Here's a little background first: I work as a security officer in a hospital that treats Psychological and addiction problems in people from as young as 5 on up to elderly adults. We at times have patients both adolescents and adults who can be very aggressive and dangerous, or just dangerous to themselves. At points the staff are required to put hands on and restrain someone. The old system we used was called Management Of Aggressive Behavior (MOAB). Not great but it worked ok you pinned the person to the floor using essentially what’s almost an Ikkyu principal with arm bar technique and you place your knee right up to the juncture of their arm and arm pit to limit movement. Now however we have officially switched over to the Mandt system. Mandt prohibits the use of prone restraints and uses a vertical restraint. Now I wouldn't object but the vertical restraint used is actually called a side body hug. You come up beside the person at 45 deg. behind them. Put your pelvis against there hip and reach around them pinning the arm near you to there body but leaving the other arm free. Now a second person is supposed to do about the same thing on the other side. To me this just seems dangerous and like your putting staff in unnecessary risk. Our training instructors kept saying that a person can't get out of the hold, however when I and another large staff member put him in it all he did to fight it was lightly jump up and down, when we didn't but his "resisting" and he actually resisted harder not only did he get out but elbowed me in the temple in the process. Has anyone here had experience with this system, if so what’s your take on it? They say that it's taught to law enforcement and correctional officers but I have a hard time picturing either using this.