Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: MJER Instuctors being sued!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by hyaku
    Working for a Buddhist sect for over twenty years I have seen everything from priests withtwo wives to regular religious meets in the yakitori (barbecue shop).

To paraphrase one of my favorite authors.... Two Wives!!! He's either the luckiest man in the world, or the biggest fool since creation.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

Surely the luckiest man in the world has two girlfriends, preferably on good terms and with mutual umm...Interests?
    Wait...We're derailing this valiant attempt at lucidity by Mr. Karazosis...
    Ben Sharples.
    智は知恵、仁は思いやり、勇は勇気と説いています。

Likes (received)

Default Mr. Karazosis

For someone who claims that he is leaving us poor deluded folk behind, he sure seems to hang around.

Just like certain entertainment types who threaten to leave the United States if certain politicians are elected.

Over and over again. ;-)

Ignore him. It will drive him crazy.

Britt Nichols

Likes (received)

For someone who claims that he is leaving us poor deluded folk behind, he sure seems to hang around.
    The problem, I think, is one of forum protocol and I've seen it happen quite a bit over the years. It becomes a rhetorical comedy.

Someone will say "Screw you, I'm leaving." This is then followed by a bunch of posts taking a parting shot at the guy (who may very well deserve it), then the "Screw You" guy comes back to answer parting shots. Rinse and repeat.

This is, I think what is going on here. I've found that if you really think the community would be better off without somebody, it is best to ignore them rather than re-engage. As I said, the parting shots may be justified, but this is balanced against giving the guy resistance to fight against.

I also think it is simple human nature to check back in to see if you are being talked about. That's probably what Tom did. He saw the comments and decided to answer them. This doesn't mean that you can never reference past comments by someone, but directly calling their character into question is probably going to get them back at the keyboard. We can certainly say what we wish, but the return of Tom should not be a surprise in this case.

It's tough to hold off on the "Good riddance" posts, but most of the time, those will get a response. Tom will say that he said goodbye so why are we still talking about him? We will say he deserved it by behaving like a troll. Neither one really has the high ground, in my opinion. (If he really didn't care about us, he wouldn't be logging in....if we didn't care about him we wouldn't be talking about him.)

Getting the last word in on these forum things seems to be a bid deal.

Kevin Cantwell

Likes (received)

wait, didn't he leave already?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Johnson
    Half the time I haven't a clue what you're trying to say, the other half it's an effort.
    Could be that English is not his primary language. He is from Montreal which means that French is the official language of Quebec (and Montreal).
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Tom

Its not "Mr CXT" its just "cxt."

And as far as the bujutsu being "japanese owned and sanctioned" you seem to have missed the essential point of the entire discussion.

In this case, a " japanese bujutsu" is de-faco "owned" by a dude in Argentina, might even own more than one.

We can wax all zen about the specific's of teaching and parse things down with a laser fine distinction of what is "ownership"--but at the end of the day some guy has figured out a way to manipulate his local legal system to assert ownership of stuff that really belongs to other people.

Try thinking of it like this.

Say I figure out a way to take legal ownership of YOUR ACTUAL NAME---I own the rights to the words/designation "Tom Karazozis."

Now I don't "really" own YOU personally, your still you, I can't take actual ownership of all the various traits, abilites, thoughts, feelings, experiences etc that make up "you."

I can however sue you each and everytime that you try and use your OWN NAME for anything, unless of course you wish to pay me to use it.
    Every time you post on this site, every time you sign your name to anything, every time your name appears in public, every time you say or speak or write your OWN name----you have to write me a check or get sued.

Not a very exact comparision of course, but it should give you a fair idea of just what a pain in the rear the LEAST of the ramifications of this situation might be.

Post-hoc rationalizations aside, this is not a good situation.
    Chris Thomas

"While people are entitled to their illusions, they are not entitled to a limitless enjoyment of them and they are not entitled to impose them upon others."

"Team Cynicism" MVP 2005-2006
    Currently on "Injured/Reserve" list due to a scathing Sarcasm pile-up.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by George Kohler
    Could be that English is not his primary language. He is from Montreal which means that French is the official language of Quebec (and Montreal).
    If i'm not mistaken by the sound of his name, he's of greek descent, most if not all people with greek background are anglophone montrealers.

Back to your normal programing.
    Hishaam Bendiar

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Mahan
    Hey Tom, if you run across an old thread where Carl acts anything like you. Please do post it.

You seem to have a lot of ideas about how the world works. You might want to keep some of those to yourself for awhile. It's the best way to avoid foot in mouth disease. It is possible for you to have the wrong idea about people.
    Funny enough here you go then!

http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthre...chi+uchi+kurai

This whole thread resulted in lawyer letters being sent to the one who was arguing about the situation. Very ironic from one group that complains about lawyer and copyright issues budo ethics etc...

Quite unbelievable that a lawyer letter was sent for such a meaningless discussion.

This just proves that when people act this way they have MONEY to lose and this touches them greatly. If their budo was that great this kind of stuff would not touch them.
    Sebastien Cyr 義真
    春風館道場
    Shunpukan Dojo

Likes (received)

Carl certainly seems argumentative in that thread, but so do most of the other principles in that exchange. Tom has not been acting argumentative. He's been downright rude and crude on multiple occasions. I see nothing in that linked thread where Carl refers to a sex act or anything remotely as vulgar.
    Charles Mahan

Iaido - Breaking down bad habits,
    and building new ones.

Likes (received)

If their budo was that great this kind of stuff would not touch them.
    I thought the whole point of this thread was the issue of the possessive.

What does "their" mean in the context of a Japanese ryu if legal ownership can be granted by the courts? Who can actually use terms like "my budo" in referring to specific schools?

Yes, there is the ideal recourse to the esoteric nature of budo and what one derives from it, ("nobody can ever own my budo because it is part of my soul" type stuff), but this thread was dealing with the reality of ownership in the 21stC.

Should those who traditionally have been seen as owners and caretakers of ryu be forced to fight legal battles for the "right" to continue to use the name of their traditions? That was the question I thought was being posed by the thread.

On the one hand, seems pretty easy to say “such is life (and globalization)…deal with it.” On the other, there are some interesting academic issues that arise from stuff like this and they throw a light on the where the world is headed in terms of possession and ownership.

Kevin Cantwell

Likes (received)

Sounds to me like there are more than enough sour grapes in this thread to make a case of cheap whine!!
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

At the risk of restarting this flame war, I found something in the e-budo archives that I thought relvant to the discussion here http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4521

Specifically, from Karl Friday sensei:

While bugei ryuha didn't license and promulagate branch schools on the natori pattern, they DO seem to have PROHIBITED them. That is, they do appear to have made efforts to stop unauthorized use of a ryuha name, which amounts to affirmation (in the negative) of much the same sort of proprietary rights to artistic/intellectual property claimed by other arts. Certainly it was not the case that any student, or even any "graduate" (recipient of menkyo kaiden) was free to claim to teach xyz-ryu under that name.
    --Neil Melancon--

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10