Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Iriomote Cat in the News

Likes (received)

Default Iriomote Cat in the News

When most folk think of the Ryukyu Islands, they think only of Okinawa. Iriomote-jima is a the second largest island in Ryukyu Archipeligo aka Okinawa prefecture, with Okinawa being the largest. As this is the Ryukyu Culture and Traditions forum, here is an interesting news story about Iriomte. Enjoy!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...102800427.html
    Doug Daulton

Mekugi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Daulton
    When most folk think of the Ryukyu Islands, they think only of Okinawa. Iriomote-jima is a the second largest island in Ryukyu Archipeligo aka Okinawa prefecture, with Okinawa being the largest. As this is the Ryukyu Culture and Traditions forum, here is an interesting news story about Iriomte. Enjoy!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...102800427.html
    I've been to that Island, it is gorgeous. It has one of the most unique mangrove forests I have ever seen, plus plenty of cattle land. The cats there (Yamaneko) have their own museum and "educational center" which is really worth a visit. Anyone going to Okinawa should think about Iriomote as it is much better than Okinawa Honto (the big Island) for getting away.

Likes (received)

Default Ishigaki - Taketomi Trip

I just got back from a trip to Ishigaki with my family. My mother and sister came over from the states and we loaded up the kids and headed out for 5 days and 4 nights. Prices were pretty good and everyone was friendly. We made a day trip to Taketomi where the population is just around 300 people on the whole island. It was very nice. I noticed a couple of T-Shirts at the ferry landing dock. On had a pictographic writing system that was indegenous to the island and the other had a martial art portrayed on it which I presume was also from the island. The shirt depicted some sort of technique similar to an Aikido Ikkyo defense against a head strike. The garb was traditional clothing similar to what you would see in an eisa group.
    Yours in budo.

Mekugi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TimJurgens
    I just got back from a trip to Ishigaki with my family. My mother and sister came over from the states and we loaded up the kids and headed out for 5 days and 4 nights. Prices were pretty good and everyone was friendly. We made a day trip to Taketomi where the population is just around 300 people on the whole island. It was very nice. I noticed a couple of T-Shirts at the ferry landing dock. On had a pictographic writing system that was indegenous to the island and the other had a martial art portrayed on it which I presume was also from the island. The shirt depicted some sort of technique similar to an Aikido Ikkyo defense against a head strike. The garb was traditional clothing similar to what you would see in an eisa group.
    Awesome Tim!
    Taketomi Jima is an awesome island. I have never seen any budo there other than a dance that was done at their festival in November. That does not mean there isn't any, I have just never seen it. Did you hit the beaches? Those are some of the most pristine in the area. I spent hours out there spearfishing and swimming, enough to make my back look like a red lobster while my front was bright white. Did you take the only paved road that loops the island, and visit the shrine in the small jungle? Ahh...the memories.

Likes (received)

Default The visit was just a couple of weeks ago

So there was no swimming. I did see the shirne. We had some curry in a shop not far from there. The proprietors have retired to Taketomi from I think it was Osaka.
    Yours in budo.

Mekugi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TimJurgens
    So there was no swimming. I did see the shirne. We had some curry in a shop not far from there. The proprietors have retired to Taketomi from I think it was Osaka.
    Was it the icecream shop one with the big front/side yard?