Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: "What is Aiki" thread

Likes (received)

Thanks, Cady, but Ihave to be very honest with you. The usual examination of "ai-ki" that I have found in most "aiki-jujutsu" discussions is not really the direction my own personal beliefs would take me. And some years back I attended an all-weekend seminar with Okamoto out on Long Island and I know that I won't be doing that again.

If its any help, the approach that I take to the matter of "ai-ki" is less as a force to be harnessed and more as a tactical or strategic approach. In this way I view it, at its most basic expression, as simply the counterpoint to "ki-ai". Plain and simple.

Now, before I get tuned-up on for not knowing what the hell I am talking about let me also say that I have a view of "ai-ki" as a combative methodology. In such a case, the skill level of the practitioner is such that he is able to attune himself to the response levels of the attacker so as to not just anticipate, but use that anticipatory skill to control and overcome his attacker. However, this is more of an original thought and not one that I have found much discussed. Thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by glad2bhere
    If its any help, the approach that I take to the matter of "ai-ki" is less as a force to be harnessed and more as a tactical or strategic approach. In this way I view it, at its most basic expression, as simply the counterpoint to "ki-ai". Plain and simple.

Now, before I get tuned-up on for not knowing what the hell I am talking about let me also say that I have a view of "ai-ki" as a combative methodology. In such a case, the skill level of the practitioner is such that he is able to attune himself to the response levels of the attacker so as to not just anticipate, but use that anticipatory skill to control and overcome his attacker. However, this is more of an original thought and not one that I have found much discussed. Thoughts?
    I belive that this view/interpretation of aiki has been covered in one or more of the previous "what is aiki?" type threads here at E-Budo and also over on the AikidoJournal forums; Toby Threadgill on the Bugei forums has a well-written short essay on the subject.

From the The Bugei Sword Discussion Forum FAQs section on Aikido, Aikijutsu & Aikijujutsu (http://swordforumbugei.com/phpBB2/vi...c.php?t=1202):

"Aiki" is actually an old name for a group of kenjutsu tactics that employed mental inertia, disruption and involuntary reflex to defeat ones opponent...
    In taijutsu, aiki principles are most effectively employed in conjunction with jujutsu waza....hence the name aikijujutsu. At its highest level of execution aikijujutsu is characterized by sophisticated jujutsu waza which employs mental disruption and soft joint locks to throw or immobilize an attacker. Aiki taken even farther in taijutsu becomes the aforementioned aiki no waza (aiki jutsu) which almost totally eschews joint locking in favor of very subtle kuzushi and mental disruption to defeat an attack. Most aiki no waza should be viewed as a study of physical and mental dynamics as opposed to effective self defense."

-Tobin E Threadgill / Kaicho
    Takamura ha Shindo Yoshin Kai

Respectfully,
    Jim Yang

Likes (received)

Thanks, Jim:

Thats the sort of information I was seeking.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

Default Roppokai

Mr. Sims,

If you have unresolved issues with the way you were treated in my home, please let me know. I'm sorry if we offended you, but from your tone, it seems that we did.

Howard Popkin
    New York Roppokai

Likes (received)

Thanks, but I have no unresolved issues. The nice thing about being 56 years old is that I am capable of formulating and standing by the opinions that I form. Further, I enjoy the right to be able to express those opinions when the situation merits it. If memory serves, the last time I exercized this right I received a telephone call from you asking me to refrain from comment. I've always had kind of a bad taste in my mouth from allowing myself to be cowed by you on that occasion. If you like, I am perfectly capable of correcting that mistake now, and in this very public venue.

The way I see it you could just let this subject drop and allow me to continue on in my research. Since my experience with you, your group and Okamoto Sensei was neither a benefit nor a loss there is no point, for my part, of going farther.

If, OTOH you would like to pursue this, I am fully capable of relating my experience, in painful detail, and allowing the mental chips to fall through people's imaginations as they may.

Were it my choice to make, I would probably just let things go, and might not have even made the comment you posted thus far. It is not, however my choice--- and, of course, your mileage may vary. FWIW.

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Likes (received)

Default Roppokai

Bruce,

As you said this is a public forum. Most times I dont post, just read for enjoyment. I do usually respond to threats like the one that you just made.

If you feel the need to post your experiences, please feel free to do so.

It would be my pleasure to do so as well.

Again, this is a public forum.

Howard Popkin

Just speaking for myself as a fella who rather enjoy lurking in this forum as much as possible, might I suggest that there is no way on God's green earth that this will end nicely for anyone involved. I'd suggest a smile, a shrug, and I'll buy a round.

On the original topic... I once defined one aspect of aiki as taking advantage of ADD because oooh look a chicken!

See, that's why I don't post on this forum...

Likes (received)

Ooh, aiki threats. Does this mean I'll soon be seeing fireballs?

Let me get the popcorn out.

Likes (received)

Default Roppokai

Sorry,

Fireball is a Shihan level technique, I'm only up to lightning bolts

Thanks

Howard Popkin

Likes (received)

That's okay. Lightning bolts are enough to pop Joe's popcorn.
    Cady Goldfield

Likes (received)

Default Now you're insulting me

If you look at my last name, maybe you can figure out what my childhood nickname was ?

Likes (received)

Smile

As a person not too long ago stated on the TV

"can't we all just get along..."

Take the high road fellas.

As far as what is AIKI is concerned... well, every aiki school has its own definitions even from branch to branch and in some cases even from level of initiation to advanced levels. But IMHO the only way to see what each school really perceives as AIKI is to experience it for yourself.

Just my 2 cents, Thanks for listening....I'm out :-)

Jose Garrido
    Jose' delCristo Garrido
    Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Mainline Tradition
    NYC Metro Area Branch Dojo
    facebook.com/daitoryudojonj

Likes (received)

Default "you ready? you ready? Let's get it on!"

[Post deleted by user]
    Last edited by Nathan Scott; 11th June 2014 at 00:06.
    Nathan Scott
    Nichigetsukai

"Put strength into your practice, and avoid conceit. It is easy enough to understand a strategy and guard against it after the matter has already been settled, but the reason an opponent becomes defeated is because they didn't learn of it ahead of time. This is the nature of secret matters. That which is kept hidden is what we call the Flower."

- Zeami Motokiyo, 1418 (Fūshikaden)

Likes (received)

Just to give some light to the topic, in our new book "Daito-ryu. History and Technique" distributed by Budovideos.com (and by the way available within the week - I sent today all the boxes with the book by Fedex), there's an extensive section about defining Aiki, most important because it presents direct definitions of "Aiki" "Kiai" "Aikinojutsu" and "Aikijujutsu" by Takeda Tokimune.

Sorry if it sounded like a commercial, but I really think it would be interesting to read what a great master like him said about the definition of "Aiki".

Best regards,

Giacomo Merello
    Giacomo Merello

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Scott

Whether you guys opt to air your laundry publicly, for better or for worse, is something I'll leave up to ya'll to decide. It's been done before, and the results are usually negative for both sides, but sometimes it is necessary. Obviously, airing things publicly is a last result when you're sure that working differences out privately will yield negative results (hint).

Regards,
    Thanks, Nathan, but I think you can keep your Ref whistle in your pocket for the time being. OTOH, your in-put into the original question would be very much appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
    Bruce W Sims
    www.midwesthapkido.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast