Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Was Stonehenge built this way?

Likes (received)

Default Was Stonehenge built this way?

Well according to this guy, Stonehenge was a simple job. All it took was planks, counterweights and small ammount of effort. But what do you lot think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDzFROMx0&eurl=

There is website, but it seems down at the moment.

http://www.theforgottentechnology.com/

So as we have a few brainboxes on here, I was wondering if this is just some gimmick.

Likes (received)

That's one clever dude. I'm impressed.
    Cheers,

Mike
    No-Kan-Do

Likes (received)

didn't they already figure out that the druids had the welsh bring the stones all the way over by placing them on logs and removing the last log and putting it in the front position to create a mobile road? basically it's the same idea for the stone rotation just a different material for the pivoting
    Dean Eichler der Zweite
    Bujinkan Keiko Dojo
    Owner www.korisuya.com Ninjutsu tools

Likes (received)

The only thing that I can not see is how he got the large block of concrete off of the floor. But apart from that, it looks impressive.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by william northcote
    The only thing that I can not see is how he got the large block of concrete off of the floor. But apart from that, it looks impressive.
    Using a long lever, one could easily lift one side of the block just enough to get a small fulcrum/pivot stone under it, and then using the rocking technique could move to progressively larger stones.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

I agree with Dean, the problem as to how they did it was resolved ages ago. They know the quarry the rocks came from, how they were transported, and then erected.

Clever video though. Clearly got time on his hands.

BTW, I passed through Glastonbury and Stonehenge at the weekend. Very mystical I must say.
    Trevor Gilbert
    ("If I had to select one quality, one personal characteristic that I regard as being most highly correlated with success, whatever the field, I would pick the trait of persistence. Determination. The will to endure to the end, to get knocked down seventy times and get up off the floor saying "Here goes number seventy-one" - Richard M. DeVos)

Likes (received)

Stonehenge I always find a bit dull, but then a dirty great main road does that, Avebury is much more fun to wander around, and, if you head up the road to see Wayland at his Smithy up on the ridgeway thats quite cool too...
    Jim Boone

Flick Lives!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by yoj
    Stonehenge I always find a bit dull, but then a dirty great main road does that, Avebury is much more fun to wander around, and, if you head up the road to see Wayland at his Smithy up on the ridgeway thats quite cool too...
    Yes, agreed. I passed Avebury as well but didnt have time to call in after doing Glastonbury high street. Whoooa, all those magic shops. It was like being in a Harry Potter movie.
    Trevor Gilbert
    ("If I had to select one quality, one personal characteristic that I regard as being most highly correlated with success, whatever the field, I would pick the trait of persistence. Determination. The will to endure to the end, to get knocked down seventy times and get up off the floor saying "Here goes number seventy-one" - Richard M. DeVos)

Likes (received)

Default well

I would have thought he would probably poured the concrete with the thought of getting it off the ground first.He didnt say he was going to put blocks on top though.You asked what was special?I beleive his only point was it could have been done with less people.I'm no scientist though
    Adam Madore

Likes (received)

People are always giving our ancestors the short shrift when it comes to mechanical ingenuity - these people were just as smart as we were and had time to work on things. Part of the problem has been that typically none of the liberal arts types writing all these papers about how the ancient world did things never bothered to consult an engineer on how they would solve the problem.
    Harvey Moul

Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin

Likes (received)

Therre was a TV show on the BBC years ago where they recreated ancient things like Trebuchets [sp]. Thing is, all these historians and scientist argued over everything. They managed it, but think of how we would be if scientist and historians obtained government power......

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by william northcote
    ...think of how we would be if scientist and historians obtained government power......
    Probably better off than now, where most people in power are lawyers, poli-sci majors, and political appointees getting appointments in exchange for large cash contributions.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

But you will have scierntists saying that this road built will speed up the flow of traffic, while the historians will worry about the 18th century mock facade on a council house that happens to be somewhat hearby. It will be like politics in one party.

Likes (received)

Just put me in charge.....
    Harvey Moul

Fish and visitors stink after three days - Ben Franklin

Likes (received)

This is what Wikipedia have to say (mentioning Wally Wallington's clever efforts)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonehenge
    Trevor Gilbert

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast