Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Over 40, out of shape and stretching

Likes (received)

I'd like to add a comment about yoga practice as a way to improve your flexibility. Well, a few comments really:

- There are all kinds of modifications you can do for the yoga postures to allow someone who is not all that flexible to begin gradually. However, if the tapes you have don't go into detail on the modifications that suit your body, you won't know how to do them. Don't get frustrated if you cannot do the postures the way you see in the tapes or books -- it may take years to get that flexible. However, even after a few months of regular practice you'll find a night and day difference.

- I highly recommend finding a yoga studio and dropping in for a few classes to get the hang of things, and then use the tapes as an extension of what you learned there. This way you can get live feedback from a teacher who can show you the modifications that suit you.

- There are some types of yoga that practice the stretch for a while, rest, then repeat model. This won't create enough activity/heat for the stretching to be beneficial. If this is what you are doing, you will need to warm up with physical activity first.

- Alternatively, some types of yoga (Astanga, Bikram), have specific methods for keeping the heat going. In Astanga, it's in the flowing movements. In Bikram, it's in the thermostat.

- Finally, you need to do it at least four times a week to really start to realize the benefits. You'll get some benefit from twice a week but four or more will be much better.

Chris
    Chris Guzik

"You can never do a kindness too soon,
    because you never know how soon it will be too late."

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Likes (received)

Default Thanks again everyone

Thanks again to everyone. Here is a little update:

1. I am once again following the weight watchers program that had me down to an appropriate weight up until some months ago (lots of things were happening in my life, and I used each of them as an excuse to eat out of control). I've lost somewhere around 10 lb so far . . .

2. I've decided to do yoga on off nights. I ordered and just received (minutes ago) a DVD - yoga for inflexible people. I'm going to give that a try since I could not even come close to doing anything the other programs were suggesting. But I had been doing stretching - er - most nights when I was not at the dojo.

My daughter (who started jujutsu with me) says she sees a difference in my flexibility already - so hopefully we're making progress.
    Joseph Dostie

Likes (received)

http://www.trickstutorials.com/index...nt/flexibility

This informational page helped me increased my flexibility so much. Check out some of the stretches and advice.
    Keith Bevacqui

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilliams
    Breathing correctly will allow you to get far more from your stretching programme (and your jujutsu) - yoga will teach you that
    I find breathing and doing anything that requires effort very difficult. I am not sure, but I think I hold my breath when I'm doing jujutsu techniques, taking Ukeme, etc. . . thus I get out of breath very quickly. I KNOW that I find it hard to breath when I do stretches, etc.
    Joseph Dostie

Likes (received)

Default Hydration helps stretching?

Quote Originally Posted by from [url
    http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/][/url]

According to M. Alter, the main reason we become less flexible as we get older is a result of certain changes that take place in our connective tissues. As we age, our bodies gradually dehydrate to some extent. It is believed that "stretching stimulates the production or retention of lubricants between the connective tissue fibers, thus preventing the formation of adhesions". Hence, exercise can delay some of the loss of flexibility that occurs due to the aging process.

I had been doing fairly well early on (about the time this thread was started), but somewhere along the line I seem to have gotten "less limber." Could be due to spousal demands on nights when I am not at jujutsu, or perhaps because of hydration? I am not drinking as much water as I had been (which was quite a lot).

Maybe it's both?

So, if I read the above correctly, drinking lot's of water might help on this???
    Last edited by jdostie; 16th February 2007 at 18:43. Reason: Forgot to add the title
    Joseph Dostie

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by jdostie
    ...So, if I read the above correctly, drinking lot's of water might help on this???
    Yes, but it's not enough merely to drink more. To get the water into the connective tissues, rather than just passing it through your urinary system, you need to exercise. Connective tissue is thixotropic, which means it becomes more fluid with heat and movement, and less fluid with cold and stillness. (Which is also why massage helps flexibility, and why warming up should be done before stretching rather than after, as is done by many.)
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Thanks Brian.

I'll try that. More water, and stretching 'after' workouts.
    Joseph Dostie

Likes (received)

I want to thank everyone for the info provided in this thread, and I'm also glad to see that I'm not alone. I'm 36 and just started Genbukan Ninpo training this week, and have not trained in martial arts for many years. I was very sore the day after my first class, however it seemed as though the second class actually helped loosen me up even more instead of making it worse. Hopefully that's a good sign of things to come.
    Eric Bell

Genbukan Ninpo

Likes (received)

After reading all the posts to this thread, I too, feel better about my decision to return to training. I am 49; (way to close to the dreaded 50!!!); have trained on and off in various martial arts since I was a kid. In the early 90's I had trained in the Bujinkan, moved out of the area and could not continue as there was no teacher available. Trained in jujutsu until a torn ACL put me out of commision for some time. Then, the usual - life, career, family obligations and general apathy put me on a slow downward spiral regards my physical condition. It appears I was living on my old "laurels". I always felt the desire and passion to restart training and began to reinvestigate where my path would take me. One month ago, I put away all the different belts I had and put on a brand new white belt and have started training in Genbukan Ninpo Bugei. I feel great but my body is not what it was like 20 -30 years ago!!! The day after training has not been fun! I certainly can relate to all the posts regards to stretching and flexibility, endurance and strength. I hope all of us find our proper path and achieve all that we want. Thanks to all in this forum that make us "seniors" feel that we can jump back on the road to the martial way. Hey! maybe an "over 40" thread would be in order!!
    "Kind regards in the name of Budo spirit"

Jeff Goldstein

Likes (received)

[Edit: Off topic material deleted by moderator]

...I'm glad to see connective tissue being given fair attention in this discussion. Many people live with the assumption that connective tissue can not be improved, but this is not true. It's especially important for older martial artists to take the health and maintenance of connective tissue into consideration. (In this context, "connective tissue" can mean any energy conducting tissue in the body that isn't organ, muscle, or bone.) Like the rest of our body, connective tissue is best served by overall good health. The foundation of good health is proper nutrition and rest. Adequate recovery is one key to enjoyable training as we get older and also one of the best ways to keep connective tissue lively.

No metaphor is perfect when it comes to describing the body's function, but if muscles are like rubber bands, connective tissue is like taffy. Warmed and slowly stretched, it can become flexible and strong over time. However, it also has the same risk of snapping. Doing long-held stretches that reach connective tissues are great for flexibilty, strength, and stability. This kind of stretch isn't good before practice, but maybe after the bath, before bad.

Very general points, I know.
    Last edited by Brian Owens; 25th June 2007 at 15:55.

Likes (received)

Great thread....is there a Martial Arts stretching for Dummies anywhere? Frankly, I've heard so many opinions and perspectives that I'm lost. I'd love to know which stretches, how often, how quickly, etc.
    Lester Long

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by llong View Post
    Great thread....is there a Martial Arts stretching for Dummies anywhere?...I'd love to know which stretches, how often, how quickly, etc.
    Bill "Superfoot" Wallace put out a good book a few years ago.

Also a man named Jean Frenette or something like that.

Not "...for Dummies" books, but good material all the same.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Have you ever hear of Ginastical Natural? The Brazilian Art of Ginastica Natural combines the techniques of stretching, flexibility and respiration of hatha-yoga, the ground movements of jiu-jitsu, and the natural movements of the human body.

It helps tremendously because it works simultaneously on both flexibility and strength.

You can found more information here: www.ginasticanatural.com

I hope it helps

-Ryokushin
    Please visit my website: www.47Ronins.com

Likes (received)

Oh, and i forgot, it might seems silly, but drink plenty of water everyday, at least 2 liters. It REALLY helps.

-Ryokushin
    Please visit my website: www.47Ronins.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by jdostie View Post
    I have NEVER been very limber. As a kid, I could not touch my toes if I kept my legs perfectly straight for example.

Now, at nearly 44, I am two weeks into jujutsu. We do stretches at the beginning of class, which I am also doing on off days. I am getting "better" at them, but certain stretches are painful even when I try to be sure not to over do it. There is one in particular that we do where we kneel down, and lean back (everyone else puts their heads on the floor), and I try to go back as far as I can and support myself with my arms - which is hard to do because of the angles (this may be the source of the pain because I can usually limit all of the other stretches to the "stretching point.")

I imagine over time that this will get better. Has anyone else gone from a place of near inflexibility to relative flexibility? At an age over 40?

I have noticed that there are certain moves (I don't remember what it is called), but one in particular where the attacker (uki?) is standing over me, and I am supposed to pull one of my legs through his, and then use that to push him back in a kind of scissor move. I can't make my leg move in this way without pulling it with my hand (unless I want to kick him on the way through which would not be funny, and isn't part of the move). I am hoping that over time I'll be able to limber myself enough to do each of the required moves.

Any thoughts?

When you said stretching in the beggining of class. Maybe that's the problem and you are not warmed up enough.

What you are refering to is about hip flexibility. Right?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast