Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The Demise of the Training Partner

Likes (received)

Default The Demise of the Training Partner

Just one of those 'what if' questions

Do you think one day, with modern technology, that they will be able to develop robots that will be as good, if not better than human training partners? And do you think they will make you better or worse if they were solely used in budo/ MA?

Check out this video of a kendo robot that they are working on at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGzHp...com%2Flinks%2F

Cheers
    Rev. Matt Boxall AKA Dr. Stupid

*Puts on wizard hat and robe*

Likes (received)

Maybe. Depends on what you want it to be. By having it you can say that it has no kokoro. But can you put in kokoro into a robot and have it "feel" the nature and essence of the art form?

Maybe in time it will be able to emulate the movements, bot Soke Hatsumi said to move in a repeative manner will make you become robotic. So will the flow of budo be matched by the machine, or will it just mimic the patterns it has been given. Will it learn or will it just be another toy for the elite dojo's?

Likes (received)

Who cares? What I want to know is when are they going to invent one I can have sex with....and will that mean the demise of women. C'mon inventors ....end the suffering!
    Richard Price

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Human106
    Who cares? What I want to know is when are they going to invent one I can have sex with....and will that mean the demise of women. C'mon inventors ....end the suffering!
    Therre was one developed in Belgium on the early to mid 90's that simulated the sexual side. Basically, it was an all over body suit.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Human106
    Yeah. It's a lot more complicated to make men useless, you need to have a robot that takes out the trash, kills bugs, reads maps (though they have those in cars now) and a few other random utility things.

Of course, for a mechanical device that makes sex with men passe, they already have those...
    Trevor Johnson

Low kicks and low puns a specialty.

Likes (received)

what about drinks beer, eats potato chips, sits on the couch? These are irreplaceable qualities...
    Michael Hobson

Mukyudoka

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by kiai
    what about drinks beer, eats potato chips, sits on the couch? These are irreplaceable qualities...
    You're confusing irreplaceable with desireable here. Ashida Kim and Frank Dux may be irreplaceable, but I don't think that many on this forum think that that's a bad thing. When the big ninja in the sky finally flips out and kills them, they're not coming back!
    Trevor Johnson

Low kicks and low puns a specialty.

Likes (received)

How about this for a film script?

Wussworld

A mad inventor creates a huge training camp populated by poorly trained martial arts robots who get beaten up by wimpish human visitors. This is Wussworld.

One day however the robots get door knocked by GoKan Ryu. They get training and become blackbelts in three weeks, and then go on the rampage with their newly found skills.

Jet Li is brought out of retirement and kicks their butts.

FIN
    Jonathan Adrian Treloar
    Perception is strong, Sight is weak - Musashi
    Right forearm is strong, Sight is weak - Treloar

Likes (received)

I would SO download that movie
    Rev. Matt Boxall AKA Dr. Stupid

*Puts on wizard hat and robe*

Likes (received)

If we ever see training robots, how long before we see a robot super soke?
    joe yang, the three edged sword of truth

"Not going to be fooled by you again Joe Yang's right you are evil and self-serving." Haiyomi

"Give my regards to joe yang. very intelligent man." Sojobow

Likes (received)

Wouldn't it be simpler to build a robot to do the fighting for you. I mean building one that trains you to fight seems like a wasted step in the evolution of fighting machines. If it can train you to fight, it should be able to kill any adversary you have.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy_ssj
    Just one of those 'what if' questions

Do you think one day, with modern technology, that they will be able to develop robots that will be as good, if not better than human training partners? And do you think they will make you better or worse if they were solely used in budo/ MA?

Check out this video of a kendo robot that they are working on at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGzHp...com%2Flinks%2F

Cheers
    Ian Johnston

Likes (received)

Are we any closer?

I'm intrigued by the "all over body suit" that Will referred to. Was that named for the guarantee "two minutes and it's all over - you'll never need women again" or because it is programmed with a woman's voice "wake me up when it's all over".

The martial arts version of the robotic training partner will have to be able to detect the difference between a resisting partner and one who has forgotten to to out as he just lost cosciousness. It must be programmable to offer varying degrees of competence, with a scale from "unable to escape from wet paper bag" to "if you can still see me, then you must be hallucinating". I can see the advertising slogans already... How many of them will contain a reference to Bruce Lee? MMA-in-a-box, Insta-Fight, Punch-inda-Facebook

/I'll get my coat
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Do you think one day, with modern technology, that they will be able to develop robots that will be as good, if not better than human training partners?
    Sure, how about the Wing Chun dummy?!?

Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Sad when the dummy is the smartest training partner we have!

Seriously though, I'd like to think people are developing robots that actually perform useful tasks, like just about any other thing than fighting for supremacy in Akihabara!
    Andrew Smallacombe

Aikido Kenshinkai

JKA Tokorozawa

Now trotting over a bridge near you!