Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Genbukan Togakure ryu seminar

Likes (received)

Default Genbukan Togakure ryu seminar

Hi folks,
    I noticed that this had been posted on the Genbukan forum but was removed, I did however manage to check out the link prior to its removal.

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/eve/216414908.html

I did not think that Tanemura Sensei had taught this ryu to anyone yet (not this in depth anyway).

Did anyone attend?
    If so how was it and did it differ much to what Hatsumi Sensei and Manaka Sensei show on their videos?

Thank you
    Andrew Timms

Likes (received)

As posted on the Genbukan site by Stevens Sensei:

Thread: Togakure Ryu Seminar (open)
    There is no such seminar and this information is incorrect, and not authorized by my dojo.
    Ryan Buckley

Likes (received)

Is Mr. Steven aware someone in promoting his dojo AND this seminar on MySpace as well?

http://www.myspace.com/kageshindojo
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,
    Tatsujin Photography & Design

Likes (received)

Default I have a mind like a steel sieve

Rob Stevens...a name I haven't heard in a while. At one point he was a Jinenkan dan-rank holder, but I don't remember him getting to sandan or dojo-cho (despite wanting it in the worst way). I also remember taking a Togakure-ryu biken seminar with him taught by Manaka Sensei, so maybe that's where the stuff comes from. If I remember correctly, prior to his Jinenkan involvement, Rob was in the Genbukan but also part of the Mike McGee crowd.
    Eric Baluja

Fukai kiri teme mo motenai kaku reru daizan.

Likes (received)

Well I would like to mention that I did not post this to discredit anyone, I wanted to know how the seminar went, however it seems a little strange that the seminar seems to be posted on the link that I supplied as well as the myspace one that Jason put in his last post. It mentions the seminar there as well.
    "FALL SEMINAR OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!!! Oct 27, 28, and 29. We will be teaching Togakure Ryu Ninpo Kihon, Densho, and Bikenjutsu. Contact us or visit our website for further details."

If this guy was in the Jinenkan and trained in Togakure ryu (you can just get the videos from the Jinenkan site as well) then it seems a little fishy to me that someone just posted details on two websites about the seminar. I mean that myspace one is like a mini website for the dojo itself.
    Could it be that this man is teaching ryu-ha that he has not studied with Tanemura sensei under the Genbukan banner?
    I thought that the Genbuakan structure was that you can only teach what you have been taught from the system, if this guy is 3rd dan then I doubt he would have trained in Togakure ryu, I may be wrong though.

Did anyone attend?
    If so who was running the seminar?

Thanks
    Andrew Timms

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hurtzdontit
    Well I would like to mention that I did not post this to discredit anyone,
    If this guy was in the Jinenkan and trained in Togakure ryu (you can just get the videos from the Jinenkan site as well) then it seems a little fishy to me that someone just posted details on two websites about the seminar. I mean that myspace one is like a mini website for the dojo itself.
    Could it be that this man is teaching ryu-ha that he has not studied with Tanemura sensei under the Genbukan banner?

I thought that the Genbuakan structure was that you can only teach what you have been taught from the system, if this guy is 3rd dan then I doubt he would have trained in Togakure ryu, I may be wrong though.

Thanks
    Is it boring in your own backyard? I'm trying to figure out why this should concern you...

Anyway Senpai Stevens can be reached here: rsbudokan@msn.com

He has also addressed this on the Genbukan Honbu site.

Again, take it up with him, see what he says, ... (If it interests you so...)
    Richard Ray Dojo-Cho
    Rick Ray's Warrior Arts Academy
    Bujinkan Makoto Dojo
    Cleveland Ninpo/Ninjutsu
    Makoto Dojo's Youtube Channel

Likes (received)

Well Richard,
    It just seems a little strange dont you think!
    And yes it is boring in my own backyard

Also my initial concern is that if people attend these sort of seminars may think that they are getting "gold" when it may just be "fools gold". I attended a dojo which was an offshoot from the Bujinkan and the teacher was basically teaching straight from Manaka Sensei's ryu-ha videos and claiming that he was taught these techniques, when he never had formal training in them. So when I see these kinds of seminars advertised then I get suspicious as I know what its like to be sucked in.

Now I'm not saying that the dojo-cho in question is one of these people but I'm interested to find out more, I have not attacked anyone and therefore do not feel like I am doing anything wrong by asking questions.

If people want to run around with Shuko on then thats fine but if someone is teaching skills that are not under their own organisation then that should be looked at.

The easy solution is that if someone posts who attended this seminar with confirmation that it occured, then that would solve the issue. Until then its all up in the air.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Last edited by Hurtzdontit; 31st October 2006 at 00:59.
    Andrew Timms

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hurtzdontit
    The easy solution is that if someone posts who attended this seminar with confirmation that it occured, then that would solve the issue. Until then its all up in the air.

Just my 2 cents worth.

It would indeed be strange for a Genbukan teacher especially a san dan to be teaching such a seminar, true. However, Mr. Stevens said it didn't happen.

An easy solution for me is that Mr. Stevens said it didn't happen. Now, is he lying? Maybe... But I don't "assume" he is lying, I "assume" he is telling the truth. If it turns out he is lying, then that is bad, but I believe him until he gives me a reason not to. <shrug...>
    Richard Ray Dojo-Cho
    Rick Ray's Warrior Arts Academy
    Bujinkan Makoto Dojo
    Cleveland Ninpo/Ninjutsu
    Makoto Dojo's Youtube Channel

Likes (received)

I beleived this matter has been resolved on the Genbukan Honbu discussion board.

As Ray Senpai stated, if you have further issue, pleace contact that Dojo-cho directly.

There is no further reason to be speculative as to Senpai Steven's word or credibilty.
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,

Likes (received)

Thanks Richard for your input, I guess thats the best way to be about it.

Thanks Jason for your 2 cents worth, damn you must spend alot of time on this forum being the diligent moderator that you are

Enjoy
    Andrew Timms

Likes (received)

Hardy Har Har....
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,

Likes (received)

Jason,
    Glad you can see the "funny" side of my comment.

Keep on truckin.
    Andrew Timms

Likes (received)

Of course...
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,