Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Frequently Asked STUPID questions at your Dojo

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cufaol View Post

One of the techniques he teached was delivering a low-kick to the opponents front leg when the opponent punched. So far so good.

Minor detail though: he expected you to fall down when you recieved the low-kick. Now I don't know about you guys, but one low-kick is not going to get someone on his/her knees. In some cases it might. But it's not a given. Anyway, I did the technique with a partner, without the falling down part. The Sensei saw this and came to me saying:
    Only way I can figure you falling down is if you were really forebalanced. I've DONE that to someone, but they were trying to chase me at the time, and so their center of gravity was way forward of their body. They also had all of their weight on the leg I kicked, so their knee was really vulnerable. Maybe that was the way he thought you were supposed to punch?
    Trevor Johnson

Low kicks and low puns a specialty.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cufaol View Post
    Minor detail though: he expected you to fall down when you recieved the low-kick. Now I don't know about you guys, but one low-kick is not going to get someone on his/her knees. In some cases it might. But it's not a given. Anyway, I did the technique with a partner, without the falling down part. The Sensei saw this and came to me saying:
    ...[SNIP]
    So he kicked and I blocked. After his 3rd attempt to get me down he told me to keep training and walked away.

Honestly, strangest encounter of my life as a martial artist...

greetings,
    Perhaps it was supposed to be a reap? Or a sweep? Maybe a few details left out?

Johnathan Pierson

Likes (received)

Default New prospect

Two prospects one male, one female (out on a day pass from the local funny farm) who had been recommended to me from a dojo up the road, (first clue).

Female Prospect "How many kinds of board breaking techniques do you have?"
    Reply "I don't have any, as this style uses nerve points"
    Male Prospect "Well how are you going to get out, when someone locks you in a closet?"
    Reply "Is it a steel or wooden closet?"

A few moments later the female tried to put a headlock on, duh and found herself flying down the dojo and her friend taking a little sleep (the convulsions were unexpected).

I recommended they go check out another dojo (the same one they had just come from.

I heard later from the instructor that they actually went back again the same day.

Sum Dum Guy

AKA Stewart Ogg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3