Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Supplements to use or not

Likes (received)

Default Supplements to use or not

i dont know were this topiic goes but just wanted to see the views of everyone here.

Topic: Do you train with supplements? If so which ones? If not why? Do they actually help.

I prefer old fashioned training but i do use whey protein because i dont absorb alot of protein. I do use occasional energy supplements if i feel tired and still want to train
    Last edited by whiteeagle7; 29th August 2006 at 19:29. Reason: misspleyed
    Matthew Hicks

Likes (received)

I'll take vitamins, mineral supplements, sometimes I'll toss some protein powder in whatever kind of juice I have around. It really depends on what I've been eating- bad but tasty food, or healthly- whether I take supplements.

I'm not overly consistent, but I find I will pop a protein/juice/shake of some sort as a quick on the run but need food type of thing.

I'll use some Chinese herbs as a cleanse or to help balance out as needed.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Yamamoto
    I'll use some Chinese herbs as a cleanse or to help balance out as needed.
    Hello Neil,
    May I ask what Chinese herbs that you use for cleansing? Now I'm Using green tea for anti-oxidents and to relax.(heard it also flushes).

Best regards and thank you for your time, Mike

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by whiteeagle7
    i dont know were this topiic goes but just wanted to see the views of everyone here.
    Good topic, and we have a sub-forum just for these kinds of subjects: Budo and the Body.

Many of the regulars at the BatB sub-forum are medical and/or allied health practitioners, herbalists, massage therapists, etc., plus just regular folk who have an interest in such things.

HTH.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

I take a multivitamin, also glucosamine and chondroitin for my joints. I supplement with whey protein because after an intense strength training session where your body is the most starving for protein, whey gives it what it needs the fastest. For weightlifting I also supplement with creatine monohydrate.

-----
    Roy Hubbard
    Roy Hubbard

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jasson View Post
    Supplements are good but sometime supplements not work and no doubt that supplements have many side effects so it is good to avoid using supplements.
    Hi Jasson, welcome to the forum.
    That's a pretty large blanket statement you made there. How do you figure that all supplements have many side effects? I take vitamin and mineral supplements because I know I don't eat properly, but have never heard of any sort of side effects from them. Perhaps you could elaborate and spell out your ideas in a bit more detail.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Gareth Del Monte Guest

Hello,
    I think the supplements you take are going to correlate to the type of training that you are personally engaged in,so I don't believe there is a "one size fits all" answer.
    I would as a rule definitely take a multivitamin to cover all bases as well as a fish oil supplement.
    Protein Supplements are great for post weight training sessions but not all these supplements are the same.
    Don't always look for the most expensive and think that it is going to be the best.But understand that since many of these companies are out to turn a profit,there are many new companies that offer a lot for less money but on closer inspection there products consist of rubbish.
    Always be wary when looking at the constituents of a product and words like "propriety blend"come up.
    Stay with reliable and well known companies in the industry.
    Also be informed on Pre-workout supplements since many of them basically just consist of caffeine and sugar.(this is very common in the so called over the counter energy drinks that come in those sleek cans and have cool names and fluorescent colors!)
    If you perspire a lot during your training you might wanna drink something that replaces the electrolytes you have lost during training.
    Thank you,
    Gareth.