Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Beginner Question: Kageyama Dojo in Toronto

Likes (received)

Default Beginner Question: Kageyama Dojo in Toronto

Hi, this is my first time taking martial arts after a break of 8 years. I used to practise Kiyukishin Karate when i was 10 years old. I know the teacher is a very important aspect in learning Martial arts.

Just wondering if anyone of you has heard of Greg Tremblay who is a 7th dan in Ninjitsu(bujinkan) www.kageyamadojo.com . Is he a good teacher? Also would you recommend Ninjitsu as a good introduction into the martial arts (emphasis on overall learning and growth) as opposed to Yoshinkai Aikido (my other option). I appreciate your feedback. Thanks
    Danial Jameel
    Bujinkan, Kageyama Dojo

Likes (received)

1. Bujinkan is as legit as it can get, so that's okay.

2. We cannot decide if Bujinkan is the right thing for you. Try it and make your own opinion.
    Achim Steigert
    Bujinkan Te-Nage Dōjō
    Bujinkan Budō Taijutsu
    Shodan - translated: beginners grade

Likes (received)

I'm just concerned about the fact that so many bujinkan and genbukan dojos (not sure on the spelling) are starting out these days and finding a good teacher can be difficult. It's going to cost me 200$ per month so i thought i get the point of view and advice from ninjitsu students and teachers here. I definately want to start out with ninjitsu and then move on to Jiujitsu/judo to improve my ground skills. Thanks
    Danial Jameel
    Bujinkan, Kageyama Dojo

Likes (received)

why bother starting something if you want to leave, if you want to improve "ground skills" you don't plan on actually learning all the bujinkan has to offer. from what it sounds like you want a MMA school but like the idea of saying ninjutsu
    Dean Eichler der Zweite
    Bujinkan Keiko Dojo
    Owner www.korisuya.com Ninjutsu tools

Likes (received)

No i'm not interested in MMA or any form of street fighting. I apologize on the fact that i have limited knowledge on ninjitsu which why i am browsing past threads on this forum. I had no idea Bujinkan is way of living as opposed to being a combative art alone. I still maintain that the more martial arts a person knows, the more he improves both his state of mind, body and soul. I guess the best way about this is to go to the dojo for a month and find out if it is for me.
    Danial Jameel
    Bujinkan, Kageyama Dojo

Likes (received)

Also can someone tell me the guidlines or the different aspects of the ninjitsu bujinkan curriculam. Thank you
    Danial Jameel
    Bujinkan, Kageyama Dojo

Likes (received)

there are no guidelines to that in the bujinkan.

as a loose reference you will probably see something called kihon happo often (google this). for a more in detailed look at what is offered in theory in the bujinkan, google tenchijin ryaku no maki. That's sort of an old curriculum guide formulated by Hatsumi a long time ago, but no one seems to follow it.
    Cory Burke
    ゴゴゴ!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by rhue
    Also can someone tell me the guidlines or the different aspects of the ninjitsu bujinkan curriculam. Thank you

Most dojos teach differently, you best bet is to find the local Dojos within your area go along and try lessons at them all. You will them be in a better position to judge what suits you best.

:-)
    'Saru mo ki kara ochiru.' is a Japanese kotowaza or proverb. 'Even monkeys fall from trees.' or essentially 'Nobody's perfect'

Gary Brewer

Likes (received)

To go back to the poster's original question, Kageyama is an old, well established dojo in Toronto. It was originally open in the 80's on Dawes Road out in the east end, and then moved. I guess it must have closed for a while given that they say that this is their ninth anniversary.

I have no current experience with them, but I did train in the 80's - nice people and a good instructor. You should check it out - there appear to be lots of classes to choose from!

Good luck.

Cheers,
    Daniel Auchincloss

Still Learning...

Hemel Hempsted Bujinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Thumbs up

Well I joined 2 weeks ago and my experience so far has been absolutely amazing. The first thing i noted which was different from other martial arts dojo was there was very little emphasis on getting black belts etc. I saw quite a few Karate and Tae kown do (hope the spelling is correct) dojos and the instuctors would tell me how they can gaurrantee a black belt within 3 yrs and if i pay more in 2 yrs with an intensive course lol! Since this was my first experience with martial arts i'm glad i have found out the difference between real and commercial arts (not that i'm saying karate is bad, just the dojos nearby are all about black belts in 2 yr courses).

Everyone was extremely helpful and we all pair up to train. We can train as much as we want during class hours something which i appreciate. I usually train 3 hrs four days a week. I am looking forward to learning my kaitens and katas!
    Danial Jameel
    Bujinkan, Kageyama Dojo

Likes (received)

I was going to say $200 dollars was a bit much, but you seem to be getting your moneys worth. Good luck.
    Michael Kelly

Ironically neither a Niten Ichi practitioner or in fact a ninja.