Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Check this add from Gumtree.com London

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_D

Does anyone know the kanji symbols for 'holier than thou', by the way? (not you, mike ;-) )

Unless this starts going somewhere soon in terms of intelligent debate rather than emotional reaction based on what your instructors taught you, I'm off this forum. We talk about 'leadership' so much in this industry when most of the people in it follow the advice of their predecessors meekly like sheep.
    Lol, when I read 'holier than thou' I read it in a Harry Enfield "Considerably richer than Yaaow!" voice, I don't know why!

To be honest I think us traditionalist and a person as yourself who sees it as a business venture differ from 2 different worlds. None are correct as they are just opinions at the end of the day, they are just different points of view towards gaining a goal.

How long does it take to develop wisdom? A lot less than an awesome spinning kick in some cases (and mine isn't great - bad hips) ;-)
    I was trying to just agree to disagree but just gotta make one last snide comment quick

Developing wisdom takes a HELL of a lot longer than learning a kick! A spin kick may take a couple of weeks hard practice.Wisdom takes a lifetime The accumulation of facts is called knowledge, the use of knowledge is called Wisdom which only a handful of people (me not being one of them ) know in this world.

Ciao and take it easy, I just think it's different practices. I've just realised I've gotta resurect the baffling budo dictionary for another bashing
    Rev. Matt Boxall AKA Dr. Stupid

*Puts on wizard hat and robe*

Likes (received)

Hey TJ, I've just checked out your profile.

Rather than worry about my rank, pedigree, business , philosophy, tournament successes, instructors, favourite colour, why don't you instead focus your efforts on finishing your education and not being broke all the time?
    First of all it's Tijs. To you foreigners it sound the same as Tj, but not here.

Your ranks shows us if you're just some piece of $h!t or the real deal. Are you afraid we might find out who you really are? If not, just tell us. If you are a legit MA-ist you've got nothing to fear.

Butt out of my education, school is expensive. Have you ever been to college?
    Tijs Dingerdis

Likes (received)

Unless this starts going somewhere soon in terms of intelligent debate rather than emotional reaction based on what your instructors taught you, I'm off this forum. We talk about 'leadership' so much in this industry when most of the people in it follow the advice of their predecessors meekly like sheep.
    I sadly agree with you about the sterility of the debate... For me at least, we don't talk about the same thing, and not with the same language. With no judgment: it all depends on the point of view...

I'm not in an industry, and follow the advice of my predecessors because in taking Naginata, I learned that wisdom would not be mine before a LONG time.. if ever!

I was told it's described as Shu-Ha-Ri...

Wish me good luck on that way, I wish you good luck on yours.

No harm intended

Likes (received)

Mike - I learned the martial arts business specific system I now operate, paid 10k for it and generated 70k last year using it. Sound financial sense? I'm no accountant but that seems like a pretty good return. Also, some of the students on the course at the moment are about a 3rd of the way through and are already making income from within the business. They learn the same business model that I use...
    I very much hope that's true. It would still leave me sceptical about the martial content of your courses, but I can live with that. Not everybody trains for the same reasons, and even McDojos have their place.

I would also hope that any prospective student of yours comes armed with a long and detailed list of questions about what exactly they will be getting for their money (again, some more information on your website would help - e.g. a timetable, and names/descriptions of the course modules).

Come to think of it, my BJJ school shares premises with a non-/semi-contact kickboxing school, and they are absolutely coining it in. Plus they have lots of good-looking female students. Hmmmm, maybe I'm in the wrong career...

On a positive note Richard, I respect the way you've conducted yourself on here, especially as you knew in advance you would get flamed. I actually hope you stick around and contribute from time to time. I don't share your views, but it's good to get a different perspective.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

TJ - you have no idea about what the martial arts should be about. You think that people get into MA because they want to become great physical specimens? Ever taught at a women's refuge? Thought not. They are not interested in how good their horse stance is, let me tell you. BTW - Traditional MA is going to get you killed in a confrontation, so don't start peddaling that 'self defence' rubbish. Mat ability has nothing to do with the reality of conflict. I'm ex-forces, so can speak with some authority on the matter... As for butting out of your education; butt out of slagging off my livelihood. You so curious about my rank and whether i'm for real or not...come over and find out for yourself. I have nothing to fear...certainly not from you. You talk like a white belt I kicked out last month.

Anyone else accuses me of being a scammer or a con artist; make an appointment and we can have a coffee over our differences - I'm buying. ;-) Maybe we can all learn something...

That's it.

I've said my piece and I'm done. Enjoy the forums; shame we cannot all agree all the time. Train hard, fight easy, be noble.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilliams
    On a positive note Richard, I respect the way you've conducted yourself on here, especially as you knew in advance you would get flamed. I actually hope you stick around and contribute from time to time. I don't share your views, but it's good to get a different perspective.
    ^^ Seconded
    Rev. Matt Boxall AKA Dr. Stupid

*Puts on wizard hat and robe*

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWilliams
    I second that

Likes (received)

Hey, thanks guys. Means a lot. Hopefully now this thread will move from this 'questionable location' to a different one!

Perhaps it was down to the 'warmness' of my welcome ;-) that I might hang out after all.

Seems like while the reasons we stay in the martial arts may differ, I firmly believe that the core reasons we started in the first place are not so different. Whether we went the path of Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Russian or whatever, I feel we were looking for the same things. We should remember and embrace those reasons, instead of clinging desperately to the path we took to realise them. No system is wrong, unless it harms the mind, body, spirit or country.

See you around.
    ;-)

Likes (received)

[QUOTE=Richie_D]TJ - you have no idea about what the martial arts should be about.

Maybe, maybe not. But telling people that the can be a proficient MA instructor in 18 months isn’t it.

Ever taught at a women's refuge? Thought not. They are not interested in how good their horse stance is, let me tell you.
    Neither is giving these women a false feeling of security.

BTW - Traditional MA is going to get you killed in a confrontation, so don't start peddaling that 'self defence' rubbish. Mat ability has nothing to do with the reality of conflict.
    Not all MA. But most MA, even traditional ones, will become proficient at some level. Mat ability, sparring, randori and tournaments, might not be the real world but will teach you how you react during stress and fear. As ex-forces guy, you must have trained on the mat, so that when the moment came, you where ready.

I'm ex-forces, so can speak with some authority on the matter... As for butting out of your education; butt out of slagging off my livelihood. You so curious about my rank and whether i'm for real or not...come over and find out for yourself.
    I’m broke remember? I can’t come over. What is wrong about questioning your legitimacy? All the fakes I’ve seen on this board where afraid to show us their credentials: prove me wrong.

I have nothing to fear...certainly not from you. You talk like a white belt I kicked out last month.
    Whooo, I’m soooo scared… not. No you’ve got nothing to fear, but I thought you forces folks where all about honour and respect?

Anyone else accuses me of being a scammer or a con artist; make an appointment and we can have a coffee over our differences - I'm buying. ;-) Maybe we can all learn something...
    Can some one visit the guy? I really want to know his credentials

Ohhh, it’s still Tijs. Show some respect and call me by my name, thanks.
    Tijs Dingerdis

Likes (received)

Tijs,

'Neither is giving these women a false feeling of security.'
    How does this happen? Do you know what I teach them? The course I offer is approved by the Womens Institute, btw.

The first time I used my martial arts to defend myself, I got a kicking. Not because I wasn't any good on the mat, but emotionally I was unprepared for the violence I was involved in. Traditional training on a mat does not prepare for this; check out Geoff Thompson, Tony Blauer or Gary Payne for more on this. This would make an interesting thread on its own, unless its here already..

Why is this all about my credentials with you? Are you taking the course? No? Never mind about them, then. I prove who I am to anyone I am about to do business with, and not time wasters with nothing better to do.

Don't be scared - you wouldn't be harmed. What on earth do you think I am? It was a genuine invitation; maybe when you've got more money...

'Ohhh, it’s still Tijs. 'Show some respect and call me by my name'
    Done. Now earn some and bring something useful to the debate.
    Last edited by Richie_D; 16th August 2006 at 15:25.

Likes (received)

Ex forces? What regiment?cap badge anything? I hate it when guys talk about the forces as if it means anything and should prove something.
    Were did you serve? Were did you see action soldier? That would count for something but even then i know SF boys in Iraq who didn.t even fire off one round. And I would not teach a womans refuge in a different way then I would teach anyone else. Oh and before you start asking yes i have had more than a brief encounter with people that have had abusive pasts and although MA is a useful tool in some of these situations it can have a completly opposite effect in others.
    Keep to the way of the warrior

Mc'pherson Lee

Likes (received)

Mr. Diston I think it would set every ones mind at ease if you outlined you curicculum for us. I mean all this about the philosophy and the mind set is of course vital but we are still talking about a MA so what are the physical skill sets that you teach? Does your training factor in psychological and physical aspects and if so in which way? It is these things more than lineage that would show one's knoweldge and perhaps even their goals.

Mc'pherson Lee

Likes (received)

Hi Lee,

I was RAF ground crew, certainly nothing to shout about. Rather, the combat I experienced was in the Naafi twice a week; scarier than Iraq... ;-)

I teach reality based systems to the people who need self protection, and the freestyle karate (sports syllabus) to those who are looking for fitness, flexibility, sparring, that kind of thing. I am under no illusions that the sports stuff will be of any help in a fight, so do not teach it with that emphasis.

It's all about tailoring the course to the client; someone wanting to learn self protection is hardly going to get what they need from a nunchaku class...so I run different classes for different things. The focus is not on what I want to teach, but on what the students want from their MA training. Anything else seems a little arrogant to me.

Brilliant posts and you are bang on with your questions. The content of the CIT course is available for anyone who wants to email me for the .pdf. ;-)

The MA is predominantly a CKD/ TKD stand-up mixture with additional elements from Shotokan Karate (in terms of the wonderful variety of open handed striking) and Krav Maga (elbow and knee work). The reality stuff I teach is more based in Kadishnikov and Ryabko Systema systems and some Hagganah /Krav Maga materials. I would love to train in BJJ and Wing Chun, but lack the time right now. ;-) I termed the sports stuff Freestyle Karate rather than be one of these blokes choosing an oriental name in an attempt to sound authentic. ;-)

Hope that helps.

Likes (received)

Yes they can be very dangerous LOL
    Now while I don't agree on what you are doing (it's an ethical thing for me) you have made no wild claims and seem quite truthfull about what it is you do. That being the case I wish you could luck in your journey mate.

Mc'pherson Lee

Likes (received)

Richard, I have ten years experience in prison as a defensive tactics instructor and a shift response team leader and that is just for starters. I call BS on your dismissal of traditional martial arts and your claims of combat experience. While I do respect you for coming on here, as a successful, working, professional martial artist myself, who are you to tell us what the martial arts are? And for where this thread belongs, stick around.
    joe yang, the three edged sword of truth

"Not going to be fooled by you again Joe Yang's right you are evil and self-serving." Haiyomi

"Give my regards to joe yang. very intelligent man." Sojobow

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast