,

You should check out Earl Hartman's "MJER Curriculum" thread.

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/archive/...hp/t-3055.html
    Nulli Secundus

Ed Chart

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by FastEd
    Hey Fred,

You should check out Earl Hartman's "MJER Curriculum" thread.

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/archive/...hp/t-3055.html
    Will do, thanks!
    Fredrik Hall

Likes (received)

I use one of the MJER kodachi waza as an instructional aid for mae....it basically involves running up with a kodachi as he goes into a normal mae, avoiding then knocking the nukitsuke out of the way and.. you can guess the rest...
    My students are now a lot more, ermm... careful... about timing and the opening cut, and stay a lot more focused

As a matter of interest, Iwata sensei often points out there is no difference to using a sword or kodachi. It is relatively easy to do all the waza using a kodachi, just need to adjust a little is all...
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Maryland, USA, by way of Bavaria, Germany, Texas, Indiana and Virginia
    Likes (received)

The weapon in your hand is unimportant. What does matter is controlling maai ...
    Chuck Gordon
    Mugendo Budogu
    http://www.budogu.com/

Likes (received)

Hm...Sekiguchi ryu is also a koryu jujutsu...maybe it was from that ryu I saw those kodachi techniques...In the clips I saw (long ago) there were two men, both armed with kodachi sitting in seizan facing each other. The katas I saw started with uchidachi attacking and the shidachi used his kodachi in the saya to perform blocks, pinnings and/or jointlocks and then finishing off his opponent off with his (drawn) kodachi. I cant remember where I saw these clips, but my impression is that it wasn't a kenjutsu thing but stricktly related to koryu-jujutsu.
    It's possible that it could be in the jujutsu side of the curriculum, as I've only studied the batto. There are five shoto vs. daito kata, but no shoto vs. shoto. There are a number of pictures of myself and Chuck Hunnicutt performing this set at last year's Orlando Tai Kai here. I am using the daito (I'm good at dying!) ... http://krradio.com/gallery/v/GenEven...04257.jpg.html
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast