Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Enbu in November/December?

Likes (received)

Default Enbu in November/December?

Hello everyone,

At the beginning of November I will be going on a lengthy holiday to Japan to visit some friends, see the sights, and generally do the touristy thing. While I am there I would be very interested in seeing any koryu enbu/demonstrations. First on my list is to see the large enbu at Meiji Jingu on November 3 (I insisted to my travel agent that I be there before that day) but after that I have no idea what else might be happening.

(I understand from the search archives that the Meiji Jingu enbu begins at 10:00 or 11:00am? Can anybody confirm this? The English language website does not specify and my Kanji skills are certainly not up to reading a webpage in Japanese)

I will be starting my holiday in Tokyo Nov 2-10, then Kyoto for a week or so (17th). After that I will be exploring the cities in the Osaka area for a couple weeks which brings us into December. From there I plan to head to Kyushu, with a short stopover in Hiroshima to see the bomb museums, among other things. I fly back home on December 12. Before that my dates are not set in stone and I can make side trips as needed.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Even suggestions that have nothing to do with enbu. I would also love to hear about good places or attractions that aren't in the tourist books if you have any.

Thanks muchly,
    James Lyall

Likes (received)

Hello,

The enbu at Meiji Shrine begins around 10am from memory. There are always a lot of people watching, so it's best to arrive somewhat early to ensure you get somewhere to sit.

I think the kobudo enbu at Itsukushima Shrine in Hiroshima-ken is on the 26th of November as well.
    Daniel Lee

Likes (received)

Thanks. I hadn't heard about the one in Hiroshima. I'll make a note of it!
    James Lyall

Likes (received)

There's a Kamakura Kobudo Enbu Taikai in Tsurugaoka Hachimangu (Kamakura) on the 4th of November starting from 9 a.m. The enbu is probably held at the dojo (see map below. If I did it right the cross should be at the dojo).

http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?lat=35%2F1...x=521&CE.y=380

There will be at least quite a few iai schools represented there and last time I was there (2003) also Yagyu Shinganryu Taijutsu had a demonstration there. Not sure about this year though.

Kamakura is worth seeing anyways
    -Mikko Vilenius

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Lee
    Hello,

The enbu at Meiji Shrine begins around 10am from memory. There are always a lot of people watching, so it's best to arrive somewhat early to ensure you get somewhere to sit.

I think the kobudo enbu at Itsukushima Shrine in Hiroshima-ken is on the 26th of November as well.
    Ah good to know. If my informations are right the TSKSR Group of Sugino Sensei will demonstrate in the afternoon. And of course, the Otake Sensei Group will perform too.

yiyall: webpage? Can i have the url please?

Enbu in Kamakura? Hm...interesting.
    Michael Reinhardt