Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Nathan Scott is FIGHT SCIENCE!!!

Likes (received)

OMG...

Nathan, sorry to see that you and Obata Sensei were juxtaposed with that rubbish...

The two of you did a fantastic job.

Best,
    Ron

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred27
    I almost hesistate to ask, but what does KKKK mean?
    "Krappy Karate Katana Kamae" -- an old thread we had going a while back, featuring people who thought expertise in one martial art automatically conveyed ability in swordsmanship...and who were wrong.

It started out as some fun/funny (to us) pictures of KKKK, but evolved over time to other types of "interesting" photos.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Dear Nathan,

Even if it may sound fun, I ALSO saw the video dubbed in Italian on Adventure One channel!

While the "science" part was done good, they chose a whole bunch of semi-serious people, for no apparent reason. I do agree that you and Obata Sensei were the most serious ones.

In my personal order of what a MA should NOT be, there was: the australian big-jim guy (WHY GIVE HIM A SWORD!!?), the black guy trying to convince me that nunchaku is the ultimate weapon, the KILLING-BLOW NINJA, and of course the jackie chan guy.

Then I asked myself, as a practitioner of a serious MA, BUT WHY THE HELL did they call xxxxxxx Gracie (there are too many of them, my head is full of Gracies, but just how many children the average brazilian family make?!?!) to rehepresent jujutsu?????? It was REALLY terrible, almost made me want to just go out and stick to boxe... I believe it didn't make any good advertisement to jujitsu and aikido... as opposed, probably now the two "Bulldozer Boyz" will have a lot of people: just like "weee, I smashed myself into an ice wall". I don't particularly like Obata's aikijutsu, but CERTAINLY it is a serious and working martial art as opposed to the other shown, why the hell they cut you out?

The other funny thing was that every group wrote under the name that the teacher was "xx" time champion of [name of each one's art]... the HELL they are! When I create my own association and my own art, just naming it new-wave karate doesn't mean I am a "karate WORLD CHAMPION".

In any case, you did fine, and now that you say you really wanted to do bo-shuriken (the REAL ones) I'm much more relieved... I also believe you lost a lot of weight from the last time I saw you in a video!

Best regards,

Giacomo Merello
    Giacomo Merello

Dan Harden Guest

Quote Originally Posted by judasith
    Dear Nathan,

Then I asked myself, as a practitioner of a serious MA, BUT WHY THE HELL did they call xxxxxxx Gracie (there are too many of them, my head is full of Gracies, but just how many children the average brazilian family make?!?!) to rehepresent jujutsu?????? It was REALLY terrible, almost made me want to just go out and stick to boxe... I believe it didn't make any good advertisement to jujitsu and aikido...

Giacomo Merello
    Rickson Gracie is considerd by many to be the best rep of the Gracie family.
    Ricksons vale tudo/jujutsu is an excellent, relaxed approach, to fighting. I'd guess not taking -him- seriously would last as long as trying to remain on your feet in front of him.
    I don't see the trouble with including modern derivations of combatives as serious arts in with older ones.Perticularly ones that have a reproducible, principle, driven basis for movement. I fullly realize there is a dissmissive attitude toward these type of fighters. But I think it serves as a detriment to the arts in general.

As for new VS old "serious" (whatever that means) or silly-If we went back in time.... we'd all be doing Gendai Budo. So all that would remain is a definition of serious or not.
    And for what its worth in a new VS old- that would make the Gracies art older than Shinkendo.
    I think there is a better argument to be made then to dismiss Rickson Gracie.

I'm a great proponent of
    1. Does it work?
    2. Is it replicable/teachable
    3. Is it definable

Beyond that I'd say keep traditions intact. And there are thankfully many of us doing that very thing. And then exploring, refining, experimenting, perfecting our own movement. Fighting at various levels including sparring is a very good way to do that.

The lack of depth is an obvious issue. And many see right through it. But overly complex, cooperative pretzel-logic has a fallacy all its own. The real sadness was not examining the efficiency of movement and loss of energy in many martial artists movements. The speed at hitting the heavy bag and the obvious loss of power was appalling and unwarranted. Even laughable.

Cheers
    Dan

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens
    "Krappy Karate Katana Kamae" -- an old thread we had going a while back, featuring people who thought expertise in one martial art automatically conveyed ability in swordsmanship...and who were wrong.

It started out as some fun/funny (to us) pictures of KKKK, but evolved over time to other types of "interesting" photos.
    Heh, ok thanks
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Any idea who the shirtless guy was?
    Jason Click

Likes (received)

Ah I found it, Bren Foster.
    Jason Click

Likes (received)

I saw the part of it with the TKD guy cutting. Well

How Embarrassment as they say............
    Mat Rous

Likes (received)

Nathan I enjoyed watching your part, Obata Sensei's part, Dan Inosanto and Rickson Gracies parts as well. As for the Tae Kwon Do guy flailing with the Katana. Well that part I could have done without.
    Brian R. VanCise

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian VanCise
    Nathan I enjoyed watching your part, Obata Sensei's part, Dan Inosanto and Rickson Gracies parts as well. As for the Tae Kwon Do guy flailing with the Katana. Well that part I could have done without.
    Could any one decipher his Kiai?
    Mat Rous

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Scott
    <snip>I'm sure wearing armor or not is a factor in whether stances were higher or lower, but IMO terrain and the need for a "hanmi" stance on a battlefield were probably bigger. I've worn armor, and I didn't feel as though sinking into a lower stance was going to relieve the weight. If anything, it would have been easier to stand up in shizentai.<snip>
    I've fought in medieval armour for a few years and it does help to have a lower stance, at least with the western style armour that I wore. I was adding an extra 30 kg ( about 65 lbs I think, including sword and shield) to my weight (I weigh 75kg), 3/4 of which is distributed above the waist. Since you are unnaturally top-heavy wearing it, the lower stance definitly helps with balance and keeping a nice low centre.

You're right about it not relieving the weight though, actually made my thighs work harder to keep me up

And let me add my kudos to the others... it was nice to see something real in amongst the posturing and ego stroking.
    Last edited by GavinPay; 14th November 2006 at 11:05.
    Gavin Pay

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3