Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Shinbukan Kuroda Ryu-gi (Komagawa kaishin-ryu)

Likes (received)

Arrow Thanks.

As one of Kuroda Sensei's students, I was pretty surprised to see him here in "Baffling Budo" as well. Having read Hyaku's post, I also think he was referring to the other thread, since Kuroda Sensei doesn't do arrow tricks and the like. No need for tricks when you can do what he can do, and you know what he knows. However, since apparently Kuroda Sensei was featured on the same program as the other gentleman, that may be the source of the mixup. Hyaku, if you read this, please reconsider your movement of this thread.

If anyone truly is asking, "Is this real?" let me be the first to say, not only is it real, he has indeed turned it down SEVERAL notches in order for the camera to be able to catch his movements both in kenjutsu and in iaijutsu. "Blindingly fast" is a bit of an understatement really, and his accuracy is impeccable. Some people find his jujutsu unusual, and I suppose in some ways it is, but it is a great compliment to properly learning the techniques of the sword he teaches. Properly learning the jujutsu really teaches you how to apply the sword.

There is no secret to how he got so good. His grandfather and his father began training him in simple things at the age of one, and he has trained every day since then. According to some of our senior students, as he ages, his skills, abilities and speed just continue to develop and become further refined. The only secrets are time and effort, according to Sensei.

Another thing that really surprised me is how well controlled his movements are. This is something that really has to be seen and felt in person. When you place your hands on him and feel the ways in which he is able to move individual muscles and muscle groups independently of one another, it is difficult for Westerners to imagine, such that it is almost beyond belief. However, you are there, and he does it in front of you and teaches you the theories and principles of how it is done. The end result, as Crudelli observed, is that he gives you no warning of what he is about to do. There are no clues given away, and these practices make his movements so fluid and so fast as to seem almost inhuman. I've heard this referred to as his having "alien bug muscles" and it is easy to see how that phrase developed.

His speed is also surprising when you consider that all of his styles are very soft, and really stress the moderation of power. It was difficult for me to begin to learn that the two are totally independent of one another.

Finny, creating an opportunity to train with Kuroda Sensei can indeed be one of the most rewarding things you can do. I searched for quite some years to find a teacher like him, and a learning environment like that fostered in his ryu-gi. I think the operating principle is that (and these are my words not his. I speak only for myself) we take our training VERY seriously. We really try not to take OURSELVES too seriously. It's a good mix. There's very little ego at work, especially from Kuroda Sensei, and a lot of good training.

Chris Brown

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.

--Sir Winston Churchill

Likes (received)

I have moved the thread to Koryu: History & Tradition. If necessary it will be moved again.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Sorry about that guys. Yes, I did think it was another arrow chop movie.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

Default Thank you, Mods.

Gentlemen, the move back to the Koryu Forum is much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Chris Brown

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.

--Sir Winston Churchill

Likes (received)

Default Shinbukan Kuroda Ryu-gi (Komagawa kaishin-ryu)

I'm just wondering if anyone knows where the Shinbukan Kuroda Dojo is located? I did a search here and with google and couldnt find any info.

Thanks in advance
    Chris Ames

Likes (received)

Red face

Sorry. I just realized that this post should have gone into the Koryu Dojo finder section, if a mod can move it there, that'd be great.
    Chris Ames

Likes (received)

Best to contact Shinbukan directly with any questions, as no one is allowed to comment on Shinbukan and therefore no one who actually knows anything can/will answer you on an internet chat board.

Regards,

r e n

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ames
    I'm just wondering if anyone knows where the Shinbukan Kuroda Dojo is located? I did a search here and with google and couldnt find any info.

Thanks in advance
    00.2 seconds Google
    http://www.shinjinkai.org/programs_shinbukan.htm

http://jbull.home.texas.net/biography.html
    David Weider

Likes (received)

Mr.Kuroda,

Thanks for the info, was unaware of that fact.

Mr.Weider,

Thanks for the links. I had actually found those sites, but thought I'd just pose the question here, rather than bothering either of those groups with a personal email. Guess that's what I'll have to do.

Thanks for the info guys.
    Chris Ames

Likes (received)

Geez Dave,

Umm, I don't know how what I said made you so angry. I was actually thanking you.

When I said 'couldn't find any info', I meant that in referance to 'where the dojo is located', not 'couldn't find any info at all.'

Let's chaulk it up to internet miscommunication.

I think you are a little out of line calling me a liar.

I was really thanking you for the info, and understand that things like this can't alway be broadcast on the web. I had found those websites in my google search, but no information regarding how one would get in touch with the dojo.

Well now we know you are a self interested liar who can't be trusted to post a straight question. Good to know. Thanks.
    I don't really know how what I posted wasn't a straight question. I said I was looking for information on

where the Shinbukan Kuroda Dojo is located
    and then said:

I did a search here and with google and couldnt find any info.
    Meaning, I couldn't find info pertaining to where the dojo is located. Don't take things so seriously. I was asking an innocent question. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Chris Ames

Likes (received)

Hi Chris

Don't sweat it, I couldn't find anything wrong with your question or comments.

I imagine the response is probably directed at something else and not you personally.

Cheers

Jason
    Jason Anstey

"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Weider
    First you post this...

Then you post this....

Well now we know you are a self interested liar who can't be trusted to post a straight question. Good to know. Thanks.
    Hello, I am a moderator of E-Budo and should state that it is quite unacceptable to call another member a liar. I think you owe Mr Ames an apology.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Arrow

The region where the Shinbukan Kuroda Hombu Dojo is situated
    is called Saitama-shi (info from various websites)
    Maybe this sites can help you, you might ask there
    http://jbull.home.texas.net/biography.html
    http://www.shinjinkai.org/programs_shinbukan.html
    http://namiryu.com/about/tetsuzanhtml/
    http://shinbukan-europe.over-blog.com/

maybe it is best to ask the linked dojos in europe and america...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2