Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 3rd dan examination video

Likes (received)

Likes (received)

Beautifully flowing

Likes (received)

Very nice, I felt IMHO that you moved very well and with a modest aire of confidence.

Regards

Likes (received)

Hello,

I thought that the weapons parts of the test were rather unrealistic, but perhaps this is because of the structure of the grading test, rather than problems with your own technical skill.

Best wishes,
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Hi,

I particularly like the beautifully executed koshinage.

Kind Regards
    Dave Wellesbury
    Banyu Hatten Aikido Yuishinkai

"Instructors can impart only a fraction of the teaching. It is through your own devoted practice that the mysteries of the Art of Peace are brought to Life" - O Sensei

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by P Goldsbury
    Hello,

I thought that the weapons parts of the test were rather unrealistic, but perhaps this is because of the structure of the grading test, rather than problems with your own technical skill.

Best wishes,
    Personally I'm not in favour of leaving a weapon in the hands of an 'opponent' (after waza) but, as you say, the "structure" or the requirement for continuous action dictates the removal of a weapon breaks this fluidity however; IMHO the demonstration of fluidity is best illustrated in empty-handed randori application and, where a weapon or multiple weapons attack takes place, disarming of one then employment of that weapon against another might be a better demonstration.

That said, I am not criticising the content of video or the ability of the candidate, I thought both were great !

Likes (received)

I particularly enjoyed the little things about you're techniques. The posture and the blending was excellent. It is all of the things that a great exam is.
    Joshua D Stein
    "If you have the right leverage you can lift the world."

Likes (received)

Very nice, and might I add...

Congratulations on your Sandan.

The technique was beautiful. I have studied Aikido and must admit that I was highly impressed. Was the slight pause and slower movement for the testers to see the intricities?
    David Dyer
    4th Dan Black Belt
    Ro-Ken Karate Association

It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge. - Albert Einstein

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Amphinon
    Was the slight pause and slower movement for the testers to see the intricities?
    I too would like to know the answer to that questions.

I understand that every orginazation has different requirements / standards for testing and different teachers want to see different things. However, based on the testing standards that I am used too (USAF-WR / Chiba sensei), that test was just lacking something for a 3rd dan test. Technically, the techniques looked good and crisp. Your posture and movement where very nice and fluid. But for 3rd dan there needs to be much more to it IMO. Where was the intensity, the fire, the 'Martial' aspect.
    Tim Mailloux

Likes (received)

I like to see vids of people, especially those posting on sites like this - helps you know where people are coming from.

I put some of mine 'out there' on google a while back as an experiment. Got some positive comments, and some negative, but in the end I deleted them all as I just started getting too many dumb "But what if ..." questions, mostly from non-Aikidoka types. Ya just can't please everyone.

Likes (received)

Looked good to me.
    Ricky Wood