Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Genseiryu and Genwakai

Likes (received)

Emile,
    Thanks for that information, it is good to have ones speculations confirmed by a source.

I had also misread the post quoting the article, it was only when I had reached a dead end with trying to track down the link between Judo in Okinawa and Takemura and posted here that I realised also.

It is a shame that so little information still seems available about Bushi Takemura or the Takemura family son.

Regards
    Chris Norman

Likes (received)

Hello,

I did translate the mentioned article series (3 parts) into German some time ago. The original was provided by an kind colleague. So I can not give you the whole piece. But please be ensured that my translation is correct...

As for the use of the term “jūdō” I am not sure whether it really points to the Kōdōkan jūdō itself or if it simply means a kind of jū-jutsu. I believe it is entirely possible that he introduced some Japanese kōryū to Ryūkyū. Similarly Haebaru is mentioned in this article for introducing Jigen-ryū to Ryūkyū. Of course this is only speculation of the humble translator...

Regards,

Henning Wittwer

Likes (received)

Thanks for your reply Gibukai !

Quote Originally Posted by Gibukai
    I did translate the mentioned article series (3 parts) into German some time ago. The original was provided by an kind colleague. So I can not give you the whole piece. But please be ensured that my translation is correct...
    I have no doubt you made a correct translation but I would have been very glad to get the article itself as a material evidence. Anyway I'll try to find some old issues of the ryukyu shinpo in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibukai
    As for the use of the term “jūdō” I am not sure whether it really points to the Kōdōkan jūdō itself or if it simply means a kind of jū-jutsu. I believe it is entirely possible that he introduced some Japanese kōryū to Ryūkyū. Similarly Haebaru is mentioned in this article for introducing Jigen-ryū to Ryūkyū. Of course this is only speculation of the humble translator...
    I think you're right. Maybe we should research the history of Kodokan judo in Okinawa to confirm wether Takemura's son was involve in judo or not (it'll mean that it was ju-jutsu then).
    Concerning Jigen-ryu, if Takemura was a kohai of Matsumura Sokon as reported by Tosa Kunihiko in his book, then we can imagine that Takemura could have been involve in Jigen-ryu too (Matsumura Sokon was sent to Satsuma-han=Kagoshima-ken to study Jigen-ryu Ken-jutsu and got a menkyo-kaiden).
    Last edited by Emile; 26th October 2007 at 06:10.

Likes (received)

Even if it was at Kodokan Judo that Takemura's son was exposed to in Kagoshima it is still extremely likely that Ju Justu was also still being practised there, even if only among more senior students. This was apparently quite common in Judo dojo's in the early part of the 20th Century.

Gibokai makes a good point, the term Judo may not necessarily have been Kodokan Judo, the term Judo could just easily mean Ju Jutsu. I did try and find out about Takemura from Okinawa and a connection to Kodokan Judo, but I drew a blank so far. It will be interesting to see what turns up. A Dojo location or name or the name of the Sensei in Kagoshima would be very useful.

Whilst it is possible that Bushi Takemura may as Kohai of Bushi Matsumura been involved in Jigen Ryu, we still do not know if Takemura passed this to Kishomoto and him on to Seitoku Higa and Shukimune Sensei. I still suspect that there is more to be learned from the Takemura son learning Judo/Ju Jutsu in Kagoshima, even if it is just to confirm or rule out possibilities. As Emile has pointed out earlier we do not have the personal names of Takemura or the Takemura son, which could also prove to be helpful.

Regards
    Chris Norman

Likes (received)

Default Further questions about Kishomoto

In a book called Shindoryu yumemaboroshi no jutsu, which is about Seitoku Higa and his style of martial arts, there is a mention of a Kijun Kishomoto, who Seitoku higa trained with before Kishomoto Soko. Has anybody heard of this Kijun Kishomoto from any other sources? I assume that Kijin is possibly related to Soko Kishomoto.

Also according to Ono's book about Shukimune, there is mention about his best friend being a Matsumora Choko (Choukou), does anybody know if this Matsumora is related to Matsumuro Kosaku of Tomari?

Regards
    Chris Norman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2