Likes Likes:  0

Thread: half for yourself?

Likes (received)

Default half for yourself?

one of the basic principles of shorinji kempo is:"half for yourself and half for others", a thing that is practised by a lot of people all over the world. but is not everything you do for others at the same time a thing you do for yourself or more or less a thing you do perhaps only for yourself? what do you think?
    sven hebbe

there will be nothing ...

Likes (received)

Default Another thread just covered that

Jan Lipsius
    少林寺拳法
    Shorinjikempo
    Humboldt University Berlin Branch

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Gandhi

Likes (received)

So what is your point?
    N. Schweizer

Likes (received)

Default Another thread just covered that

Gassho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nina
    So what is your point?
    Quote Originally Posted by JL.
    Another thread just covered that
    Kesshu,
    ______ Jan.
    Jan Lipsius
    少林寺拳法
    Shorinjikempo
    Humboldt University Berlin Branch

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Gandhi

Likes (received)

Default kumite shutai explains this point very nicely.

I think we are here entering the realm of the old egg/chicken debate.

My take on it is as follows :
    The first place where you apply it is in your dojo. Do train half for yourself, half for the growth of others. In that respect, you apply directly KUMITE SHUTAI, one of the cornerstones of SK : the pivotal role of practicing in pairs, and truly seeing the other half of the pair as a partner.
    Help any kenshi that you know can benefit from your knowledge, your experience. If every kenshi strives to make their partner grow and improve during pair practice, the "ball" is gonna be passed back to him at some stage. You may one day benefit from the advice of a kenshi that was made to improve through someone you helped once.
    Here is an anecdote, from my training today in Brixton's dojo : my training partner, Phil, had trouble with getting the right momentum to perform (morote)kote maki gaeshi . Well, I chose and offered to let him do it many times over, again and again on my same wrist. I cannot describe how rewarding the genuine smile on his face felt when he got at last the very point he was trying to achieve, namely the right way to unbalance me and get me to fall. My wrist did hurt slightly more than I would have liked, but it was worth it. I personnally get the same "kick" out of my own progress than out of the people I practice with... actually thinking of it, I find the high I get out of other's achievements more lasting. That's me.
    Lastly I would say that the successful path to technically progressing and enriching one's life cannot be achieved healthily without the "half for others" part. Because human nature being what it is people who train exclusively selfishly will never be offered knowledge from others, and as you can only get practical knowledge from someone else ... !

Gassho!

Likes (received)

Mr Blue Popovic..... I seriously think this is not your real name, if it is then apologies for doubting, if its not then please follow forum rules and sign all posts with your real name thanks.
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org

Likes (received)

Steve,

Blue is an ikkyu at Mayfair. I'll vouch for it being his real name.
    Steve Malton
    Shorinji Kempo
    Oxford Dojo

Likes (received)

I am not offended nor surprised.

I get it quite often. Blue Popovic is indeed my full name. Not common, I admit. I got the family name from my father , who is of of serbian origins though now and has been for a long time , a french citizen. I myself hold a french passport. I was christened with a french first name, that, with the blessing of my own parents I changed into Blue about 8 years ago, while I lived in Australia, because I pushed my freedom to being called the way I WANT, not the way my parents decided, without asking me, the day they legally had to register me after my birth. Blue IS a real first name, and it is mine!!! I claim it as mine as strongly as I claim my mind as my own.
    No offense taken.

By the way, Steve, thanks for the support.

Gassho!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Popovic
    I am not offended nor surprised.

I get it quite often. Blue Popovic is indeed my full name. Not common, I admit. I got the family name from my father , who is of of serbian origins though now and has been for a long time , a french citizen. I myself hold a french passport. I was christened with a french first name, that, with the blessing of my own parents I changed into Blue about 8 years ago, while I lived in Australia, because I pushed my freedom to being called the way I WANT, not the way my parents decided, without asking me, the day they legally had to register me after my birth. Blue IS a real first name, and it is mine!!! I claim it as mine as strongly as I claim my mind as my own.
    No offense taken.

By the way, Steve, thanks for the support.

Gassho!
    Did you choose the name because you were in Australia? As you no doubt know, it is an old Aussie nickname, mainly in the country and outback.
    Robert Gassin
    Melbourne ShorinjiKempo Branch
    Australia

"Never fight an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you with experience"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Gassin
    Did you choose the name because you were in Australia? As you no doubt know, it is an old Aussie nickname, mainly in the country and outback.
    G'Day rob!
    I know, I get this one often too LOL My name is pronounced as in the color, not bluey!!! I chose it because I have had a near clinical addiction to the color for as long as I can remember. The sight of anything blue calms me, makes me happy. It's very hard to describe. I cannot help it. Like a designer friend of mine from Sydney would put it " you are to this color what Imelda Marcos is to shoes".

I'm looking forward to my next trip to Oz (hopefully around Japan's Taikai in November next year) which should include at least a handful of days in Melbourne and will doubtless come train with you guys.
    If you or any kenshis come visit London, please do get in touch, It'll be my pleasure to welcome you and show you around.

Gassho.

Likes (received)

So thats "2 Blue's" in ShorinjiKempo........ There is a kenshi who is the club captain (if memory serves correctly) at the Hollywood branch in the US (or there was a year or so ago )......
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org