Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Over 40, out of shape and stretching

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by elder999
    ...A bit of drift, Brian, but what do you consider to be an overdose of Vitamin C?
    Over the long term, taking one Vitimin-C tablet or capsule in addition to that found in one multivitamin/mineral tablet or capsule and in a healthy diet is fine. Anything over that should only be with guidance on or knowledge of orthomolecular medicine or similar.

Taking very high doses of Vitimin-C over long periods has no benefits, IMO, Linus Pauling's ideas not withstanding.

For a short term, such as when fighhting a cold, high doses are probably fine (since Vitamin-C is water soluable you'll just excrete any excess in your urine), but one should taper back to normal levels over several days to a week since the body will have become adapted to eliminating it and cutting back suddenly could result in rebound scurvy and other problems.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Smile Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens
    I just realized you may have thought I meant to stretch, then take a break, and then come back and stretch again. That's not what I meant.

When I said "relax a bit" I meant to back off on the stretch by several centimeters, and then reach out again. Hold the stretch for 10 seconds or so, back off slightly for several seconds, then stretch again and hold for at least 10 seconds more.

Sorry if I wasn't clear the first time.

Brian,

I just turned 40 and have recently taken MA's back up after a long absence. Your comments on how to increase my stretch is very helpfull and I will head your advice.

I'm not expecting to achieve the same results I got 25 years ago but I would like to get my side kick to at least the shoulder level. With training and persistance and proper stretching I intend on succeeding over the next year.

Thanks again

K. Allen
    Kevin S. Allen
    Newport News, Va.
    www.shotokanvirginia.com

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.

Ulysses S. Grant

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kchef
    ...I just turned 40 and have recently taken MA's back up after a long absence....
    Hi Kevin, welcome back.

For those of us over-30-somethings, especially those of us who have been out of training for a while, we just need to remember to take it a bit slower than we would've when we were 20-something, warm up well before stretching, and not expect miracles.

Also, I haven't personally read any of his books nor seen his videos (yet), but I've heard good things from others about a guy named Kurz or Kurtz or something like that -- advertises in the popular martial arts magazines.

His ads show people doing full splits and bragging how they did it cold and after only blah-blah weeks of training. If I hadn't heard from fellow massage therapists who like his material, I'd pass the ads off as nonsense; but from what I've heard, it might be worth looking into.

HTH.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Default Fast Food

Spoken with hyperbole, I'm sure; but for the record, McDonald's doesn't make anyone fat. It's what some people stuff (over-stuff, more accurately) into their faces at McDonald's that makes them fat.

I eat lunch at McDonald's, Jack-In-The-Box, or Taco Time (depending on my work schedule) five times a week, and I've gone from 250 pounds to 220 pounds in the last three years, on my way to 200 - 210.
    True, it is what/how much you eat, but I know that I have a very hard time eating properly at McDonalds. For example, a quarter pounder with cheese, large fries, and a diet coke take my full days allotment of calories/fat intake (under weight watchers). I lost quite a bit of weight following that program a few years back; then within the last year gained half of that back. Now, I am back on track, and adding in Jujutsu and (perhaps yoga on off days) as a well rounded fitness program. Now I get to do something I've wanted to do since I was a kid as well as try to get fit. I am really enjoying Jujutsu by the way for lots of reasons, not just getting fit, but learning self defense, and some culture/bushido. It's just plain fun.
    Joseph Dostie

Likes (received)

I personally don’t have the book you’re referring to Brian but my instructor has it. The things he focuses on have already been suggested here. Stretching twice a day with the morning being the most important. His big thing is RELAX into the stretch. He says to focus on breathing naturally and really concentrates on relaxing the muscles involved in what ever stretch your doing. Then he suggest to flex the muscles at their farthest point after stretching about 30-40 seconds this allows you to go a little further in the stretch. Going from memory here so don’t hold my feet to a fire if I didn’t get it perfect.
    I find the flexing at the farthest point the most beneficial since as martial artist we are flexing all the time at extension. I find the active stretching I posted in the link earlier to be more beneficial for the flexibility need for sparring and overall fitness.
    Chris McLean
    Martial Arts student

Likes (received)

Spoken with hyperbole, I'm sure; but for the record, McDonald's doesn't make anyone fat. It's what some people stuff (over-stuff, more accurately) into their faces at McDonald's that makes them fat.

I eat lunch at McDonald's, Jack-In-The-Box, or Taco Time (depending on my work schedule) five times a week, and I've gone from 250 pounds to 220 pounds in the last three years, on my way to 200 - 210.
    Okay then, ... You'll become limber quicker than McDonalds makes you unhealthy... how's that?
    Ben Lightener

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McLean
    ...Then he suggest to flex the muscles at their farthest point after stretching about 30-40 seconds this allows you to go a little further in the stretch.

...I find the flexing at the farthest point the most beneficial since as martial artist we are flexing all the time at extension.
    I assume you mean contracting, not flexing (as in "flexible"). Muscles don't flex; joints do.

Muscles contract or relax, in order to flex (make the angle sharper), extend (make the angle straighter), or lock (by contracting both agonist and antagonist muscles simultaneously) a joint.

HTH.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuki
    ...quicker than McDonalds makes you unhealthy... how's that?
    I understand what you're saying, but -- again -- McDonald's doesn't make anyone unhealthy. People make themselves unhealthy by their choices.

It may seem as though I'm splitting hairs, but it's important for people to take responsibility for their own lives, and stop trying to blame others for their problems. The Trial Lawyers' Association might not like that, but frivolous lawsuits like the class action suit against McDonald's on behalf of all fat people only serve to make the lawyers richer while encouraging the plaintiffs to get ever more irresponsible.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Yes Brian that is what I was referring to. Using old gym rat terminology LOL.
    Chris McLean
    Martial Arts student

Likes (received)

Cool

I understand what you're saying, but -- again -- McDonald's doesn't make anyone unhealthy. People make themselves unhealthy by their choices.

It may seem as though I'm splitting hairs, but it's important for people to take responsibility for their own lives, and stop trying to blame others for their problems. The Trial Lawyers' Association might not like that, but frivolous lawsuits like the class action suit against McDonald's on behalf of all fat people only serve to make the lawyers richer while encouraging the plaintiffs to get ever more irresponsible.

I eat at Mc D's a few times a week for lunch and believe that the foods I choose are pretty healthy. I avoid the fries and the big macs and sugar drinks and stick to one regular hamburger (the small ones for kids) and the double hamburger with a large unsweetened ice tea. The little hamburgers are quite low in the bad trans fats and are a decent source of protein. I work out on average 3 to 4 times a week with 3 days in my dojo and one or two days with a 3 to 5 mile run. I've been able to lower my cholesterol from 205 to 180.

I too feel it is ludicrous to blame a restaurant for selling you what you are asking for. Stop eating 2 big macs and 2 large fries. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that that isn’t real healthy. Life is about choices and we have many. Wendy’s has a great new sandwich that isn’t bad for you and so does Arby’s. For breakfast if I want something which is rare, I get a steak burrito. It’s filled with eggs, grilled onions and peppers and sliced steak. That’s a great source of protein (I don’t know about the trans fats though…I’m hoping).

ABOUT THE BOOK

I’m very interested in finding that book that talks about stretching. I will do a search and see if I can come up with the one everyone is speaking of.

K. Allen
    Kevin S. Allen
    Newport News, Va.
    www.shotokanvirginia.com

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.

Ulysses S. Grant

Likes (received)

I eat at Mc D's a few times a week for lunch and believe that the foods I choose are pretty healthy. I avoid the fries and the big macs and sugar drinks and stick to one regular hamburger (the small ones for kids) and the double hamburger with a large unsweetened ice tea. The little hamburgers are quite low in the bad trans fats and are a decent source of protein. I work out on average 3 to 4 times a week with 3 days in my dojo and one or two days with a 3 to 5 mile run. I've been able to lower my cholesterol from 205 to 180.

I too feel it is ludicrous to blame a restaurant for selling you what you are asking for. Stop eating 2 big macs and 2 large fries. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that that isn’t real healthy. Life is about choices and we have many. Wendy’s has a great new sandwich that isn’t bad for you and so does Arby’s. For breakfast if I want something which is rare, I get a steak burrito. It’s filled with eggs, grilled onions and peppers and sliced steak. That’s a great source of protein (I don’t know about the trans fats though…I’m hoping).

ABOUT THE BOOK

I’m very interested in finding that book that talks about stretching. I will do a search and see if I can come up with the one everyone is speaking of.

K. Allen
    I would disagree about McDonald"s food. I don't think that there is ANYTHING healthy there except salad... if they have salad... do they have salad?

Even their breakfast stuff has bread i.e. biscuits, and English muffins which are loaded to the point of exploding with hydrogenated oils, and /or saturated fat.
    Michael Philippus

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Likes (received)

Wink Here is the book by Kurz

Stretching Scientifically: A Guide to Flexibility Training (4th Revision ed) (Paperback)
    by Thomas Kurz

You can get it through amazon

$25

I ordered one today

K. Allen
    Kevin S. Allen
    Newport News, Va.
    www.shotokanvirginia.com

Ulysses S. Grant

Likes (received)

Cool come on...don't get picky

Quote Originally Posted by Texasmic
    I would disagree about McDonald"s food. I don't think that there is ANYTHING healthy there except salad... if they have salad... do they have salad?

Even their breakfast stuff has bread i.e. biscuits, and English muffins which are loaded to the point of exploding with hydrogenated oils, and /or saturated fat.
    They have three decent salads and you can add grilled chicken if you like.

I’m not saying that Mc D’s is the best choice for everyone, but given the work schedules of many of us and our desire not to pack a bag lunch, it can be a decent alternative. I don’t think it is at all educating to simply make blanket statements or definitive statements without some form of back up. I suppose I too should have qualified my statements and I will better in the future but I think most would have gotten my point.

A small hamburger has 3.5 grams our saturated fat. Sodium is a little high but that isn’t one of my concerns at this time. That may change as I get older

A Big Mac has 10 grams

A quarter pounder with cheese has 12 grams

A large order of fries has 6 grams of saturated fat and grams of trans fats

None of us can argue that eating fast food is a great thing but my point is that if you do, try and do it right and it can make a difference. So if I’m used to having a big mac with large fries and coke and I go with two small hamburgers and an ice tea instead, I’m better off than I was before. I’m taking in less trans fats and saturated fats and that’s a good thing.

K. Allen
    Kevin S. Allen
    Newport News, Va.
    www.shotokanvirginia.com

Ulysses S. Grant

Likes (received)

They have three decent salads and you can add grilled chicken if you like.

I’m not saying that Mc D’s is the best choice for everyone, but given the work schedules of many of us and our desire not to pack a bag lunch, it can be a decent alternative. I don’t think it is at all educating to simply make blanket statements or definitive statements without some form of back up. I suppose I too should have qualified my statements and I will better in the future but I think most would have gotten my point.

A small hamburger has 3.5 grams our saturated fat. Sodium is a little high but that isn’t one of my concerns at this time. That may change as I get older

A Big Mac has 10 grams

A quarter pounder with cheese has 12 grams

A large order of fries has 6 grams of saturated fat and grams of trans fats

None of us can argue that eating fast food is a great thing but my point is that if you do, try and do it right and it can make a difference. So if I’m used to having a big mac with large fries and coke and I go with two small hamburgers and an ice tea instead, I’m better off than I was before. I’m taking in less trans fats and saturated fats and that’s a good thing.

K. Allen
    Oh I suppose I was "picking nits", but I don't do fast food at all, and have not for a few years now. If I forget to pack a lunch, I don't eat.

At my age (and weight) I'm better off not eating than eating fast-food.

I am a very anit-hydrodginated and saturated fat type because I have a tendency to gain weight easily. They put this crap in our food to give it a longer shelf life, and because it is cheaper than natural oils. I also avoid anything with corn syrup sweetener. Which means no ice cream because it contains both now a days.

I am not against natural fat, and I eat things with natural sugar. I am no "tofu eating health freak" as you would plainly see if you looked at me.

I use butter, I like cheese, I just like potatoes too much.

What does this have to do with stretching? Well, it is hard to stretch when your belly is so big you can't touch your toes.
    Michael Philippus

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Likes (received)

Default Not to get back on the topic, or anything . . .

J. Dotsie --

When you reach the pinnacle of any stretch, remember to breathe in deeply, then exhale as you move to the next stretch position, then breathe in deeply again, etc.

You will begin to tune into and build a rhythm with an inner pace. I am over 40, overweight (with the good intention of building and developing a denser ki), and while today I cannot touch my toes, I can, during the months that I am able to burn my energy, develop a nice stretch simply by allowing my breath to move my body.

Give it a try. It can't hurt.

Best of luck to you.

And by the way, I used to manage a Wendy's, and while they have great salads and some really healthy food, if you stay at it day in and day out, you will definitely put the pounds on.

We all make choices in our lives, eh what?

Best regards.
    NLMontana Freemãn

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast