Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Child with Aspergers wants to learn Judo

Likes (received)

Default Child with Aspergers wants to learn Judo

I have a friend whose 9-year-old child wants to learn a martial art. I think he has picked out Judo because he's heard of it. The child has Aspergers' Syndrome, which means he has difficulty with some social situations, and finds disorder and loud noises confusing. I think it also affects his co-ordination slightly, though this is exactly why he, and his mother want him to join in some kind of physical activity like Judo.

I suggested maybe something like Kyudo might be easier for him, as this would play to his strengths. Any other suggestions? Anybody know of any dojos/instructors who have any experience of teaching children with learning/ behavioural difficulties?

David Lundie

"Your greatest enemy is your own self"
    - St Josemaria

Likes (received)

I'm no expert but I've read around the subject a bit.

Judo will probably be a little too random for him, and kyudo, well how many kyudo places are there in London??? (I know of 1.)

Children with these sorts of problems I think are better off in a much more ordered environment, and some get quite a kick out of the neatness of lines in karate etc. So i'd be aiming at a form based system, which will grab his attention and give him a focus, rolling around with big boys will probably freak him out, and he won't be in a good place to tell you.

Just my pennies there, and worth less than that too ;-)
    Jim Boone

Flick Lives!

Likes (received)

I'm thinking it's all about the sensei here. I believe there are several martial arts that would benefit the child, but it will require a good, patient sensei and sempai's, willing to put in the "extra time" with the boy. I run an "aikido club" for foster children at my dojo. A bit different I know but I believe the same principals apply. I have a deep belief in the physical, emotional and spiritual benefits of aikido training. Take the child to a few dojos. Snoop around a bit and ask many questions. You may find just what you're looking for.
    Ricky Wood

Likes (received)

If the child does well in regimented environments, and some amount of roughness, yoshinkan aikido may be a good choice. There should be some good clubs there in London. Look for David Rubens if possible.

Best,
    Ron

Likes (received)

depending on what martial art, and what school the child is in, it may actually do him some good.

One good thing about a regimented dojo is that a lot of the social ambiguity of everyday life is removed - line up here, bow there, say this, do that always, we do this in THIS order ... - even if it is noisy and busy, there is a lot of underlying clarity.

good luck on the search.

mew
    Margaret Welsh

"It's more fun when they do it to themselves." Barbara Hambly

Likes (received)

Default my 2 cents

I had a student with Asperger's awhile back.

Basically, asperger's is like a mild form of autism. That makes it important to make sure the child stays focused on the task at hand. My student was 18, however, not 9, so it may have been easier for me. To reiterate what woody said, it's about the instructor. Eye contact becomes important as do specific instructions.
    With respect,

Mitch Saret

Likes (received)

One thing many Aspergers kids (and adults) have trouble with is physcial contact. Close-quarter arts can be too challenging, because they find physcial closeness extremely difficult. Still, if the child has suggested judo, for whatever reasson, that is more than enough reason to let him do judo and find out for himself. No point trying to second guess.

b

Likes (received)

Actually, why not treat him like any other kid, take him to a few different places and see what he gets on with?
    Jim Boone

Flick Lives!

Likes (received)

I agree with everything that has been said so far. But there is one important piece to the puzzle of finding the right martial art and the right instructor and that is communication.

Your friend must talk to the the instructors, explain the situation and give them the necessary information that will allow them to be the best sensei for their son. Often parents don't explain the situation or they gloss over the various areas of the problem. Your friend must be direct and informative with any prospective teacher. Asbergers is not a common trait and many sensei may not have heard of it or if they have may not know its various aspects. Just like with ADD and ADHD, parents must explain the situation to the teacher and make sure that he/she explains it to all the other instructors who may come into contact with the child.

I think letting the boy visit various dojos and having him be part of the selection process is important.

Respectfully,
    Dan Keding
    Storyteller - Author - Musician
    Iaidoka MJER

Likes (received)

I worked with a young man with Aspergers, his mom and dad are my age. I've become friends with the family. It seems to be all about training and conditioning for life skills. On a related note, my instructor was very big on working with students with all kinds of disabilities. Take the kid around. Watch classes. Talk to instructors. Let him make up his own mind. He'll know what he wants to do. Give him time.
    joe yang, the three edged sword of truth

"Not going to be fooled by you again Joe Yang's right you are evil and self-serving." Haiyomi

"Give my regards to joe yang. very intelligent man." Sojobow

Likes (received)

I agree with most of the above, and would also add that it's important to let any prospective teacher know that most people with Asperger's Syndrome don't pick up well on subtle non-verbal communication, so instructions need to be clear, direct, and unambiguous.

I also agree that karate or Aikido might be better for him than Judo, but only the child and his parents can tell for sure.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default Thanks for your advice

Thanks for your advice. I think they've already started looking around dojos, so I'll ask how it's going and pass on your advice when I next see them.

David Lundie

- St Josemaria

Likes (received)

David, Do us a favor and keep us posted with progress reports. Best. joe
    joe yang, the three edged sword of truth

"Not going to be fooled by you again Joe Yang's right you are evil and self-serving." Haiyomi

"Give my regards to joe yang. very intelligent man." Sojobow

Likes (received)

joe, I think they've decided to wait until after the school holidays are over, then resume their search, but I'll do my best to keep you updated.

David Lundie

- St Josemaria

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by yoj
    Actually, why not treat him like any other kid, take him to a few different places and see what he gets on with?
    That's about the most sensible thing thats been said on this thread.

We live in a world where diversity is important and it is upto the sensei to make appropriate accommodation for people less able, no matter whether it is a physical or mental disability. Good parents will be able to establish the soundness of a good teacher.

Trevor Gilbert

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast