Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help : Lineage of Jishukan Ryu Jujitsu & Shuho Sugita

Likes (received)

Question Help : Lineage of Jishukan Ryu Jujitsu & Shuho Sugita

Can anyone help me.

I am trying to find out some more information on the lineage of Jishukan Ryu Jujitsu, and in particular Soke Shuho Sugita.

The web sites of Jishukan Ryu in Australia are out dated, and the information on Soke Sugita is very limited (And I don't read Japanese, so Japanese Google is out).

Below are the web sites of the clubs teaching Jishukan Ryu in Australia.

1) Jishukan Australia
    www.jishukanaustralia.com.au
    www.budokan.com.au/jishukan.htm
    www.jishukan.websyte.com.au

---AND---

2) Peter Morton Academy of Judo Jujitsu Karate Inc.
    www.petermortonjujitsu.org.au

**I know there is some bad history between James Laughlin's group and Peter Morton's group (Mainly after Sugita passed away in 1983, when there was a split), but that is the past, and we need to move on. But I really need more info on Sugita.***

...But if anyone is interested, here is some more info on the two groups founders...

James Laughlin...
    http://www.jishukanaustralia.com.au/...p?o=MCwxNTI%3D

Peter Morton...
    http://www.petermortonjujitsu.org.au/frog.htm
    Some more history...
    http://www.petermortonjujitsu.org.au/history.htm

Here is the information in Jishukan and Sugita so far...

Some of the content was from an a4 typed page (and expanded on) from Jishukan Ryu Japan from 1970's tat I have personally seen. The various clubs have elaborated on it.

"Shuho Sugita was born in Shimozuki and was brought up in Yokohama, Japan. He inherited his martial arts interest from his father and went into training in early childhood with Master Saito, one of the great masters of the classical martial arts of that time.

He received instruction from Master Saito directly in Jujitsu-Kenpo, Hayanawa (quick rope) and JoJitsu for several years and was considered a genius at an early age.

At the age of thirteen, he received an Honourable Certificate and went on a pilgrimage to many places in search of new masters, receiving further instruction at various dojos including the Kodokan Takehashi dojo, the Shiroken dojo and the Kitoro Kobokan.

Sugita always said:

"The essence of Japanese Martial Art must be formed on the basis of Koryu. Without practising the Koryu a man cannot win overall."

In 1947, Shuho Sugita opened the Jishukan Honbu in Yokohama, Japan, and commenced instructing in his own modern jujitsu style, the Jishukan Ryu.

Soke Sugita combined the research he had done with medical science, anatomy, dynamics and physiology, and created a modern original style of jujitsu designed as an attack-defence art. Soke Sugita selected the techniques that best suited the modern times and requirements for self-defence.

The Jishukan Ryu, as taught by Soke Sugita in 1947, combined techniques of Kenpo Karate and Jujitsu, with JoJitsu and Kappo (resuscitation) only taught to Black Belts. It is not meant to be a competitive sport in its complete form but, rather, an effective form of self-defence.

Through the constant development of these lethal skills, students begin to appreciate how fragile life is and, in turn, develop strong morals and self-control. The motto of the style is "Be master of yourself", which directly echoes the translation of Jishukan (the school for personal development).

A permanent committee, consisting of Soke Sugita and Shihans Okamoto, Yano, Yamanaka and Kanihira, manned the Jishukan Ryu until Soke Sugita's retirement.

Soke Sugita retired from active instruction in the 1980s and worked in the Jishukan clinic, practising shiatsu and providing medical care, taught to him by his father since childhood, to his students. Soke Sugita passed away in 1983 from lung cancer."

I understand that Okamoto is now the head of Jishukan Ryu in Japan, and the Honbu is no longer in Yokohama.

"In July 2002, the Kanagawa Police accepted Jishukan as a martial art to assist the Police in their personal protection without the use of weapons.

At present, Jishukan Ryu Dojo's exist in Yokosuka (Japan), Australia and in the USA."

Any help/info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Likes (received)

Hello Jeroen,

I've sent you a private message.
    Daniel Lee

Likes (received)

Not sure if anyone is checking on this anymore but here is another potential location for information

http://www.docping.com/content/view/14/51/
    bryan white

Likes (received)

Default shuho sugit

having trained in jishukan for some years it has been impossible to get any more information than you have already got.
    the japanese dojo is very small and operated by senior shihan who visit australia rarely.
    they have only just allowed us to learn the senior techniques in the last five years.
    my understanding is that okamoto is the head, but it is also run in tamdem with family of soke.
    it seems that the school of jishukan in australia is the largest in the world of this style of modern/traditional art. it is the belief that since so few train in this style of martial art in japan they are of the inclination that it must not end and are thus handing on there techniques.
    having tried to contact the usa it seems from our info that there is only one school operating there.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by bmrefrig View Post
    having trained in jishukan for some years it has been impossible to get any more information than you have already got.
    the japanese dojo is very small and operated by senior shihan who visit australia rarely.
    they have only just allowed us to learn the senior techniques in the last five years.
    my understanding is that okamoto is the head, but it is also run in tamdem with family of soke.
    it seems that the school of jishukan in australia is the largest in the world of this style of modern/traditional art. it is the belief that since so few train in this style of martial art in japan they are of the inclination that it must not end and are thus handing on there techniques.
    having tried to contact the usa it seems from our info that there is only one school operating there.
    Thanks for the information. I started training with the Peter Morton Academy in 1989 and hold a 4th Dan with the club. Peter Morton was gradded in Japan to 6th Dan with Jishukan Ryu. In fact I have personally inspected the certificates from Peter Morton. Also a certificate making him 'General' of Jishukan Ryu in Australia. Also, when Sugita's son died he sent Peter Morton a certificate adopting him as his sin and named hi Yuu-Hoo, and presented him his Hanko.

We now teach all of the techniques in the way Peter learnt them. I understand these slighty vary from the current Jishukan Ryu techniques. Plus the Kodokan Judo Syllabus, and Boxing. We dont teach the full Kappo course, or Jodo unfortunatly.

The previous post also provides a Link to Pings Dojo. I have witnessed a photo of Peter Morton in Japan durring the late 1970's with a man Peter refered to as Mr. Ping - with a beard.

Its is a real pitty that there is no more information about Sugita.

Likes (received)

thanks for your reply,
    i think if you were to visit the canberra school of jishukan you would not recognize the techniques as they are taught in the school today.
    there are two distinct syllabus between senior and junior schools.

as to the naming of peter morton, it seems that as each person is graded to godan and above and given the title of shihan it is japanese protocol to give these people a dojo name which is not unusual in traditional martial arts schools, in jishukan this is always related back to soke name of shuho, showing respect to him as father of the art.

the certificates you have seen would be the same as the shihan certificates that are issued today.

the above information is only my observations and do not reflect the thoughts of the senior members of jishukan.
    regards brendan.

ps: i too have recently seen the photo that you talk of and have been advised that the person in question is yano shihan if they are wearing a purple shihan belt.

Likes (received)

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for the info.

About the photo, I was mistaken. Yes, Yano was the person with the beard. I have seen a photo of Ping with Peter when he visited the Honbu with Sonny Wombell.

Peter's got a lot of old photos I am hoping to scan and upload in an online library - with his permission. Peter Morton (and our members) have great admiration for Soke Sugita, Yano, and the Jishukan Ryu of Sugita.

I'm glad to see that Jishukan is still active as it forms part of our the unique history/lineage of our club.

For your interest ...

Here the 2002 photo
    http://bp1.blogger.com/_siVoa6peT00/.../s1600-h/1.JPG

Here is Peter Morton and Soke Sugita in 1980
    http://bp2.blogger.com/_siVoa6peT00/...rtonSugita.jpg

I also spend some time last year re-mastering some club logos. Here is teh Jishukan Ryu one
    http://bp2.blogger.com/_siVoa6peT00/...+logo+1947.jpg
    and ..
    http://bp2.blogger.com/_siVoa6peT00/...+Logo+1962.jpg

Thanks for your feedback again.

- Jeroen
    Last edited by mmsebudo; 21st January 2008 at 21:49.

Likes (received)

Also, another forum member eMailed me regarding the history if Shuho Sugita

"Jishukan is comprised of kodokan judo, kenpo, jojutsu, haya-nawa and jujutsu. I do not know what style of kenpo, jojutsu or hayanawa is involved, but upon visiting the Hakko-ryu jujutsu honbu in Saitama was told Sugita-soke studied Hakko-ryu jujutsu and shiatsu healing there. In fact, his name "Shuho" is a martial arts name and not his birth name, with the "ho" suffix awarded to graduates of the Hakko-ryu system. "

Very interesting

Mark Murray Guest

Please sign your full name in each post. This is a rule on E-Budo.

Thank you,
    Mark

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by bmrefrig View Post
    Q. Does anyone have any current photos of Shihan Okomoto of Jishukan Honbu?

Q. Does anyone know his first name?

Q "family of soke" Anymore info?

Thanks.

Likes (received)

Default from N. Okamoto Japan

Quote Originally Posted by mmsebudo View Post
    Q. Does anyone have any current photos of Shihan Okomoto of Jishukan Honbu?

Q. Does anyone know his first name?

Q "family of soke" Anymore info?

Thanks.
    Hello, I'm Shihan Okamoto's son.
    His full name is Hisama Okamoto.

Soke's family is only his son who age is similer as Shihan Okamoto.
    He is doing well, but he have'n't had training so long time.

Mark Murray Guest

Please,
    As I've mentioned before, you must post your full name in each and every post. It is a rule here on E-Budo.

Thank you,
    Mark

Likes (received)

Note that the North American home for Jishukan is in Saline Michigan, headed by the Honorable Ping Shudo Shihon Dono.

Check this site for more information:

http://www.docping.com
    http://www.docping.com/content/view/14/51/

Likes (received)

Jishukan Ryu is a school of martial arts founded in Japan by the late Soke Shuho Sugita. Jishukan Ryu provides instruction in three complete self defense martial arts: Kempo karate, Jujitsu, and Jojitsu.