Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Female Menkyo Kaiden?

Likes (received)

Default Female Menkyo Kaiden?

Okay, I have a fun hypothetical question. I do know that there are some of us non-Japanese folk out there that hold Minkyo Kaiden licenses. It does happen and it is a little bit of a deviation from the Japanese norm. This got me thinking about another deviation:

If you were the head of a style (and maybe you are), would you leave the style to a seemingly well-suited woman? I cannot think of any female heads-of-a-MALE-style (not Naginata).

Before you give the obvious progressive "yes, to be equal" answer, please think about this one. This poor lady will be dealing with some already somewhat violated and conservative Japanese culture. It would be more taxing than holding a public office. Honestly, if I were a teacher in that position, I might possibly say, "no."

This one has been bugging me for a while.
    Eric Peter ("Pete") Ramberg

Likes (received)

Well at least you didn't mispell it with an "A". Oy oy oy!

Usually, the soke of a ryuha grooms the prospective candidates for menkyo kaiden over a number of years. Any weaknesses over the years would have been ironed out by then. Also, you must consider that there will be a cadre of seniors behind that candidate who will give support. It should be considered that some seniors might be appointed to act as a social go-between as well, since that happens with some koryu and not all koryu operate on the same S.O.P.s. They're usually very individualistic in their operation, so needless to say, things are case-by-case or "Kesu bai kesu" if you prefer.

Likes (received)

Exclamation !!!

Whoops! Thanks for catching that spelling error! Boy is my face red! (Minkyo Kaiden=> Menkyo Kaiden).
    Eric Peter ("Pete") Ramberg

Likes (received)

Menkyo Kaiden does not automatically have to mean succession to the head of the school either..So a woman could be given Menkyo and still not be head of the Ryuha..But as Steve says, the rule would be a lack of a rule.
    Regards.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Finny Guest

Tobari Kazu?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Finny
    Tobari Kazu?
    What of the late Mrs. Tobari?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by epramberg
    Whoops! Thanks for catching that spelling error! Boy is my face red! (Minkyo Kaiden=> Menkyo Kaiden).
    Well, like I said in my earlier post, lucky you didn't mispell it with an "A", otherwise your face would have been redder if you had found out what that particular pronounciation sounds like!

*Switching to decaf*

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by epramberg
    Okay, I have a fun hypothetical question. I do know that there are some of us non-Japanese folk out there that hold Minkyo Kaiden licenses.
    As I read it then you have a menkyo kaiden license? Tell us more please.
    Bill Reddock
    Los Angeles IaidoKai

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by wreddock
    As I read it then you have a menkyo kaiden license? Tell us more please.
    No, that wasn't his intention I believe. I think you'll find he was referring to occidentals who have earned menkyo kaiden, of which there are quite a few in different ryuha.