Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Where are the Wado Exponents

Likes (received)

Default Fyi Fwiw

Hello

I like Jon Lord also.

Jon Lord played a customized C3.

Its the same generator and same keyboards as the B model but a different cabinet. The C sits in a console or church cabinet. The B cabinet has legs.
    Ed Boyd

Likes (received)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by john_lord_b3
    Hello Alex,

Please send my regards to Mr. Threadgill. We have correspond in the past, and he is a very knowledgeable person.

As for maintaining the traditional Jujutsu waza, well, if not for those Jujutsu theories and techniques, then we won't be Wado-ryu anymore
    Actually, I currently train with Toby as well. Hi (it's Pete)!
    Eric Peter ("Pete") Ramberg

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by gordonfong
    Probably best to start a new thread if you would like to discuss that.

Hopefully this thread is there to show that there are Wado exponents on the forum.
    Hi there, yeah I lurk and even mod in odd places on the net.

Interesting to see Wadowy people pop up from all over.

Hello again Mr Chuck!

Nice Also to see the Takamura Ha input.

One big happy family - aaah if only
    Ken Harding

Likes (received)

Default Unity?

Hello again.

We all know that true unity is really just a dream, I suppose.

The three major factions have developed things their own way, and each has it's own merit. Neither is 'right or wrong', just different.

A few months I attended a course taught by a prominent, JKF allied 7th Dan English Sensei. On the course was a prominent 7th Dan member of the Wado Academy, who just went there to train. The reason he was on the course- he and the instructor have known each other for nearly 35 years.
    During the course they compared notes on the performance and application of technique.
    It was a joy to watch, and any questions I asked were promptly answered.

I remember visiting your club a few times Tim, and I learnt a lot. I enjoyed working with Gary on the recent SKW course. Ken and I both come from the same association. All our Wado is different yes, but maybe it's not the performance of the technique, just the Dove on whatever badge we wear.

There will probably never be unity amongst the three major Wado factions, but that doesn't mean there can never be unity amongst people like ourselves.
    So, as previously mentioned, is anyone interested in a Wado-workshop?
    Yours in Budo
    Graham Chuck

Likes (received)

Default Wado Workshop

Hi Graham,

Also good to train with you the other day.

What do you have in mind for the Wado Workshop?

I would love to dig a bit deeper into the "Atemi" side of Wado (taking into account Katana and Tanto dori etc.) and the correlation with modern Wado Karate techniques.

Bit deep maybe!

Gary Needham

Likes (received)

Hi Gary.

I will post again tomorrow, as it's time to eat now!
    And we can discuss a get together on this forum.

Best wishes
    Graham Chuck
    PS Had a good chat with Wilkinson Shihan today, good to know you all.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Wado
    Hi Graham,

I would love to dig a bit deeper into the "Atemi" side of Wado (taking into account Katana and Tanto dori etc.) and the correlation with modern Wado Karate techniques.

Bit deep maybe!

Gary Needham
    Not deep at all.
    I feel the Atemi side is rather neglected. Some would say as Wado is a 'soft' art there is no Atemi, others would say as Otsuka was a bone setter he had a good knowledge of the human body. Not to mention his mastery of Shindo yoshin ryu Ju jitsu.

I suppose we could get together with Wadoka from the three sides, would we learn a lot or would we just see and practise a lot?
    In effect I would think that having a get together we could share the things that are a speciality of, or are unique to, the respective groups. EG from the academy- Kumite gata, from the JKF- some Tanto dori, from the WIKF- Ohyo gumite.
    Also the one thing that I must confess to having an out and out passion for is Kata Bunkai. Again I'm sure there are different variations in the three factions, and I suppose there would be as the Kata are performed somewhat differently. But between us I'm sure we could compare loads.
    Just a few thoughts guys. If we get it together great. I know that various Goju people have something similiar to this on an annual basis, - so why not one for Wado?
    Your thoughts please
    Graham Chuck

Likes (received)

A sort of United Wado Seminar - open to all exponents regardless of affiliation.

No political aganda, just an invitation to train together and share ...........now that WOULD be something.
    Ken Harding

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Wado
    Hi Graham,

Bit deep maybe!

Gary Needham
    In Mr. Jiro (Otsuka II)'s video, he shows many "unusual" Wado hand strikes, directed at specific pressure points. Such as knuckle strike, open hand strikes, etc.
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by CEB
    Hello

I like Jon Lord also.

Jon Lord played a customized C3.

Its the same generator and same keyboards as the B model but a different cabinet. The C sits in a console or church cabinet. The B cabinet has legs.

(out of topic mode on)

Yup, and he has an RMI Electric piano installed inside the C3. Also a Moog Ring Modulator on top of it, so that he could generate "otherworldly" sounds like he did at the "Burn" and "Space Truckin" solo (at California Jam 1974 concert).

He uses B-3 only on occasions when his C3 are not available, such as when he recorded "Battle Rages On" in mid 90s. He also brings a Hammond XB-2 (mini digital Hammond) on the road, in case the real hammond deserted him in mid-performance.

Glad to meet another Purple Troopers

(out of topic mode off) please forgive me, mr. moderator!
    Ben Haryo (This guy has low IQ and uses a dialect which vaguely resembles Bad English).

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by john_lord_b3
    In Mr. Jiro (Otsuka II)'s video, he shows many "unusual" Wado hand strikes, directed at specific pressure points. Such as knuckle strike, open hand strikes, etc.
    Many of the open hand strikes are there to loosen the opponent for a lock or throw. There are more visibly apparent in the idori and tanto dori.
    Gordon Fong

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ken harding
    A sort of United Wado Seminar - open to all exponents regardless of affiliation.

No political aganda, just an invitation to train together and share ...........now that WOULD be something.
    That's what we want Ken.

Obviously we will need a central location, I know you're in Surrey, as is Gary.
    I'm in deepest Devon. But we have roads down here now, so we can travel up.
    Who is willing to take part? As we all have something to offer we could all have a go at showing something. No politics, no ego's, no seniority. Just some good training, with maybe an isotonic beer or two afterwards.
    (Just to replace fluids lost through training)!
    Graham Chuck

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by gordonfong
    Many of the open hand strikes are there to loosen the opponent for a lock or throw. There are more visibly apparent in the idori and tanto dori.
    Yes, for example the quick strike before going into kinukuguri, kotegaeshi and zudori.

Likes (received)

I believe they can be referred to as hari ate, for distraction and loosening an opponent, as opposed to kari ate which is more of destruction. Well, that's if I remember it correctly.
    Gordon Fong

Likes (received)

the killing strike (ichigeki hisatsu) is usually the one executed last. For example in Kihon Kumite 5, the first few strikes are distraction strikes, but the last shuto/tegatana after we immobilize the Uke is the killing strike.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast