Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mudra, Mikkyo, and Budo

Mark Murray Guest

Default Mudra, Mikkyo, and Budo

Don't know when the article was published, but somehow I missed reading it. Glad Aikido Journal and Brian Kagen decided to highlight it.

The article is Mudra in the Martial Arts by Wayne Muromoto. You can read it here:

http://www.furyu.com/onlinearticles/mudra.html

Interesting how a martial art can have as many elements as it does. If you think about it, you have brutal techniques designed for breaking and killing. You have incapacitation techniques designed for either life or death (really, you joint lock someone which opens the opportunity for either submission or a killing blow). You have various religious aspects. You have esoteric aspects. Armed, unarmed. All of this and more in one neat package. Okay, so maybe not "neat", but you get the idea, I hope.

Out of all of this, what is the heart/spirit of Budo? Is it all of it? Or concentrated on certain parts/aspects?

Likes (received)

Wouldn't the heart of Budo lie in the concept of the Bu, the Martial values, while everything around serve as a way to achieve a Feudal-Militaristic unit?

Example, the Torite as a tool for the warrior to execute his/her authority as Law-Keeper/soldier, while the spiritual teaching to help preserve a caste-like hierarchy within the unit, and/or help condition oneself for better performance on the battlefield.
    -Amir Barak

"You get what you pay for, But I had no intention of living this way" - Adam Duritz

Mark Murray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Inazuma
    Wouldn't the heart of Budo lie in the concept of the Bu, the Martial values, while everything around serve as a way to achieve a Feudal-Militaristic unit?

Example, the Torite as a tool for the warrior to execute his/her authority as Law-Keeper/soldier, while the spiritual teaching to help preserve a caste-like hierarchy within the unit, and/or help condition oneself for better performance on the battlefield.
    Hmmm ... but where are the Feudal-Militaristic units in today's world? Or are you talking about older times and bujutsu rather than budo? Not quite sure I understand.

Thanks,
    Mark

Likes (received)

Default Kokoro

FWIW...my view is that the vehicle of Budo can be used to polish ones heart and to teach the student about him/herself and the world that they live in.

It doesn't have to mean this of course but many people like myself feel that this is the TRUE meaning of Budo and that its not just about mere fighting proficiency. Sadly, much of the real Budo gets lost behind smoke/mirrors and ever increasing superficiality. But true Budo will survive and endure despite this.....