Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Of interest to judoists, perhaps

Likes (received)

Default Of interest to judoists, perhaps

Judo mishap: comatose pupil's parents suing city, et al., for damages

At Fukushima prefecture's Sugagawa Municipal Junior High School Number One while training in the judo section a grade seven girl (15) was knocked unconscious when thrown by a boy pupil. On the 31st she and her parents sued the city and prefecture for neglecting their obligatory care for safety, as well as the boy pupil and his mother for the cost of 63 years of nursing, consolation money, etc., for 230 million yen in restitution money in a Kohriyama branch of the Fukushima district court.

According to their plaint, in October of '03 she stopped to rest while training upon hurting her leg which angered the judo coach whose grade eight boy pupil threw her, her head impacting against the rice-straw mats several times. Due to acute, subdural hemorrhage she has not regained her senses even now. In September of '05 at the Sugagawa prefectural police station, the lecturer, then assistant teacher and deputy advisor, was charged with professional negligence in documents submitted to the Fukushima district public prosecutor's office. This time by way of complaint they claimed Sukagawa city was withholding any comments because it hadn't looked at the petition. [Kouichi FUKUZAWA]

Mainichi newspaper 2006 August 31 19:59 military time zone I (Japan, Australian CST)
    Sean Fogarty

Likes (received)

If the facts in the story are correct, I'd say the parents have a strong case for a damage award from the city. One of the reasons, if I understand right, for Judo to be practiced in junior high schools in Japan is because it's supposed to have less risk for injury. In the biography of Enshin's founder, Joko Niniomiya, he tells how a pupil in his junior high judo class had his nose broken during some careless randori and their judo coach was immediately removed.
    Charles Ainsworth

Likes (received)

Default oh man

The understanding I have of judo was that it was a lot like aikido in the way of defense rather than defense and I think this sounds like someone violating one of the core rules of martial arts not to attack those weaker than you without provocation.

Likes (received)

Compare this story with the court case of some years ago brought by parents that objected to their children being taught Kendo, on religious grounds. As Jehova's Witnesses, they did not want their child to take part in violent activities, but it was a compulsory subject. At the time all schools in Japan had to teach Judo and/or Kendo. As a consequence of the court ruling, the sports became optional. Subsequently the numbers of schools where there is no Judo/Kendo have increased (Japanese young people are a lot less interested in such things than many foreign Budo fans might expect).

Those with better sources, please correct me on any points. Thank you.
    David Noble
    Shorinji Kempo (1983 - 1988)
    I'll think of a proper sig when I get a minute...

For now, I'm just waiting for the smack of the Bo against a hard wooden floor....

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by riceluvr
    The understanding I have of judo was that it was a lot like aikido in the way of defense rather than defense and I think this sounds like someone violating one of the core rules of martial arts not to attack those weaker than you without provocation.
    Please sign all your posts with your real name, in full. You agreed to do this when you became a member of this forum.

Best wishes,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

MarkF Guest

It's of interest of everyone, I think. It is not made clear why the girl stopped to rest, what made the teacher angry nor why the boy threw her.

I've broken bones taking ukemi at around the same age, but I was the last person to know it.

I, for one, would like to know more of the facts of that day, and what, exactly, transpired.

Mark

PS: from what I know about Aikido v. judo, in the latter case, judo players are much more relaxed about giving it their all, gender wasn't a problem when I was their age, and as a boy of twelve or thirteen, in shiai, girls fought the boys.