Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver, B.C.: Any Interest in a Nakamura Ryu Batto-Do Study Group?

Likes (received)

Lightbulb Vancouver, B.C.: Any Interest in a Nakamura Ryu Batto-Do Study Group?

I bounced this idea off of Guy Power Sensei, who currently serves as the North American head for Nakamura Ryu Batto-do and he thinks it's a good idea.

By way of background, Nakamura Ryu Batto-Do was founded in 1952 by the late Nakamura Taizaburo Sensei. It's based on Toyama Ryu Iaido, which was implemented in 1925 at the Toyama Military Academy to teach combat-effective techniques to the Japanese soldiers. It's all standing forms and incorporates solo kata, paired forms, and tameshigiri.

Anyone interested? I usually visit my family in Vancouver twice a year, for about two weeks at a time and normally I just train in my aunt's backyard with a bokken, but if there's a group that wants to learn, I'd be happy to teach.

-- Jay

Likes (received)

Sound interesting, but I live on the other side of the Atlantic. A few questions though. What's your rank within Nakamura Ryu Batto-Do and how long have you been training, etc. You're kind of new on this forum, so we... or at least I'm curious about your MA background. This way we know who we're dealing with.

PS welcome on e-budo and enjoy the maham.
    Tijs Dingerdis

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. T.
    Sound interesting, but I live on the other side of the Atlantic. A few questions though. What's your rank within Nakamura Ryu Batto-Do and how long have you been training, etc. You're kind of new on this forum, so we... or at least I'm curious about your MA background. This way we know who we're dealing with.

I've actually been registered on eBudo for a while, just never posted. I'm more active on SwordForum. I'm currently ranked Sandan in Nakamura Ryu Batto-Do and have been studying it since late 1997. I'm one of the senior students in Power Sensei's class here in California. I travel to the Vancouver area twice a year to visit family. I know there are quite a few MJER Iaido schools there, but to my knowledge there isn't a school there that studies Batto-Do. The closest Nakamura Ryu study group to Vancouver is in Yakima, WA, about eight hours away.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by J. Mijares
    ...The closest Nakamura Ryu study group to Vancouver is in Yakima, WA...
    I've been meaning to ask about that. Yakima? YAKIMA?
    Some nice vineyards, some apple orchards, and a lot of dust.

Now if a study group started in Seattle (or even Bellingham; close to Vancouver and not too far from Seattle), I'd be very interested. That would put it on the right side of the mountains, and the right side of the border.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens
    I've been meaning to ask about that. Yakima? YAKIMA?
    Some nice vineyards, some apple orchards, and a lot of dust.

Now if a study group started in Seattle (or even Bellingham; close to Vancouver and not too far from Seattle), I'd be very interested. That would put it on the right side of the mountains, and the right side of the border.
    The study group in Yakima was actually started by Ron Zediker Sensei, who currently resides in the UK. I know that Dave Drawdy, who lurks here once in a while and also studies Nakamura Ryu, has visited them in the past.

The funny thing is that I own a house in Bellingham, but I've be unable to find work there in my field. I do have family in Seattle too who I visit on occasion while in Vancouver... Hmm... No Batto-do in Seattle?

Likes (received)

...I know that Dave Drawdy, who lurks here once in a while and also studies Nakamura Ryu, has visited [Yakima] in the past.
    The artist formerly known as Sergeant Major? If he was in the artillery or mechanized he'd probably feel right at home there. The Yakima Firing Range is a big one.

...The funny thing is that I own a house in Bellingham, but I've be unable to find work there in my field. I do have family in Seattle too who I visit on occasion while in Vancouver... Hmm... No Batto-do in Seattle?
    There're some "questionable" dojo here, and very possibly one or more legitimate dojo -- so many koryu are represented here that it's hard to keep track -- but since you said Yakima was the closest Nakamura Ryu group to Vancouver, I assumed that there is no Nakamura Ryu here.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. T.

I've actually been registered on eBudo for a while, just never posted. I'm more active on SwordForum. I'm currently ranked Sandan in Nakamura Ryu Batto-Do and have been studying it since late 1997. I'm one of the senior students in Power Sensei's class here in California. I travel to the Vancouver area twice a year to visit family. I know there are quite a few MJER Iaido schools there, but to my knowledge there isn't a school there that studies Batto-Do. The closest Nakamura Ryu study group to Vancouver is in Yakima, WA, about eight hours away.
    Dave Drawdy and I will both vouch for Jay.
    Raymond Sosnowski

"Setsunintoh, Katsuninken, Shinmyohken."

Likes (received)

Ray! Good to hear from you. Missed you at Carl McClafferty's Taikai last year in Tucson. I might have training at Fort Belvoir in late February. It'd be nice to see the new dojo.

Brian, if I find my way to Seattle -- I'll be in Vancouver later this week -- I might PM you. That is, if you know some Seattle folks who might be interested in a study group.

Ciao!
    Jay

Likes (received)

...Brian, if I find my way to Seattle -- I'll be in Vancouver later this week -- I might PM you. That is, if you know some Seattle folks who might be interested in a study group.
    I know at least one and could undoubtedly find more if it goes forward.

My PM box is nearly full, so I'll PM you my confidential e-mail adress.

TIA.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Thumbs up hope you'll get your study goup together

Quote Originally Posted by R A Sosnowski
    Dave Drawdy and I will both vouch for Jay.
    Good enough for me

On a more serious note, thanks for the quick response, I'm impressed.

For all you frauds out there, this is how a REAL MAist posts. Grades and links to known legit JSA teachers and easy to check.
    Tijs Dingerdis

Likes (received)

A few members of the UBC MJER guys might be interested in checking this out. Where would you plan on training?
    Kelvin Po
    Vancouver Eishin Ryu Iaido
    UBC Goju Kai Karate

Likes (received)

Smile

Ray! Good to hear from you. Missed you at Carl McClafferty's Taikai last year in Tucson. I might have training at Fort Belvoir in late February. It'd be nice to see the new dojo.

[SNIP]
    Ciao!
    Jay
    Jay,

Sorry to miss Carl's Taikai - too many places to go and not enough time and/or money.

Let us know when you'll be back in our area. New schedule is on our website Capital Area Budokai
    Raymond Sosnowski

"Setsunintoh, Katsuninken, Shinmyohken."

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ice flow
    A few members of the UBC MJER guys might be interested in checking this out. Where would you plan on training?
    Good question about a training space. I didn't think about that. In the past, I've always just used my aunt's backyard. It's good enough for one person, perhaps two. Do you know of any available spaces?

You must train with Inoue Sensei, right? If so, there's a chance we might have met. During past visits to Vancouver, I've dropped by and trained with his Saturday class.

Likes (received)

Default small world

kind of strange that I might be considered a reference for Jay . He's been doing this as long as I have, and more consistently within one style. If I had settled near San Francisco when I got back from Japan, I'd be training under Power-sensei as well (and Jay would be my sempai in that dojo). Jay's a good man, a good swordsman, and a good friend. He's come out and visited us several times. I'd highly recommend him as a teacher.
    The group in Yakima actually got started in sword through Onozaki-sensei, who was Ron's and my first teacher in Japan, and one of Guy's early teachers. Small world. One of Onozaki-sensei's senior students trained in karate under Mack-sensei in Yakima before moving to Japan, eventually introduced Mack-sensei to Onozaki-sensei. Onozaki-sensei came to Yakima to do a seminar, asked Ron to continue to work with them. Pete Hobbs runs their study group, recently promoted to nidan in Nakamura-ryu. Has some good people that train hard.

Dave
    Dave Drawdy
    "the artist formerly known as Sergeant Major"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by socho
    ...Small world. One of Onozaki-sensei's senior students trained in karate under Mack-sensei in Yakima...
    It is a small world indeed.

I first met Morris Mack at the Seattle Open back in the '70s, last spoke to him at the Goodwill Championships in Everett. That was -- what -- late 80s, early 90s?

He used to place consistently among the medalists in weapons kata over the years.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast