Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shinbukan Kuroda Ryu-gi (Komagawa kaishin-ryu)

Likes (received)

Smile Shinbukan Kuroda Ryu-gi (Komagawa kaishin-ryu)

Hi everyone.

Just wondered if people who have had experience with Kuroda Tetsuzan and/or the Shinbukan Kuroda Dojo might please share their views.

I ask because I'm hoping to begin training in a martial art soon and one school in which I am planning to look into training (San Antonio School of Kenjutsu) teaches the arts of the Shinbukan Kuroda Dojo.

Any views or insights would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

M. Tom

Likes (received)

http://65.119.177.201/cgi-bin/ubb/ul...c&f=1&t=000201

This thread may put you in touch with some of Kuroda Sensei's students.

http://www.aikidojournal.com/new/art...p?ArticleID=85

This interview is an excellent portrait of the man and how he teaches.

Ron Tisdale

Likes (received)

Default Kuroda Sensei

It is not easy to describe Kuroda Sensei.

You can see him, but he's not there. You can shake his hand and not be sure if you were holding anything. Watching him on video will not show you anything, you must experience it first hand. Aside from his alien abilities, he is simply a really cool guy with an extremely dry sense of humor.

As for the San Antonio School of Kenjutsu, they are a great group of guys and a lot of fun. They will be hosting Kuroda Sensei in May. Here is a link to the seminar announcement if you don't already have it.

http://jbull.home.texas.net/TxSeminar.html
    Regards,

Dave Neeley

Senpokan dojo

Meik Skoss Guest

Kuroda's an interesting guy, and quite nice. He teaches a mixture of arts that were kind of mixed together: Komakawa Kaishin-ryu kenjutsu, Shishin Takuma-ryu jujutsu, Tamiya-ryu iaijutsu, and ... (sorry, I'm drawing a blank -- it's been several years since I saw it demonstrated).

His Tamiya-ryu iaijutsu (it's different from the more widely known line headed by Tsumaki Seirin) has got to be some of the *very* weirdest stuff I've ever seen. Likewise, his kenjutsu seems a little bit odd to me. Laurent Subila, a senior exponent of Shinto Muso-ryu in Switzerland, has trained with Kuroda some, though, and he told me that what seems rather odd technique is only a particular level-cum-training method, that his "real" stuff is really different and very, very good. I trust Laurent's judgement in this, so that's an interesting point to consider.

Based on what I've seen of Kuroda S., his approach/technique is a lot different from that of many other teachers, but high quality. I think training directly with him on a regular basis would be a good thing.

Likes (received)

Post Thanks

Thanks a lot for your replies, everyone.

Mr. Tisdale, thanks for the links.

Mr. Neeley, thanks for the info on Kuroda Sensei and the San Antonio School of Kenjutsu and Kuroda Sensei's upcoming seminar.

Mr. Skoss, thanks for your info on Kuroda Sensei and his ryu-ha. Also, I read the Koryu Primer articles at koryu.com and found them very interesting and informative.

Thanks again all,

M. Tom

Likes (received)

Default FYI

According to the Aikido Journal website, Mr. Kuroda will be doing a demonstration at Stanley Pranin's Aiki Expo in Las Vegas this September.
    Cady Goldfield

Finny Guest

Default Kuroda Tetsuzan clip.

Hi guys - just seeing the clip of Tanaka Fumon from Mind, Body and Kickass Moves, and thought I'd point out another clip from the same series - of Kuroda Tetsuzan Sensei demonstrating Komogawa Kaishin Ryu kenjutsu, Tamiya Ryu iaijutsu and I think some Shishin Takuma Ryu jujutsu.

I had never seen any footage of Kuroda Sensei, although I had heard a lot about him - I've gotta say, I thought this clip was very impressive.

Without further ado:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InlQtTMK5Ys

Likes (received)

Default Mind Body and Chris Crudelli

Brendan,

thanks for this, it was good to see it again. However, I'm sure it can be improved if I can just find a way to edit Chris Crudelli out of it.

Patrick
    Patrick Breheny

A closed mouth gathers no foot

When your enemy is commited to making a mistake... we must not interupt him too soon (Horatio N)

Likes (received)

Default Kuroda Sensei in Person

Brendan,

Thanks for tracking that down. I never get tired of watching him in action.

I can tell you is that to see Kuroda Sensei on film doesn't do him justice. The man is an amazing martial artist and teacher.

When he was here in Texas to teach us a few weeks ago, I had the chance to directly compare that footage to the man in action. It was truly an experience to remember. What I find equally impressive about him, is that despite his skills and abilities, he is a very humble and down to earth person with quite a lively sense of humor. He's a firm and capable teacher, but still allows and even encourages us to have fun while we train. It's a very pleasant combination that makes for a great training environment.

If you ever get the opportunity to see him give a demonstration somewhere, which he does from time to time, do yourself a favor and attend. I assure you it will be time well spent.

Patrick, I agree that Chris Crudelli must go. I know they are trying to attract a certain audience, but his "commentary" voiced over Kuroda Sensei's demonstration is a bit like nails on a chalkboard during Beethoven.

Best Regards,

Chris Brown

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.

--Sir Winston Churchill

Likes (received)

Kuroda's sword skills are very impressive. I saw him demonstrate his iai kata, and I can tell you I've never seen someone so blindingly fast. I was sitting only a few feet from him and I just couldn't follow the blade or his footwork clearly.

His jujutsu, on the other hand, is somewhat strange, to say the least.

Best,
    Arman Partamian

Finny Guest

When he was here in Texas to teach us a few weeks ago, I had the chance to directly compare that footage to the man in action. It was truly an experience to remember. What I find equally impressive about him, is that despite his skills and abilities, he is a very humble and down to earth person with quite a lively sense of humor. He's a firm and capable teacher, but still allows and even encourages us to have fun while we train. It's a very pleasant combination that makes for a great training environment.
    Absolutely - that's IMHO the ideal martial artist - amazingly skillful, but still humble, funny and just a regular bloke happy to enjoy what he loves. It came across in the clip.

Kuroda's sword skills are very impressive. I saw him demonstrate his iai kata, and I can tell you I've never seen someone so blindingly fast.
    This is exactly what I meant by "I had heard a lot about him before I saw this clip" - I had heard from multiple sources that his iai is amazing and ridiculously fast. While the clip didnt show him doing iai blindingly fast, it didn't need to - you can see the sheer ability and ease of what he does... and you can also see that he could likely turn up the pace several notches if he so desired.

If you ever get the opportunity to see him give a demonstration somewhere, which he does from time to time, do yourself a favor and attend. I assure you it will be time well spent.
    I may well do more than take an opportunity - I might just have to create one. As I said - very impressive.

I'm sure it can be improved if I can just find a way to edit Chris Crudelli out of it.
    Agreed.

Hmmmm - for some reason it wants 'more than ten characters....' hopefully that'll do...

Likes (received)

I don't moderate the koryu section but it was double posted here. Regardless off the arrows the unko zawari tameshigiri gets my vote to be considered questionable. Most ryu techniques demand you stick the koshi in, not do a toilet squat!

Any further reliable info would be welcome to give good reason why this should not be questionable.

Just because the guy is Japanese does not make him an expert. I am sure if a few people began to realize that he would sell less books
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

If I never hear Chris Crudelli again it'll be a million years too soon... A kiai is basically the same as chi...
    Michael Kelly

Ironically neither a Niten Ichi practitioner or in fact a ninja.

Likes (received)

Default The Real Deal

Mr. Collins:

I had the real honor of training with him at an Aiki Expo. His swordsmanship and his family style jujutsu are amazing. The only thing baffling about him is how he got so damn good! As other people noted, he is humble, and open to teaching anybody who is interested. If you want a more authoritative source on how good he is, e-mail James Williams from Bugei Trading Company.

marc abrams
    Dr. Marc Abrams
    www.aasbk.com

Finny Guest

I'm pretty sure that Mr. Hyakutake thought I had posted the Tanaka Fumon clip again, and that's why he moved it.

I've sent him a PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast