Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Austin, Texas

Likes (received)

Default Austin, Texas

I'm looking to see if there is any updated information on schools in Austin. I've seen the pages posted on winjutsu.com. I was wondering if there were anymore sources.
    ERIC DANIEL WARD

Likes (received)

Use the Dojo Locator at www.genbukan.org
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,
    Tatsujin Photography & Design

Likes (received)

I would be so happy if you guys would open a dojo around Austin.
    ERIC DANIEL WARD

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by 7thSamurai
    I would be so happy if you guys would open a dojo around Austin.
    http://users4.ev1.net/~kagemusha/

http://www.spiritwarriors.com/

Markk Bush
    www.bujinmag.com

Likes (received)

I've actually been to both of those schools. The first one I attended for a while and left after concerns regarding legitimacy and the latter had a lengthy application process and more importantly...was VERY expensive.
    ERIC DANIEL WARD

Likes (received)

Anything worth it is not going to be cheap and easy... no pun.
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,
    Tatsujin Photography & Design

Likes (received)

There is also Round Rock Bujinkan www.roundrockbujinkan.com
    Dale Joseph
    Jinenkan Butoku Dojo

With "Justice and Unity" as our motto, the Jinenkan will continue to emphasize the fundamentals, faithful to the Densho, in pursuit of natural movement which is as unforced as the flow of clouds and water"... - Manaka Unsui Sensei

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by 7thSamurai
    I've actually been to both of those schools. The first one I attended for a while and left after concerns regarding legitimacy and the latter had a lengthy application process and more importantly...was VERY expensive.

what do you call expensive?
    'Saru mo ki kara ochiru.' is a Japanese kotowaza or proverb. 'Even monkeys fall from trees.' or essentially 'Nobody's perfect'

Gary Brewer

Likes (received)

I don't want to say my numbers are totally accurate because it has been a few years (almost 4) since I went through the application process, but at the time (while I was in college) I think the number was something around $130/mo on a one year contract done vie electronic funds transfer. That might not seem like a lot of money, but when I was in college, it was a huge chunk of change. I understand quality is important, which is why I was also concerned with the size of the class (26 on that particular day) v. the number of days I would allowed to attend class. As a comparison, I box at a very well known school here locally for $60/mo with unlimited access during gym hours and I can get 4 hours a day on the weekends for $65 at a local BJJ school. I'd prefer to leave the combat sports behind and go back to the art, but the cost:access ratio doesn't add up. I'd even travel were there to be some consideration for the drive. I'm actually from Houston and grew up not too far from Webster where I see there is a Genbukan dojo.

The above was not meant to be offensive to anyone and I hope it doesn't come off that way. I just want to train but I want my money to be spent getting what I pay for and not paying for what they're going to get.
    ERIC DANIEL WARD