Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a student/training partner in or around Victoria, BC, Canada

Likes (received)

Default Looking for a student/training partner in or around Victoria, BC, Canada

Please pass this along to anyone who you think might be interested:

I am looking for a student/training partner who lives in or around Victoria, BC, Canada.

Here is a link to my school's website and a brief bio:

http://www.okinawakaratedo.com/OKD/Victoria_Dojo.htm

Here are the minimum requirements:

1) The person must be an adult, i.e. at least 19 years of age
    2) The person must be interested in training in Shinijinbukan Shorin Ryu and Okinawan Ti

Essentially, this is how I view things:

If you want to learn the karate I do really well, then move to Okinawa and ask to become a student of Onaga Sensei. If you want to learn the karate that I do, without having to move out of Victoria, then I'm your man

I am not an expert in Okinawan Ti or Shorin Ryu. I know what I know and I train hard most days that I train. I will share whatever I know with you over time.

The school that I train with does not try to use martial arts to make someone a better person. "Karate doesn't make good people. Good people make good karate". This is something my teacher relayed to me that I really feel is true. If you are a decent person, polite and open to learning, we will likely get along just fine.

Finally, if you would rather "talk about training" then train then I am not the person to contact.

Cost - The training is free. Why?
    If you pay me then I feel like I owe you good value for your dollar and it becomes about the money, not the training. If you come to learn, then we train together out of mutual agreement. I teach because you want to learn, not because I owe you anything. You train because you want to learn, not because you want your money's worth.

If interested, please email me at - Tim@shinjinbukan.net

Best regards,
    Tim
    Tim Black
    Kokusai Shinjinbukan

Likes (received)

Default Re. Looking for a student/training partner in or around Victoria, BC, Canada

Hi Tim,

Matt Loiselle here. We met in August 2005 when my instructor, Jon Hallberg, and I came to Issaquah while Onaga Sensei was there.

I hope everything's going well with you.

I posted a similar message looking for a partner/student a while back and haven't found anyone yet. I've also posted on craigslist.org and my local newspaper's web site as well, all with no hits so far. It's a bit discouraging.

Anyway, I wanted to ask if you intend to have your training partner/student sign a waiver of some sort. I plan to, even if no money will be involved.

I don't suppose there's any chance that you'll be moving to the Detroit, Michigan area in the near future, is there?
    Matt Loiselle

Likes (received)

Default Good luck

Good luck in your quest Tim, but I fear that in this day and age it may be hard to attract the type of student you're looking for.

Have you thought about teaching a GENERAL karate class at a community centre or even at the U of Vic (where very little money would change hands)? The the vast majority of students will move on or quit, but in that crowd, you may find that one student

Just a thought.

All the best,
    Mario McKenna
    Vancouver, BC
    Kowakan Karatedo

Likes (received)

There used to be two karate-ka from Victoria on this list but I may be the only one now.

I'm well affiliated with both the Dai Nihon Butoku Kai so I'm not looking to connect elsewhere.

I've also just begun to feel gains in my studies and practice of Chen Zhonghua's Chen Style Taijiquan Practical Method so I'm also not interested in taking on a new form of karate either, sorry.

It seems to me to be a little fruitless to be hunting students on an international forum...I know the University has a number of types of karate so I undertand the pressure of your competition.

Sorry I have nothing to offer,
    "Fear, not compassion, restrains the wicked."

Likes (received)

I tip my hat to you Tim very unselfish and generous invitation.
    Chris McLean
    Martial Arts student

Likes (received)

Default Thanks Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ratplant
    Hi Tim,

Matt Loiselle here. We met in August 2005 when my instructor, Jon Hallberg, and I came to Issaquah while Onaga Sensei was there.

I hope everything's going well with you.

I posted a similar message looking for a partner/student a while back and haven't found anyone yet. I've also posted on craigslist.org and my local newspaper's web site as well, all with no hits so far. It's a bit discouraging.

Anyway, I wanted to ask if you intend to have your training partner/student sign a waiver of some sort. I plan to, even if no money will be involved.

I don't suppose there's any chance that you'll be moving to the Detroit, Michigan area in the near future, is there?
    Hi Matt:

Sorry, no chance of a move east Thanks for the message. It was great having you both out here to train with Onaga sensei.

Please give my best to Jon.

Warm regards,
    Tim
    Last edited by Timothy.G.B.; 22nd November 2006 at 00:42. Reason: Name spelling - John to Jon
    Tim Black
    Kokusai Shinjinbukan

Likes (received)

Default Thanks Mario

Quote Originally Posted by Sanseru
    Good luck in your quest Tim, but I fear that in this day and age it may be hard to attract the type of student you're looking for.

Have you thought about teaching a GENERAL karate class at a community centre or even at the U of Vic (where very little money would change hands)? The the vast majority of students will move on or quit, but in that crowd, you may find that one student

Just a thought.

All the best,
    Hi Mario:

Thanks for your message. It really is a shot in the dark and I am aware of that. I ran club at UVic for a year, but couldn't stustain it, hence I started training from home. On the upside, it doesn't cost anything to post and I get messages from good folks like you

I hope everything is going well for you at the Kits Dojo.

Best,
    Tim
    Tim Black
    Kokusai Shinjinbukan

Likes (received)

Default Thanks Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Sochin
    There used to be two karate-ka from Victoria on this list but I may be the only one now.

I'm well affiliated with both the Dai Nihon Butoku Kai so I'm not looking to connect elsewhere.

I've also just begun to feel gains in my studies and practice of Chen Zhonghua's Chen Style Taijiquan Practical Method so I'm also not interested in taking on a new form of karate either, sorry.

It seems to me to be a little fruitless to be hunting students on an international forum...I know the University has a number of types of karate so I undertand the pressure of your competition.

Sorry I have nothing to offer,
    Hi Ted:

Thanks anyways.

Best,
    Tim
    Tim Black
    Kokusai Shinjinbukan

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McLean
    I tip my hat to you Tim very unselfish and generous invitation.
    Hi Chris:

I appreciate the thoughts.

Best,
    Tim
    Tim Black
    Kokusai Shinjinbukan

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy.G.B.
    Please pass this along to anyone who you think might be interested:

I am looking for a student/training partner who lives in or around Victoria, BC, Canada.

Here is a link to my school's website and a brief bio:

http://www.okinawakaratedo.com/OKD/Victoria_Dojo.htm

Here are the minimum requirements:

1) The person must be an adult, i.e. at least 19 years of age
    2) The person must be interested in training in Shinijinbukan Shorin Ryu and Okinawan Ti

Essentially, this is how I view things:

If you want to learn the karate I do really well, then move to Okinawa and ask to become a student of Onaga Sensei. If you want to learn the karate that I do, without having to move out of Victoria, then I'm your man

I am not an expert in Okinawan Ti or Shorin Ryu. I know what I know and I train hard most days that I train. I will share whatever I know with you over time.

The school that I train with does not try to use martial arts to make someone a better person. "Karate doesn't make good people. Good people make good karate". This is something my teacher relayed to me that I really feel is true. If you are a decent person, polite and open to learning, we will likely get along just fine.

Finally, if you would rather "talk about training" then train then I am not the person to contact.

Cost - The training is free. Why?
    If you pay me then I feel like I owe you good value for your dollar and it becomes about the money, not the training. If you come to learn, then we train together out of mutual agreement. I teach because you want to learn, not because I owe you anything. You train because you want to learn, not because you want your money's worth.

If interested, please email me at - Tim@shinjinbukan.net

Best regards,
    Tim

Tim:

I am on the mainland, in the valley, I have a slight relationship with a older gentleman from Japan that studied Ti, his name is Ito. I teach Isshin ryu, and Ryu Kyu Kobudo. Every once in a while we bring Ito here to do some training in Ti. If you would be interested you would be more than welcome to join us.

Are you connected with Daniel Cogan?

Mike
    Old Dragon

Likes (received)

Default Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dragon
    Tim:

I am on the mainland, in the valley, I have a slight relationship with a older gentleman from Japan that studied Ti, his name is Ito. I teach Isshin ryu, and Ryu Kyu Kobudo. Every once in a while we bring Ito here to do some training in Ti. If you would be interested you would be more than welcome to join us.

Are you connected with Daniel Cogan?

Mike
    Hi Mike:

Thanks for the invite. Yes, Kogan sensei is my teacher in Issaquah, WA. In fact, I think the gentleman you speak of may have visited the Issaquah dojo last year.

Best regards,
    Tim
    Tim Black
    Kokusai Shinjinbukan

Likes (received)

Hi Mike:

Thanks for the invite. Yes, Kogan sensei is my teacher in Issaquah, WA. In fact, I think the gentleman you speak of may have visited the Issaquah dojo last year.

Best regards,
    Tim

Yes he did.....

Probably one of my students was with him. I beleive Sean brought him.

Mike
    Old Dragon

Likes (received)

Hi Mike:

Best regards,
    Tim
    Is his name Hiroo Ito? Just curious, he visted my dojo a while back...If its the same guy, I would be interested to hear your opinion on his 'ti'...
    John R. Stebbins
    Seattle Kobukan
    Matsumura Kenpo
    seakobukan@matsumurakenpo.org
    http://www.matsumurakenpo.org

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb
    Is his name Hiroo Ito? Just curious, he visted my dojo a while back...If its the same guy, I would be interested to hear your opinion on his 'ti'...

I find what he has to say fairly interesting. It is different that what Mr. Kogan has to say, I realize this. He also brought a friend from Japan over last year and he demonstrated the same thing.

What he teaches is not the norm here in north america. I will tell you this, a few years ago a group of us were discussing the hip movement in Nihanchi kata. I had heard several descriptions of the movement but Mr. Ito's made the most sense and was closest to the lineage that I had been taught. If he was at your dojo then you probably got the "punch me" demo..... he's a small guy, did you have anyone who was able to move him? I didnt and I put him up against a man named Jon Crain out of washingtoon... Jon tosses a caber for fun... he is over 6' and over 200lb.... Ito is maybe 160 and 5'8"....

Another thing that interested me about ito is that he will not accept any money from anyone. In fact if you offer to pay his expenses he gets offended.

He has no school, only a few private students and simply enjoys teaching to those that are willing to listen. He cannot provide history of his style past the fact that he was taught by his neighbour in Japan,,, an okinawan.. who used the phrase Ti. He has no history on his teacher. He began training as a boy and continued as a young man until he left Japan.

his focus is on posture and the use of stance and balance to generate power and stability.

What was your opinion?

Mike
    Old Dragon

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dragon
    I find what he has to say fairly interesting. It is different that what Mr. Kogan has to say, I realize this. He also brought a friend from Japan over last year and he demonstrated the same thing.

What he teaches is not the norm here in north america. I will tell you this, a few years ago a group of us were discussing the hip movement in Nihanchi kata. I had heard several descriptions of the movement but Mr. Ito's made the most sense and was closest to the lineage that I had been taught. If he was at your dojo then you probably got the "punch me" demo..... he's a small guy, did you have anyone who was able to move him? I didnt and I put him up against a man named Jon Crain out of washingtoon... Jon tosses a caber for fun... he is over 6' and over 200lb.... Ito is maybe 160 and 5'8"....

Another thing that interested me about ito is that he will not accept any money from anyone. In fact if you offer to pay his expenses he gets offended.

He has no school, only a few private students and simply enjoys teaching to those that are willing to listen. He cannot provide history of his style past the fact that he was taught by his neighbour in Japan,,, an okinawan.. who used the phrase Ti. He has no history on his teacher. He began training as a boy and continued as a young man until he left Japan.

his focus is on posture and the use of stance and balance to generate power and stability.

What was your opinion?

Mike
    Ok, since I asked I feel that I should respond in kind. I just want to say that I was not baiting, I just wondered if it was the same person.

I was not impressed by him. Yes we got the 'punch me' demo and he moved...quite easily. Personally, I found that he had limited knowledge and a very large ego to go with it. Perhaps I am not knowledgable enough to know what I was watching, but I do know that he is not welcomed back in my dojo. I have had other opportunities to see him in action and nothing I saw changed my opinion.

In all fairness, there are people who I respect that do like him...so that says something. He just was not my kind of karateka...

j
    John R. Stebbins
    Seattle Kobukan
    Matsumura Kenpo
    seakobukan@matsumurakenpo.org
    http://www.matsumurakenpo.org

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast