Jerry Ferguson, born June 30, 1960; died November 14, 2006.

Jerry Ferguson, a star in the world of tournament karate, a great teacher, coach, referee, and friend and mentor to many, died on Tuesday and was laid to rest on Saturday in Snohomish, Washington.

I cannot express enough how saddened I was to hear of Jerry's passing. I hadn't seen him in a couple of years, and was just thinking of visiting him at Family Karate Center the very day he died. But I was late for work, and thought I'd do it another day. An opportunity forever lost.

Jerry was my second karate teacher, at the Washington Karate Association dojo on Evergreen Way in Everett, Washington. He was also a friend. I remember fondly the time Jerry and I took his little brother Mickey and one of Mickey's friends to dinner at Bush Garden Japanese Restaurant in Seattle; Mickey not willing to try the tako sashimi (octopus), and Jerry uging him on.

Then there was the time we saw the movie Remo Williams, and for weeks after that, Jerry would parody lines from the movie, imitating the voice of "Master Chun." (When wolfing down Toshi's Teriyaki prior to class) "You must eat very fast" -- after the movie's "You must run very fast." Or (when writing at his desk went awry) "In Korea, pencils do not break" -- after the movie's "In Korea, door handles do not break." Maybe you had to be there, but it was very funny at the time. But that was Jerry; a great sense of humor that always showed through, even when he was being the strict sensei.

Jerry, you will be missed; but your impact on many, many people will live on.