Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Looking for a student/training partner in or around Victoria, BC, Canada

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb
    Ok, since I asked I feel that I should respond in kind. I just want to say that I was not baiting, I just wondered if it was the same person.

I was not impressed by him. Yes we got the 'punch me' demo and he moved...quite easily. Personally, I found that he had limited knowledge and a very large ego to go with it. Perhaps I am not knowledgable enough to know what I was watching, but I do know that he is not welcomed back in my dojo. I have had other opportunities to see him in action and nothing I saw changed my opinion.

In all fairness, there are people who I respect that do like him...so that says something. He just was not my kind of karateka...

j

Are you with Mr. Kogans group? I know that there was some confusion that night as to what was supposed to happen, Ito thought he was coming to teach...... Mr. Kogan did not.. a simple lack of communication, but this led to some awkward ness.

I have seen no evidence of ego in this man, but I wasnt there that night so I cant say it did not happen.

Where have you seen him since... you and I may have met.

Mike
    Old Dragon

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dragon
    Are you with Mr. Kogans group? I know that there was some confusion that night as to what was supposed to happen, Ito thought he was coming to teach...... Mr. Kogan did not.. a simple lack of communication, but this led to some awkward ness.

I have seen no evidence of ego in this man, but I wasnt there that night so I cant say it did not happen.

Where have you seen him since... you and I may have met.

Mike
    Not with Dan's group, though I do know and have a great deal of respect for Dan and Onaga sensei. I am in Matsumura Kenpo (Kuda sensei). Ito apparently thought he was coming to teach at my dojo too. Why, I do not know, he was not invited to teach. He was invited by one of my old students who knew him to come and visit. He assumed that meant he was going to teach. That says a lot in and of itself.

To be honest, now that the cat is out of the bag, I seriously question his 'training' and did not get the impression he knew very much at all.

I have only seen him around Seattle in person at my dojo and at a couple of seminars around town. I have also seen some video footage of him teaching somewhere in Europe.

I am being honest in conveying a personal experience with him. Others may not have the same opinion...

j
    John R. Stebbins
    Seattle Kobukan
    Matsumura Kenpo
    seakobukan@matsumurakenpo.org
    http://www.matsumurakenpo.org

Likes (received)

Default I wasn't there

Is his name Hiroo Ito? Just curious, he visted my dojo a while back...If its the same guy, I would be interested to hear your opinion on his 'ti'...
    Hi John:

I am sorry that I can't offer anything as I was not there when he visited the Issaquah dojo. I would recommend talking directly to Kogan Sensei.

All the best,
    Tim
    Tim Black
    Kokusai Shinjinbukan

Likes (received)

Not with Dan's group, though I do know and have a great deal of respect for Dan and Onaga sensei. I am in Matsumura Kenpo (Kuda sensei). Ito apparently thought he was coming to teach at my dojo too. Why, I do not know, he was not invited to teach. He was invited by one of my old students who knew him to come and visit. He assumed that meant he was going to teach. That says a lot in and of itself.

To be honest, now that the cat is out of the bag, I seriously question his 'training' and did not get the impression he knew very much at all.

I have only seen him around Seattle in person at my dojo and at a couple of seminars around town. I have also seen some video footage of him teaching somewhere in Europe.

I am being honest in conveying a personal experience with him. Others may not have the same opinion...

j

Was one of your seminars the 'Martial University?

I was at that one.

Mike
    Old Dragon

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dragon
    Was one of your seminars the 'Martial University?

I was at that one.

Mike
    yep. but I did not work in the karate groups.
    John R. Stebbins
    Seattle Kobukan
    Matsumura Kenpo
    seakobukan@matsumurakenpo.org
    http://www.matsumurakenpo.org

Likes (received)

yep. but I did not work in the karate groups.

No... neither did I.

Mike
    Old Dragon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2