Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Where are the Wado Exponents

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Yagyuhoo
    Another Wado-lurker here, but from the other side of the pond. (Mosquitoville, USA.) Our organization is little known outside of Yamaguchi Prefecture. Sensei Sakura was a contemporary of Suzuki and Motoyoshi (famous for his sokuto kekome to Sensei Suzuki's knee). In the early 60s Sakura became a priest and asked permission to start his own organization, Bushinkai. One of his students is my teacher, Sensei Nakamura.
    I heard good things about Mr. Sakura. I heard he is one of the few person who received a "Nihon Den Shinto Yoshin-ryu Kenpo Hachidan Menkyo" from Otsuka sensei. Do you learn any Shinto Yoshin-ryu Kenpo techniques at the Bushinkai?
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by john_lord_b3
    the killing strike (ichigeki hisatsu) is usually the one executed last. For example in Kihon Kumite 5, the first few strikes are distraction strikes, but the last shuto/tegatana after we immobilize the Uke is the killing strike.
    Hi Ben, this is the first time I have heard/seen the term "ichigeki hisatsu". I have seen "ikken hissatsu" before.

Currently I am not sure whether "ikken hissatsu" is the ideal concept of facing an opponent and doing just one technique for a straight kill and "ichigeki hisatsu" refers to a technique that finishes an opponent but could be on the back of many attacks.

Maybe someone can provide a clearer explanation for me.

My personal feeling is that Wado Ryu does not fit well with "ikken hissatsu" from a empty handed karate perspective. When facing an opponent, yes we must adopt a mindset that from just one strike they might finish us off, but our response is to defend accordingly so that one strike does not complete its purpose, whilst having an attacking mindset that keeps on attacking until you are in a position to finish the opponent. Attack and defence together.
    Gordon Fong

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by gordonfong
    Hi Ben, this is the first time I have heard/seen the term "ichigeki hisatsu". I have seen "ikken hissatsu" before.
    sorry I was mistaken, your term are the right one, it should be ikken hisatsu.

Currently I am not sure whether "ikken hissatsu" is the ideal concept of facing an opponent and doing just one technique for a straight kill and "ichigeki hisatsu" refers to a technique that finishes an opponent but could be on the back of many attacks.
    From what I know, Ikken Hisatsu concept is like this "in a real fight, anything goes, one technique from us can kill the enemy, and vice versa. So, do not fight, except when it's worth dying for". But YMMV.

When facing an opponent, yes we must adopt a mindset that from just one strike they might finish us off,
    this is what I was talking about

but our response is to defend accordingly so that one strike does not complete its purpose, whilst having an attacking mindset that keeps on attacking until you are in a position to finish the opponent. Attack and defence together.
    True, that's the Wado way.
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

sorry I was mistaken, your term are the right one, it should be ikken hisatsu.
    Ben

from a quick search on Google, both terms do show up: ikken hisatsu and ichigeki hisatsu. Haven't read into them too much to understand if they are the same, similar or different.

We all know not to take what we immediately see as correct just in case they got it wrong as well and we serve to perpetuate it.
    Gordon Fong

Likes (received)

I heard good things about Mr. Sakura. I heard he is one of the few person who received a "Nihon Den Shinto Yoshin-ryu Kenpo Hachidan Menkyo" from Otsuka sensei. Do you learn any Shinto Yoshin-ryu Kenpo techniques at the Bushinkai?
    Yes, Sakura Sensei received a Shinto Yoshin-ryu Kenpo Hachidan but these were more like honorary degrees, like an honorary doctorate. They applied to only things like Kihon Kumite, Tanto Dori and Idori--which of course are already included in the normal Wado syllabus and are inherent in being graded (Sakura was graded to Hachidan by Ohtsuka). No kata or techniques that are purely Shinto Yoshin-ryu Jujutsu are practiced by Bushinka. I don't think Ohtuka Sensei passed on any of the curriculum of Shinto Yoshin-ryu.

That being said, there's no desputing the influence of jujutsu and sword in the karate of Wado. Ohgami Sensei has some good research online: http://www.hogia.net/karate/karate/index.htm

Also, I think Suzuki Sensei received a Shinto Yoshin-ryu license. Rumor has it that he tore it up and threw it in the trash.
    Michael Matthews

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4