Likes Likes:  0

Thread: half for yourself?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Likes (received)

Default half for yourself?

one of the basic principles of shorinji kempo is:"half for yourself and half for others", a thing that is practised by a lot of people all over the world. but is not everything you do for others at the same time a thing you do for yourself or more or less a thing you do perhaps only for yourself? what do you think?
    sven hebbe

there will be nothing ...

Likes (received)

Default Another thread just covered that

Jan Lipsius
    少林寺拳法
    Shorinjikempo
    Humboldt University Berlin Branch

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Gandhi

Likes (received)

So what is your point?
    N. Schweizer

Likes (received)

Default Another thread just covered that

Gassho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nina
    So what is your point?
    Quote Originally Posted by JL.
    Another thread just covered that
    Kesshu,
    ______ Jan.
    Jan Lipsius
    少林寺拳法
    Shorinjikempo
    Humboldt University Berlin Branch

"An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind." Gandhi

Likes (received)

Default kumite shutai explains this point very nicely.

I think we are here entering the realm of the old egg/chicken debate.

My take on it is as follows :
    The first place where you apply it is in your dojo. Do train half for yourself, half for the growth of others. In that respect, you apply directly KUMITE SHUTAI, one of the cornerstones of SK : the pivotal role of practicing in pairs, and truly seeing the other half of the pair as a partner.
    Help any kenshi that you know can benefit from your knowledge, your experience. If every kenshi strives to make their partner grow and improve during pair practice, the "ball" is gonna be passed back to him at some stage. You may one day benefit from the advice of a kenshi that was made to improve through someone you helped once.
    Here is an anecdote, from my training today in Brixton's dojo : my training partner, Phil, had trouble with getting the right momentum to perform (morote)kote maki gaeshi . Well, I chose and offered to let him do it many times over, again and again on my same wrist. I cannot describe how rewarding the genuine smile on his face felt when he got at last the very point he was trying to achieve, namely the right way to unbalance me and get me to fall. My wrist did hurt slightly more than I would have liked, but it was worth it. I personnally get the same "kick" out of my own progress than out of the people I practice with... actually thinking of it, I find the high I get out of other's achievements more lasting. That's me.
    Lastly I would say that the successful path to technically progressing and enriching one's life cannot be achieved healthily without the "half for others" part. Because human nature being what it is people who train exclusively selfishly will never be offered knowledge from others, and as you can only get practical knowledge from someone else ... !

Gassho!

Likes (received)

Mr Blue Popovic..... I seriously think this is not your real name, if it is then apologies for doubting, if its not then please follow forum rules and sign all posts with your real name thanks.
    Steve Williams

Harrow Branch.
    Shorinji Kempo UK.
    www.ukskf.org