Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Great book

Likes (received)

Default Great book

Check out these reviews.... need I say more? HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...283155&s=books
    John Borter Sensei
    Air National Guard Jujitsu Club and
    The Jujitsu School of Self-Defense
    Teaching "Modern Jujitsu" for Effective Self-Defense

Likes (received)

Default Maybe my expectations were to high.

I just finished "The Book of Martial Power" By Steven Pearlman, and while I'd say he is obviously a thoughtful person.

I don't think any new points or insites were revealed. Insites and new thoughts are what i like to read for.
    But then you can't really learn martial arts from a book either.

It was a good book, and a thoughtful book, but not in my opinion a "great book".

"Zen in the Martial Arts" by Joe Hyams, which I recently re-read remains my favorite.

I would like to add that "Mind Over Muscle" by Jigoro Kana, offered some deaper meanings, and that I enjoyed that a great deal.

Mr. Pearman did maintain a humble thoughtful tone, and seemed to avoid any favoritisim in his analogies, and I think he is a person of good character.

I was just a little let disapointed in the book.

Likes (received)

Default Book of Martial Power

All,

I finished the book a few weeks ago and thought highly of the content. Mr. Pearlman does address the fact that each principle could be a book all by itself and I think the main weakness of the book is the same weakness I find in all my training ventures---not enough time (or in the case of the book, not long enough to cover each principle in the detail it deserves). Nevertheless, I highly recommend the book as it gives a great deal of information, albeit in summary form, for principle based movement.

Yours in Budo,

Andrew De Luna
    Renshinkan Daito Ryu