Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kurama-ryu kenjutsu

Likes (received)

Default Kurama-ryu kenjutsu

Hi All!
    I have a some pictures of Kurama ryu kenjutsu performed at this years Meiji enbu( will post them later , i am at the office right now!). Intrestingly they seem to use two very diffrent types of bokken. One looks almost exactly like a Kashima Shinryu or Maniwa Nen Ryu bokken (fat, straight with a huge tsuba , in this case wood covered with leather). The other is much thinner and curved and without a tsuba. It reminds me of the elegant Yagyu Shinkage Ryu bokken but is a bit sturdier. My question is why two diffrent bokken? First hand anwser is easy. They have kata impossible to performe without a durable bokken with a tsuba and other where this bokken is not needed. Is it possible that diffrent sets of kata in the ryu stem from diffrent sources?
    Regards and thanks in advance!
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

Yes, there are two ryuha that use the name "Kurama" in their title.

There's Kurama-ryu kenjutsu (鞍馬流剣術 ), headed by the Shibata family in Tokyo who almost always demonstrate at Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai embu in Kanto and Kansai. They use very thick, heavy bokuto.

The other ryuha is Kurama Yoshin-ryu (鞍馬楊心流 ) in Kyushu (Kagoshima I think). They teach kenjutsu, iaijutsu, bojutsu, jujutsu, kogusoku, shurikenjutsu and "Monomijutsu" (Ninjutsu).

Both ryuha are very different to each other and the only real similarities are that they are Japanese and have Kurama in their title.

Likes (received)

Hi Steve!
    Thanks for your answer! Is it possible that both ryuha demonstrated together? The guy in front with the white headband is the same in both pictures!
    Here are the pics.
    Best
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

Hello,

I have to run to work, but I thought I would quickly chime in.

Those aren't pictures of Kurama-ryu at all. That is Yagyu Shingan-ryu under Kajitsuka sensei. (The name of the school is also written in the background.)

Regards,

Ron Beaubien

Likes (received)

Yep,

The Ronster is right, it's Goto-ha Yagyu Shingan-ryu, headed by Kajitsuka Sensei. Their dojo also teaches Yagyu Shinkage-ryu heiho.

Likes (received)

Thanks Ron! Thanks Steve!
    I never seen Yagyu-Shingan-ryu kenjutsu before. I am pleased that i was on the right track with the Yagyu-Shinkage-Ryu bokken.
    I read in a article about YagyuShinkage Ryu by David Hall( published by the IHS) that Muto Masao Soke was also the headmaster of the Otsubo-Ha Yagyu Shinkage Ryu (founded by Otsubo Shiho)? Is this the same group? The type of bokken used in the first picture looks almost exactly like the bokken used by Kashima Shinryu and Maniwa Nen Ryu. A member of the Kashima Shinryu here in germany told me that there bokken are sold at bokkenshop.com under the name "Kurama-Ryu-Bokken". I guess thats why i was convinced the pictures shows Kurama Ryu!
    Best
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

It is the same group of Shingan/Shinkage Ryu yeah..Kajitsuka Sensei is now head of the organisation following the passing of Muto Sensei..The Shingan Ryu sword is good to watch too..
    As for the Bokuto, they sell many different types at Bokkenshop..And not always perfect for the schools in question..It is better to be advised by your sensei than to buy one type because of the nametag of course..The Tennen Rishin Ryu type is cool though...
    Regards.
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by fifthchamber
    As for the Bokuto, they sell many different types at Bokkenshop..And not always perfect for the schools in question..It is better to be advised by your sensei than to buy one type because of the nametag of course..The Tennen Rishin Ryu type is cool though...
    Regards.
    Thanks for the info Ben!
    Actually I am not looking for a new bokke. I am just working on a article about kata (diffrent aspects), which also include the role of trainings weapons in kata. I use the picture a friend made at this years Meiji Enbu to illustrate it.
    How is Goto-Ha written in kanji?
    Best!
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

後藤派柳生心眼流
    I believe...
    You could ask them of course...
    Goto-ha Yagyu Shingan-ryu
    Or
    Second version..
    While Japanese would be prefered I am sure they could manage some questions if they were well phrased and you let them know what it would be used for..
    Regards..
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。